What's new

Borat DVD fakeout (1 Viewer)

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Perhaps off-topic, but I need to know...

I assume PaulP has some knowledge of the Russian language. For those that may not be aware, Kazakh is also written in Cyrillic letters. I'm just curious; did Fox actually use Russian instead of Kazakh (as would be proper) on the cover? Can PaulP or someone else confirm? :)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I do know Russian, and what's written on the cover could be considered Russian, though not very grammatically correct. But it is not Kazakh, although the Kazakh language does indeed use almost the same alphabet. One can easily compare the Russian and Kazakh Wikipedias: http://kk.wikipedia.org/wiki/ vs. http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/ - and one doesn't need to know either language to see that visually Kazakh is quite different from Russian, and that the DVD contains Russian, not Kazakh.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
At Best Buy yesterday, I noticed that some copies of Borat had the (intentionally) poor-quality Russian keepcase cover, while others had a standard English one that more-or-less matched the outer slipcover. The outer slipcover was identical for both versions.

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
Want a really good laugh?? While in the special features section of the disc enter into the languages section and click on HEBREW.

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Also, Netflix has a Bonus materials disc for rent. If I'm not mistaken there isn't a second disc? Maybe some more fakeout stuff. Anyone know anything about this? The bonus disc currently has a very long wait which is very rare for a bonus disc at Neflix.

Later, Rick

Neal K

Agent
The French language track seem to be with Cohen voicing the part, and is worth a listen if you're in the mood. The Russian track has an attempt to sound Cohen-ish, but not the Spanish one, which is incredibly "off"!

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Umm, I think my post was very clear. Netflix has a link to "bonus materials available separately" for Borat, but if I'm not mistaken there isn't a bonus disc. Anyone know why Netflix has a bonus disc listed?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I can't believe some people aren't getting this as a joke. I haven't seen the movie yet but the packaging looks hilarious. There's a poster on another forum who does a character similar and it's laugh out loud funny every time he posts something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks