What's new

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

That scene had to have been staged. There were two cameras during the scene when the couple brings them drinks in the room, one in the room with Borat and one in the hallway.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
The story on the Romanian village is tough to read. Honestly, when I was watching those sequences, I thought it was all fabricated to look like a poor village.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I am Romanian, so I knew it was all real. While the country is in pretty decent economic shape now, there are villages like that still around.

Everyone in those scenes spoke Romanian, and the lady that played Borat's wife throws out some really vulgar curses when she yells at him ... so i find it hard to believe that the villagers did not know what is going on.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al

Buzz ... and thanks for playing Al! Yes, I guess I was way off on this one. I just can't believe I'm this far out of step. Oh well, I'll go crack open the Monty Python or something.

I am enjoying reading about the lawsuits. The only one I feel sorry for is the TV producer who lost her job for giving Borat air time.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, and all these lawsuits accomplish is to bring even more scrutiny down upon these idiots than would ever occur with just the relatively small percentage of the population who will see the film.

The moviegoing audience may have laughed at them in the theater, but the whole world will now laugh at them as the story makes the rounds on the Internet and news channels.

Josh.C

Second Unit
Well, this seems much more like a discussion thread, so only read if you don't mind seeing spoilers.

(Admin note - spoilers added)

First off, this movie was freaking hillarious. Especially the first half of the movie. It lost a little steem imo 3/4 of the way through, and then picked it back up for the final portion

(Pamela Anderson book signing) and back to Village.

Their were a few parts I could have done with out. I thought the Wrestling scene in the hotel was just excess and took away from the much funnier parts in the movie imo, which I will list later. This part was just plain "gross" to me, and I could have done without seeing that fat guys twig and berries while he was 69'ing the Borat. I will say that the sequence yielded two funny parts. The pan-over to the guy in the elevator, and the black bar over Borat's Smeckle going down to his knees while running through the hotel. This is one of the few parts I thought went overboard, and took away from the cleverness of the film.

Here are some of the parts I DID like, and they far outway the few parts I thought were overdone.

- Borat at the Rodeo bashing Iraq "President Bush will drink the blood of......" along with the Khasachstan national anthem to the tune of the Star Spangled Banner. The whole Rodeo sequence had me rolling. Oh, and talking to that old Cowboy guy. Hillarious!

- Sitting at the table and telling the guest the people in his country would go crazy over the two ladies sitting next to him, "but not so much...." LOL!

- Borat and the Driver's Ed Instructor

- Borat spanking the monkey in public to a couple of manequins in Lingerie

- Borat walking in while the weather man was forcasting live

- Borat getting saved at the Pennicostal Church :)

- Antique store debacle- good physical comedy

- Pussy Magnet segment. WOW!

- Meeting the black guys in Atlanta and then coming into the hotel with his pants pulled down and those whity tighties showing, and talking ghetto with the guys behind the desk.

- Throwing money at the roaches in the Jews house

- And last but not least, who could forget the "Not" lessons and the final "NOT" to Pamela Anderson. CLASSIC!

What a guilty pleasure this was. Hillarious and non PC in just about every way imagineable. I will never own it, but I will definitely be renting it when the kids are away, and I need a good laugh.

JC

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Thanks for the link, Travis. Great information in that article. However, if you're referring to the Jewish couple in your post, the part about them bringing food to the room was staged.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The scarest part of that is that the roach place is so close to me!:eek:

Roaches are those little facts of life that you like to pretend aren't anywhere near you.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just finished Borat. Pretty dang funny at times. Other times, it's just more shocking than really being funny. Still, it's not bad. Of course it didn't live up to the hype....not the films fault really.

I laughed the hardest and nearly spewed my diet coke on the screen during this moment:

"Are you telling me that that man who tried to put a rubber fist in my annus was a homosexual!?"

I really got a headache laughing so hard at that moment.

The iPod mini joke was funny too.

Overall, I give it a 7/10 :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This film works much better when you see it with a crowd because their various reactions to Borat is part of the film that you don't get as much of at home on DVD.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I just watched it tonight and I'm pretty glad I didn't see it at the theater because I'd imagine it would have been hard to hear a lot of the dialogue with people laughing so hard. I was absolutely in tears for a good part of the movie and thought it was one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time(along with 40 Year Old Virgin, Clerks II and Jackass Number Two). Definitely non-PC and offensive as hell, but an absolute riot basically from start to finish. Big :emoji_thumbsup: from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks