What's new

Boris Karloff "Thriller" (1 Viewer)

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed that the old Boris Karloff series "Thriller" is available for purchase at the following site: skaryguyvideo.com.

Is this for real? According to the advertisement, it's a 17 DVD set, consisting of 67 episodes, Region 1/NTSC, for $99.99.

This was a pretty good series in its day, one which I'd like to have. However, I wasn't aware that it had been officially released. Anyone know what the story is here?

May I add that I got the skaryguyvideo.com address from DVDTalk.com which I think provides good information on upcoming releases. If "skaryguy" fits into the category of a bootleg site, however, I'd ask the moderators to please delete my post.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Yep, that's a bootleg site!

Before this shuts down, I do wish Universal would release "Thriller" officially.

Charles H

Screenwriter
THRILLER was a terrific TV series and Universal did bring out 8 episodes on VHS and LD. Since Universal is the iconic Horror studio and Boris Karloff is represented on many of their dvds (you could argue that he is the quintessential Universal star), THRILLER would seem a natural for dvd despite being in b-&-w.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
It's one of my all time favorite crime / horror anthology shows.
If only Boris had acted in more of the stories than he did.

After all...THRILLER isn't just a Michael Jackson video! :rolleyes

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
With two sets each of THE WILD WILD WEST and THE ADDAMS FAMILY now available (plus season 1 of WKRP, despite its problems), and the August debut of THE FUGITIVE on R1 DVD confirmed, BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER now jumps to the top spot of my most-wanted TV series not legitimately available on R1 DVD.

While some key Universal-owned classic horror flicks and creature-features still need a legit release in R1 (ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, MURDERS IN THE ZOO, DR. CYCLOPS, MAN-MADE MONSTER, TERROR ABOARD, NIGHT MONSTER, THE DEADLY MANTIS, THE LAND UNKNOWN, ISLAND OF TERROR, etc), most of their bigger genre titles are currently available, so Universal would do well to produce a "Season One" set, or "Complete Collection" of BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER, as a high-profile TV on DVD release, in time for Halloween '07 or Halloween '08.

Sure, I like NIGHT GALLERY and KOLCHAK, but pound for pound, BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER remains the greatest horror series (despite some largely so-so crime-oriented episodes early in its run) ever produced for network TV in the U.S.A.

Give it some respect, Universal!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
It should be noted that Universal released at least a few volumes of THRILLER episodes on VHS in 1994. The fact that it didn't sell well 13 years ago, doesn't work in favor of it coming to DVD.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
It should also be noted that Universal's VHS and laserdisc releases of Thriller were both completely botched. The VHS boxes had strange drawing that had nothing to do with the show and also had the title of the episode in very large print, but had the name of the show in small print. Most people would never even know what these videos were unless you took a really good look. The laserdisc box set had six episodes for about 100 bucks. Can you blame people for not buying them?

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Too bad laserdiscs don't play in DVD players.
If they did, I'd buy that $100 set from you for $10. :laugh:

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I think I did sell my Thriller laserdisc box set for about 10 bucks on ebay a few years ago. I did make DVD-R copies first though, so it wasn't a total loss. Those transfers looked so beautiful and the sound on the laserdisc was amazing. The 6 episodes for a 100 bucks Thriller laserdisc set did make the 6 episode for 60 bucks Night Gallery Season one dvd set seem like a good deal.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I was thinking of picking up a set of the complete 14 dvds but have been burned on ebay a few times with bootlegs sets of a few other shows . It's hard to tell for Thriller because it is out of print . Anyone have any suggestions ?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I suppose I should count myself fortunate to have bought THRILLER on DVD back in 2010 when Image released it. Unfortunately, I found it difficult to watch due to some sound issues. When I tried to watch an episode or two, I was appalled by the overly loud music that completely overwhelmed to the dialogue.

If I recall correctly, a number of episodes had Isolated Score audio tracks and it seemed to me that those were the major offenders - almost as if the extra music track was being laid on top of the regular mono track.

I don't know - maybe it was my settings. I should probably check these again and maybe attempt to enjoy them.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I, too, purchased a copy of the Image release soon after it came out (released August 31, 2010 and I purchased it October 17, 2010 - got a great deal from Amazon to boot).

I finally watched it last year (yeah, I know... it'd been about 9 years since I'd made the purchase) but don't recall any audio issues. That's not to say there aren't any - just that I don't recall. FWIW, I'll typically complain about and notice audio issues long before video issues (just depends on what kind of video issues - poor transfer/PQ, excessive noise, compression artifacts for sure but things like missing scenes, incorrect opens/closes, etc. just go right over my head). Most 60s TV shows were mixed much, much, better than today's product. Back then what was said was more important than the score/sfx so I know I'd notice music that's "too loud."

I get the impression with today's audio mixes it's all about how "clever" the audio technician is or showing off the dynamic range of an audio system rather than creating a true "good" mix where voices are the most important thing. That's evident with many of these "5.1" and "stereo" remixes of classic TV shows (movies as well) that originally had mono soundtracks.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I just did a quick check of some random early episodes to see if what I'd heard years ago was still true. My findings are:

Episode 10: The Prediction - This seemed OK from what I heard. The music was a little elevated compared to the dialogue, but not anything egregious that I noticed.

Episode 16: The Hungry Glass - This one was awful. The music track was horribly phased - the effect of two slightly mis-matched tracks beating against each other. And I don't just mean any isolated track - this was the main episode mono track.

Episode 17: The Poisoner - Sounded mostly OK to me, maybe just a little loud in the music department.

Episode 18: Man In The Cage - Again, not too bad. A trifle loud compared to the dialogue.

Episode 19: Choose A Victim - Same as the last two.

Episode 20: Hay-Fork and Bill-Hook - Really loud music track burying the dialogue in a few of the scenes I skimmed through. When I switched to the Music & Effects track only, the volume dropped. It really seems to me that the compilers just added the Isolated track onto the regular mono track, in effect doubling the music volume in comparison to the dialogue.

My findings. Perhaps it was fixed on other, later sets. Mine was one of the first out as I pre-ordered it.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Do you think this is legit ? I really want this set , but so many boots , The sticker seems to be on left or right in different sets online . Impossible to tell a authentic set without checking disc info . Guy said he picked it up at a 3 sets at walmart some years ago . Found another guy also selling one sealed claiming he bought it from Tower records years ago and the sticker fell off ... All have great 100% feedback , One is even local to my state ( I can actually meet him in person ) .

Attachments

• IMG_8223.JPG
    IMG_8223.JPG
    462.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8224.JPG
    IMG_8224.JPG
    548.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8225.JPG
    IMG_8225.JPG
    523.6 KB · Views: 31

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Do you think this is legit ? I really want this set , but so many boots , The sticker seems to be on left or right in different sets online . Impossible to tell a authentic set without checking disc info . Guy said he picked it up at a 3 sets at walmart some years ago . Found another guy also selling one sealed claiming he bought it from Tower records years ago and the sticker fell off ... All have great 100% feedback , One is even local to my state ( I can actually meet him in person ) .
As I recall, that is what the legit set looked like upon release. But if they're booting the discs, I guess they could boot the box as well.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thriller is one of the more pirated sets with reports that the packaging on the pirated versions looks identical to the official releases. The only way to know for sure it's legit is to check the disc capacity after opening. All you can do is pick one, place the order, and be ready to immediately check a few of the discs upon arrival for the proper capacity.

The best way to tell if a set is a bootleg is to check the size of one or more of the discs. Thriller should be on dual-layered DVDs, which can hold up to 8.5 gigabytes of data. Bootlegs will be on single-layer discs, which can only hold up to 4.7 gigabytes of data. You can determine if your discs are single or dual-layered by checking their size in a DVD-ROM drive.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
As I recall, that is what the legit set looked like upon release. But if they're booting the discs, I guess they could boot the box as well.
What about that promo sticker ? seems like it's all over the place on those adds . some on left , some on right . very suspicious .

Bob0'link , Thanks , I asked the guy if he could verify how large the discs are in GB . Since he claims to have one for his own collection . If he does shouldn't have a problem checking it . If he says he doesn't know how , That tells me they fake .

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Thriller is one of the more pirated sets with reports that the packaging on the pirated versions looks identical to the official releases. The only way to know for sure it's legit is to check the disc capacity after opening. All you can do is pick one, place the order, and be ready to immediately check a few of the discs upon arrival for the proper capacity.

The best way to tell if a set is a bootleg is to check the size of one or more of the discs. Thriller should be on dual-layered DVDs, which can hold up to 8.5 gigabytes of data. Bootlegs will be on single-layer discs, which can only hold up to 4.7 gigabytes of data. You can determine if your discs are single or dual-layered by checking their size in a DVD-ROM drive.
The first time I bought the Thriller series was from ebay and I ended up getting a bootleg set. Then later I ordered the series again from Amazon and this time I received a legit set, so I'm "thrilled" to now have a legit set of Thriller. :)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I just did a quick check of some random early episodes to see if what I'd heard years ago was still true. My findings are:

Episode 10: The Prediction - This seemed OK from what I heard. The music was a little elevated compared to the dialogue, but not anything egregious that I noticed.

Episode 16: The Hungry Glass - This one was awful. The music track was horribly phased - the effect of two slightly mis-matched tracks beating against each other. And I don't just mean any isolated track - this was the main episode mono track.

Episode 17: The Poisoner - Sounded mostly OK to me, maybe just a little loud in the music department.

Episode 18: Man In The Cage - Again, not too bad. A trifle loud compared to the dialogue.

Episode 19: Choose A Victim - Same as the last two.

Episode 20: Hay-Fork and Bill-Hook - Really loud music track burying the dialogue in a few of the scenes I skimmed through. When I switched to the Music & Effects track only, the volume dropped. It really seems to me that the compilers just added the Isolated track onto the regular mono track, in effect doubling the music volume in comparison to the dialogue.

My findings. Perhaps it was fixed on other, later sets. Mine was one of the first out as I pre-ordered it.
I can't really complain about the audio quality of the Thriller DVD's. The background music can occasionally be a little loud but everything is crisp and clear and dialog can be heard easily.

Can't say the same though about I Spy which is also from Image Entertainment. Those DVD's have a low and muffled audio track and it's difficult to understand some of the dialog in the episodes. Some episodes sound a little better than others but overall the audio quality isn't great. On the positive side, the episodes appear to be complete and unedited.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks