What's new

Born on the Fourth of July special edition... (1 Viewer)

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I picked it up this evening and the color looks completely different from the original releases.
Everything else is improved (edge enhancement, sharpness, detail, etc) but the color seems off to me.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Well, no members have commented on anything for over 8 hours now."

I havent had a chance to watch the film, but I did put in the DVD to check it out and it looks MUCH better.

The horrible halos and EE are gone. It looks much nicer and definitely sounds better.I have alot going on at the moment buit hope to be able to sit down and watch it this weekend.

"but the color seems off to me."

While Im not certain of this, Ill have to grab the old version I gave to my brother and compare, but some of the young Ron scenes looked a bit washed out. When they did the Platoon Pioneer LD, they made some color adjustments as well.As I said , I just put the disc in for a few minutes,but this weekend Ill check it out.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Some more info to clarify.

As mentioned, the only extras are the commentary (exact same from the original Oliver Stone box) and the AMC Backstory.

No trailers.

Jonz,

Compare the parade scene at the beginning.

The original release seemed to have a bright orange tint.
This release has very little color.

Look at the clothes on the people in the parade and the little girls running around that give Ronnie the baseball hat.

They seem almost a different color.

It also seems to be a bit more grainy.
I plan to watch the movie tonight and I may pull a couple of screen caps to show what I mean.
That baseball game ruined all my movie watching plans last night!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yes I remember alot more color in the pre-Vietnam scenes. Your right,I remember a almost yellow or orange tinge to everything which was nice because it gave everything the "hopeful" 60s look.I especially noticed this during the scene at the high school grounds when theyre walking on the grass and you can see students everywhere.The camera swings left between 2 trees,straight into the sun and it had had a beautiful look with the pollen falling off the trees.I remember the pollen mixing with the sun creating a beautiful yellow effect. That scene seems a bit more subdued now.

Am I wrong?

I shouldnt have gotten rid of my LD of this film:frowning:

If you do caps can u do one of the scene I described above please.

Anyway,Im gonna take the phoen of the hook, lock the door and watch it tomorrow.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I read the review on DVDJournal and they say the problem clears up after the opening credits.
I don't know because I still haven't watched (finally got my Ed Wood from Netflix).
I'll try to do those screen shots tonight.
I fondly remember my LD but those side breaks were killer!
If I'm not mistaken, I thought it spanned 2 discs with the last side being CAV.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Just got mine yesterday. I will try to watch it this weekend and do a comparison with the VHS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks