What's new

BoomTown Premiere (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
One of my favorite show returned tonight from it's first excellent Season. But what has become of the Detectives of Boomtown who are acting more like they've wandered into an Episode of Miami Vice. With a pounding score and Quick Edits this year's boomtown Seems to be looking to Start an Arc involving the forces effort to bring down a crime boss and His Female Henechman played by Rebecca demorney. Venessa Williams does'nt add much as new series regular Karen Pierce.

The Premiere is definately missing the Prescence of DA David Mcnorris, but he makes his debut at the end of the eps in one of the best scenes.

I'll tune in again, but I Get this Feeling that Boomtown had to compromise to come back, Now that would be a shame.

Mike_Cif

Stunt Coordinator
The one thing I will say is boomtown does have an excellent transfer, and look very good.. I'd say CSI is still the best in my mind, but this is very good.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I was disappointed by the premiere, but I'll wait a while before I cry "jump the shark". Not enough of Teresa the paramedic either. :frowning:

Tom Pfarr

Agent
I could not believe I was watching Boomtown, my favorite show from last year. This years production seems totally different, the writing, the characters, the sets everything, what happened? What a shame.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I can't believe they canned McNorris' mistress. She was great. I also missed the real-time cuts.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'll miss her, but apparently the writers were having problems fitting her into every story without repeating themselves. It's apparently the same with Teresa; she's evidently going to somehow jump from EMT to cop at some point this season.

Still, gotta love that scene with Neal McDonough at the end. I get the impression that a sober McNorris who has put some of his demons and self-doubt behind him could wind up being even more dangerously amoral.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
... fitting her into every story without repeating themselves.
That's one of the things I hated about the Mod Squad from the '70's or late '60's. The hospital nurse who was the wife (or girlfriend) of one of the cops had to be worked into the script every week. For most of these type shows you have to suspend disbelief somewhat, but I'm willing to go only so far.

Michael_JB

Grip
I finally watched this one and the only thing I could think was "what show am I watching?" It seems to have the same people in it but it surely wasn't boomtown, at least not the boomtown that I couldn't wait to watch every week and that everybody worked so hard to save from getting canned. Hopefully this is not the direction they take with the show or I'll have to tune out for good...

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I think you can find some articles on the net that basically said the network wanted the producers to make Boomtown look like every other cop show because the multi perspective stories and odd timeline confused viewers.

What A--holes.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I think you can find some articles on the net that basically said the network wanted the producers to make Boomtown look like every other cop show because the multi perspective stories and odd timeline confused viewers.
Good thing that The Wire is an HBO show. Otherwise, it would have looked like all the other cop shows in its second season.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
From Today's Ask Matt (from TV Guide):

From TV Guide:

Question:

Could you please explain to me what's going on with Boomtown? I heard the network shut down production for two weeks because they didn't want a two-story arc. It sounds to me like Jeff Zucker wants to turn it into another Law & Order show and as far as I'm concerned, there are too many of those on the air now. Boomtown will be on for longer than six weeks... won't it? Please say yes! It's the best show on network television! — Sasha

Matt:

I'm a huge fan of Boomtown as well, and am also troubled by this news of a production shutdown this early in the season to address the network's concerns that the show was going to overtax viewers who might miss an episode in its lousy new Friday-night time period. The show barely got renewed in the first place, and now I'm worried that NBC will force it to be dumbed down, which would likely result in a drop in what's already a shaky viewership and thus confirm the network's own lack of enthusiasm toward its longterm prospects. I'm hoping I'm wrong. Homicide thrived in this time period for a number of seasons, and a show as offbeat as Ed has been allowed to survive into its fourth year. Anything's possible. But I think we have our work cut out for us on this one.

LisaDoris

Stunt Coordinator
Oh good grief why won't NBC leave Boomtown alone! The show was fine though most of the first season (they did get away from the original premise quite quickly at the network's urging I'm sure). If I wanted to watch another L&O I'd watch L&O.

That being said, the premiere wasn't bad. They had a couple of the multiple storylines happening out of sequence which is great. Not missing the mistress but you gotta love McNorris' cameo of sorts.

When will network's realize audiences aren't the idiots they make us out to be?

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Missed the premiere and I am dissapointed about the timeslot change. Thats two of my favortie sunday shows from last year that got moved to crappy time slots(the other being Dragnet).

It sounds like Boomtown is going to go down hill now, and thats too bad. One of the best 'new' shows last year.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
When will network's realize audiences aren't the idiots they make us out to be?
Well, the sad truth is that if you look at the majority of the TV-watching public (ie not necessarily representative of people who post on sites like this), the Networks' assumptions about viewer intelligence and attention spans are probably not far off the mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks