What's new

Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones (1 Viewer)

Ryan T

Second Unit
I completely understand that for a long flight comfort and noise reduction are most important. I just wanted to let you guys know that there are other options that have incredible sound quality and better noise reducion at the cost of some comfort in some situations. I've heard some bose headphones before. They arn't too bad. Most the complaints i hear about them are that they are pretty cheaply made. A lot of people seem to have the headband break and such. Sound quality wise i guess they were on par with the cheaper sony phones (like the mdr-v150 i have #20 at BB). I'm a big sound quality buff so i couldn't pay the price boses asking. The quality is just way too low and the sound just isn't any were near as good as real headphones in the same price range. I use the sennheiser HD-212 pros for flights. They have around 10 DB's isolation which is plenty for me and they sound ok. If i were going to spend that kind of money on headphones for flight i would get the ety's and some custom ear molds.

Ryan

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, I don’t doubt at all that there is a better mousetrap today at a reasonable price--and we are both on the same page as far as headphones that produce quality sound.

I do think that Bose should be given credit for hitting a niche in the marketplace before anyone else. After all they get a ton of criticism, a good deal of it deserved. I’m happy to give credit where credit is due.

Jason Brent

Second Unit
My last headset was a Lightspeed (I still have it)

Just for curiosity, I hooked them up to my receiver to hear their music SQ, and found them to sound better than the Bose I use now. But for long days where I may have 4 or 5 students to fly with, the Bose are MUCH more comfortable than the Lightspeeds. Most of the aviation sets really pinch your head, but the Bose doesn't.

In your case where you will be listening to music, I wouldn't recommend the Bose.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
There is no debate here about the quality of sound from the B0se II's. Its definantly not what like a Grato would be but for the plane its good enough for both movies and music for me. Anything to get rid of that stupid plane noise. Been flying too much I guess.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
I definitely LOVE my quiet comfort 2's. I use em in my room as well as for traveling and they are definitely the most comfortable noise cancelling headphones I've tried and I couldnt be happier with my purchase. They sound good, fit comfortably and cancel out all the fan noise and random junk in the background. SO GOOD! when listening to music you feel alone.

RyanH

Grip
Even if your ONLY concerns are comfort and noise cancelation, there are other, cheaper/better options than the bose headphones. Thats why I said to "go get knowligified at headfi". Do a search for bose and read what people have already said. The general consensus is that they suck hard and are overpriced. I listened to a few bose cans because I was curious and came to the same conclusion, bose cans are comfortable and I have no doubt they cancel the noise out well... but the sound quality just sucks hardcore. Its the same with their speakers, they came out with nice small, easy to place speakers... that work well for small places but sound like crap. I cannot stress enough to stay away from all bose products. I have yet to come accross one item from them that was anywhere near a good bang/buck ratio. Ill say it again, Do yourself a favor and go to headfi and read. This isnt the place, not many people here know anything here about headphones.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Ryan H, did you read the first post at all? more importantly, did you really understand the posting?

english is not my native language either. what is yours?

RyanH

Grip
Hmm.. Not sure how many times ill have to repeat this until it gets into the slower-witted heads.

Even if your only concern is Comfort and Isolating noise, there are many better options. You can learn this at headfi, im not going to hold your hand and search out the many many posts there which go into detail about this...regardless of your native language. Go to headfi, where people are actually knowledgeable on headphones (defenitly not here) and continue your search.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Ryan.. I started at HeadFI ages ago. I have purchased 7 or 8 pair from their suggestions. I have also had several others on my own bought from a local high end hi fi store. I decided to try the bose II's on a trip that my business partner had. Before I had always thought B0se was junk. I came back bought a pair and have not looked back. Again we are not talking sound here nor money. They block the outside sound better than anything I have tried except professional pilot phones which one would not use for music anyway. Again I now love my B0se II's for flying both for watching DVD's on a portable player and music from a mini disc player. Also I would have paid twice the price for them. That is how much I like the comfort and noise cancelling and that is my most important issue when flying. Do you guys not get it... They don't sound as good as other phones in a normal setting..I agree totally with that. There is currently no other phone that I have tried within the last 6 months that comes close to the noise cancelling that the B0se II's has. Again I don't care about cheaper or more expensive models I want whats right for me even if it cost $1000 I would have bought the B0se ll's. Again you can debate this till the cows come home but it all boils down to personal taste and how much one uses phones. I fly alot and am in a position to always want and buy the holy grail for phones. They are the best for MY ears.

RyanH

Grip
I didnt disagree with you mike. I am not sure that the bose are one of the best (if not the best) at isolation (of course aside from etys/in ear cans) because I have not directly compared the isolation abilities of multiple headphones. From the reviews ive read I remember people praising their comfort and isolation abilities. If isolation/comfort are your only concerns, they may work for you. But as far as I know, even for those two aspects, the general consensus (at least at headfi) is that there are better options. Maybe I personally have not done the direct comparisons, but many people over at headfi have... So that would be the best place to find out.

Conclusion: Speaking in terms of just comfort and isolation, the bose are known as good (not without competetion). Speaking in overall terms, bose headphones are just plain horrible and way overpriced for what they are. If you want to pay an extreme price for a crappy headphone that can isolate sound well and are comfortable, be my guest.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
The Sennheiser's are great.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...ortables_04924

I grabbed a pair (new) from E-bay for less than $90 after shipping. They are comfortable for my long trips to Asia, and sound wonderful with the noise cancellation on. With noise cancellation off I don't care for their sound.

Unfortunately I've not heard either of the Bose NC phones, so I can't compare.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I was not looking to start a war over this which is really a very personal taste. Just like picking out speakers. I did all I could do to try other options, only by accident did I borrow my business partner's Bose II's and fell in love with them. Actually I spent my time compairing which is the correct thing for any same type purchase. These did it for me and thats what I got and personally love them. Again I am not saying they are anything close to the best sounding phones. Only quiet and comfortable for long flying use. Thats it... I'm done here... peace!

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Mike,
and everyone else....

Thanks verymuch for all the information. I should have made the question much more specific.

I think Mike got it from the beginning. I was only interested in the noise-cancelling ablilities of the phones. In fact, if there exists a noise cancelling ONLY headphone with no cord for inputting music, that would be what I want.

I also wanted to know if these were not just hype, and they do not seem to be, according to all the posts.

I guess the urge to bash when confronted with the Bose name is sometimes too difficult to overcome

;)

I had to do the old Japanese trick of sticking a knife in my thigh just to keep focused on the topic myself BOSE SUC....see how hard it is? almost slipped... Anyway, thanks for the info, I can at least start shopping without thinking I am wasting my time.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
Thats what these headphones are. They take 1 AAA battery and you turn them on if you want em on, the cord for music comes out. You DONT need to plug it into anything if you dont want to!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks