What's new

BOSE speakers blown to smithereens! Possible? (1 Viewer)

amanWadhan

Agent
Greeetings everyone,

Scenario:
Very shortly, I would be the proud owner of (my first) a home theater system.
I wish to use any one of the following amps with a set of Bose speakers. But I am doubtful about the safety of the speakers. I am not very sure of their 'load-handling' capability. Can they handle these amps, or will the amps blow 'em away?

Products in question:

Amps/Receivers:
1) Yamaha RXV 640
2) Yamaha RXV 1400
3) Onkyo TX-SR 602

Speakers set:
1) Bose 301 Series V - 2 front speakers (150 Watts/channel; 4-8 ohm)
2) Bose 201 Series - 4 rear speakers (10-120 Watts/channel; 8 ohm)
3) Bose VCS-10 - Center channel (10-100 Watts/channel; 4-8 ohm)

Queries:

1) Which amp would be the ideal choice for this set of speakers? (Please restrict your answers to Yamaha, Onkyo, and JBL only)

2) Which is a better amp among Yamaha RXV 640, Yamaha RXV 1400, and Onkyo TX-SR 602, with respect to power handling, wattage (peak and continuous) ?

3) Is it better to choose an all-in-one offering like Bose Acoustimass 16 Surround Sound Powered Speakers (sub-woofer included) OR to go in for individual components ("jewel cubes" from Bose, but amps and sub-woofers from different manufacturers)?

4) In case of component speakers, which sub-woofer should I choose? Is it capable of handling 300 RMS, without any risk? (Again, please restrict your answers to Yamaha, Onkyo, and JBL only)

Your opinion/help will be truly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Get ready to be inundated with responses recommending that you don't buy bose...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Those speakers will handle any of those receivers without issue. Receiver 1 and 2 would be good choices for those speakers. Of those, I'd opt for the Onkyo. Bose jewel cubes are crap, don't waste your time, and their all in one systems are EXTREMELY overpriced. The sub should be self powered, so you don't need to worry about your receiver powering it.

However, as Dave notes, I will be the first to recommend you consider speakers other than Bose. If you do a search on this forum, you will get more than enough info as to why, so we don't really need to rehash it here.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
I agree

Do a search on BOSE before you commit to them

For around the same price you could get a whole set of ( insert name here**) that will get you fronts rears centre and a powered Sub.

** Boston Acoustics,B&W,PSB,Klipsch,ENERGY, DEF TECH, etc etc

Good luck and happy hunting

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
I also don't think it's possible to run the Bose Cubes without the Bose subwoofer. I'm pretty sure you'll blow them if you connect them directly to the amplifier.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
Well, from the title of this thread, it's clear the poster has done some reading ... which is why the value of this thread is questionable.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

You can't buy them separate anyway. Yes, the crossover for the cubes is in the bass module.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
From the thread title I thought it was an extreme Bose hater who was planning something for the Fourth :D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would have been there to watch. :laugh: There's plenty of Bose I'd like to see blown to smithereens.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Bose speakers contain elaborate protection circuitry within the "acoustimass module" to safeguard the speakers. When the signal to the speakers reaches a level that could injure them, the signal is automatically routed through a light bulb. This keeps the speakers operating and the excess voltage/current is absorbed by the bulb. This clever scheme works quite well and, IMO, is superior to most of the speaker protection circuitry currently on the market.

How one might feel about having an "active signal compressor" (the bulb) in line with the speakers is a different question.

Jeff

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, there's also a small drawback when the bass module has a problem and you are out of warranty. You can't just go out and buy a new bass module. If a cube dies, you can't just go out and buy one cube. Repairs can be fairly costly. So it's ease of setup by being so self contained actually turns out to be a bit of a liability.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I ran my cubes off my DCM sub prior to getting rid of the bose system I had...and never really liked! I never had a problem with the cubes blowing or sounding any worse then they normally did! course the lows were cut naturaly by the subs xover....but it was an improvement over the "base?" cube...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The x-over in the bass module is tailored to the cubes, however any x-over that filters them around 150Hz or so will probaby work, so you CAN replace the bass module with another sub. That does however mean you will be cutting off their proprietary connectors too, as well as the fact that most subs do not have inputs and outputs for 5 speakers in the same 5.1 config that their bass module does.

amanWadhan

Agent
Thanks to everyone who replied, esp. Kevin, for the 'intellexual' link. That was the nail in the coffin for Bose!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks