What's new

Bose VS Samsung (1 Viewer)

SuperDuckWC

Auditioning
Real Name
Max
Hi guys! I hope you could help me!

I'm looking for a HT and I spoted two models which are:

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10339178&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|79|80|2190&N=4008694&Mo=16&pos=0&No=4&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=2190&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&ec=BCCA-EC13328-Cat80&topnav=

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10340524&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|79|80|2190&N=4008694&Mo=16&pos=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=2190&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&ec=BCCA-EC13328-Cat80&topnav=

Im' tempted by the Bose model, but I was expected for a 7.1 model, but the Samsung model seems to be cool, I checked some reviews on the web and it is well rated. Anyone of you have already tested these models?

If you have to advice one of them, which one it would be?

Or if you have falled in love with another model, could you share it?

Thanks for your answer !!

Max

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
How do I say this?

Neither.

The Samsung is a HTIB which almost always comes with un-forseen pitfalls. If one part of the system fails, like the dvd player, you have to replace the whole system. The individual parts are usually designed to only work with each other. And adding other components often times isn't possible.

Do a search of Bose reviews and see why they aren't recommended by any of these types of forums. You can get way more more for a lot less.

The best thing to do with a budget like yours is to purchase a separate receiver, BluRay player and speakers/sub woofer. Much better value and they will out perform both systems you mentioned by a large margin.

Here are some decent, low cost options, all from Amazon but there are great deals to be found elsewhere too. The Onkyo-508, receiver ($253/free shipping) and Onkyo/HT-540 speaker package ($197/free shipping). For a more modern look the Onkyo-HT/870 ($306/free shipping) but it probably won't perform as well as the 540. Add a Panasonic-BD-65 BluRay player for $102 shipped. These would be considered entry level items but would perform much better then the Samsung system and cost much, much less than the Bose.

For $2000 the Bose system would cost you (plus an additional amount for a BR player) you could really put together a nice system.

But if you must decide between the Samsung and the Bose then I'd opt for the Samsung. But you can do better.

SuperDuckWC

Auditioning
Real Name
Max
Hi Gene, thank you so much for your answer!
I'm not looking for a bluray player cause I have a PS3, and I check some topics about Bose and I understand now why it's not recommended...

I'm going to check this Onkyo set up, I never heard it before, I'm a newbs in HT, so I have to learn from the beginning

Now I have to find some canadian retailers who offers the same price

Thanks again Gene I really appreciate your help!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
IMO those speakers are not quite up to the 540's but they should be better than the Samsungs. Both the fronts and the center of the 540 have dual 5 1/4" drivers. The front speakers in the 5300 have dual 5" drivers which is good, but the center only has 3 1/2" ones but that doesn't mean it won't sound decent enough.

I bet the 5300 is the most popular Onkyo receiver/speaker package. It also decodes the new high-resolution audio formats found on bluray discs which is a very good thing. Just for comparison purposes Amazon.com sells the 5300 for $397 shipped. It's often recommended around here but don't use the speaker wire that comes with it. It's too thin. Get some bulk 16 gauge wire from your local hardware store.

SuperDuckWC

Auditioning
Real Name
Max
Thank you very much man. Unfortunately Canadian price is twice that Amazon.com offers... the 5300 kit is 700$ here, amazing

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I live close to a Canadian Border town I do realize that you chaps pay more for most everything than your neighbors to the south or in the case of Detroit your neighbors to the north, as we do see quite a few Canadians shopping at our stores. I guess it's due to some of those pesky taxes you are required to folks pay. I was also surprised that CostCo in Canada sold that Bose System as it is not available in the States.

I would also consider the 5300 over the either the Sammy or the Bose, Also their are a number of good speaker systems that are made in Canada, Energy is one that comes to mind.

SuperDuckWC

Auditioning
Real Name
Max
Yes...

I'd like to import the 5300 from amazon.com but they don't ship to Canada...

I think I'm going to make a trip to USA very soon...héhé

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Max

You might check to see what kind of taxes you would have to pay on Pacific Rim produced Onkyo purchased in the US and legally taken across the border to Canada. Somehow I think the North American Free Trade Agreement may be involved to your disadvantage. I own a Honda S-2000 Roadster that was only produced only in Japan. Canadians would complain that the same car purchased in Canada was significantly more expensive than in the US. But if a Canadian purchased the car in America and tried to import it to Canada he would have to pay some outrageous tax at the border of around 14% on top of the normal sales tax, and they could not save any money.

You may want to check into this before you cross the border.

SuperDuckWC

Auditioning
Real Name
Max
Ok, thanks for the piece of advice Bill... I'm going to check that. Even with 14% of tax it still cheaper and a lot. I'd have to pay 400$ of tax to be at the same price than here...

Or I'm going to check ebay or kijiji...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks