What's new

Boomtown 4/20 Season Finale or will it be Series Finale (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well the show seems to be bowing outearlier than most so I'm assuming NBC is Pulling the Plug. If so it's too bad, consistanly it's been a well acted series. Loved last weeks ep featuring DA Mcnorris. Another good series gone before it was given a chance.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think it just got a short order - 18 episodes instead of the usual 22. It's unusual, but not unprcedented, and could be completely innocent - especially considering that this is a series with a large, somewhat high-profile cast that could very well take longer to shoot each episode than the average drama.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
oh well,if boomtown goes off the air(I love this show so I hope it doesn't)
There is always the New Kids On The Block Reunion tour for Donnie Wahlberg...:D

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Considering how high acclaimed the show is (it won a Peabody ) I doubt that it will get canceled.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The new TV schedules for next fall should be out in a couple weeks. Hopefully Boomtown and Angel will come back (I won't hold my breath for Andy Richter, but I have my fingers crossed.)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I like the series, and I hope it comes back, but last weeks' episode, while well made, totally disgusted me. The David McNorris character is a arrogant, whining, worthless piece of s**t.

If he hates his political hack job so much, he should just quit and do something worthwhile, like scooping dog poop.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The David McNorris character is a arrogant, whining, worthless piece of s**t.
Nah, he's arrogant and self-centered, but he's also a brilliant attorney. He's probably manic depressive, and is just incapable of doing things in a way other than extreme.

What I've liked about Boomtown is that they've done an absolutely fabulous job of balancing between continuing character drama and standalone crime anthology. From the description of the season finale, it looks like an episode that not only ties all the plot threads that have been running in the background all season together, but a newcomer wouldn't be lost watching it.

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
Well, I'm going to miss this show over the summer. Powerful tv. Never thought I'd like Donnie Wahlberg, but Band of Brothers and now this show have taught me otherwise. I'll definitely get the series when it comes out on DVD.

And I didn't think I'd have anything to watch on Sundays when the X-Files went off...

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yea, Stacy, I am with you. After Wahlbergs stunning and powerful role in BOB, I am on the Wahlberg band wagon. But have you noticed that they have used 4 different people from BOB, all of them played a preety big role in it. Anyway, I would assume that this show will be back next year. It is a really good show.

Matt_P

Second Unit
I have a thread going on the software page about bringing this superb show to DVD.

I think it is the best show on TV right now, and should not be canceled!!!!!!!! Aside from it's excellent cast, writing, and technical merits, the show (as Jason put it) does an amazing job at exploring characters while maintaining its vital crime drama elements. Also, I wouldn't mind it going back to its more Rashomon-esque storytelling.

Mabye we should all write NBC a note about our support.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
I agree with all the praise. I choked back a tear when Joel's wife described the way he took care of her and their son after her attempted suicide. The final scene was especially poignant when you recall that Joel has been tempted but has remained loyal and steadfast. I'd like to add one more thing: Boomtown has, IMO, the best theme song of television show. I wish they'd skip the commercials and just go with the song for four minutes sometime.

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
I agree about the theme song. I always crank it up when the opening credits roll. Then I screw it up by humming along.

Jeff, who are the four? I know Wahlberg (Lipton or something like that from BoB), and McNorris (the officer who was a baseball catcher and went on to prosecute Sirhan Sirhan--forget his name on BoB), but who were the other two?

I'm thinking that the one detective that worked with them during the undercover operation, and who made the phone call when the policeman was kidnapped, also played the soldier in BoB who could mimic voices, and got Ross from Friends to cut the fence during training. And I'm thinking that the bad cop that got shot in Fearless' car was one of the soldiers from BoB, the one who lost a leg in the forest, and who in real life is the guy who organizes so much of Easy Company's alumni stuff. I don't remember his name, either. Am I right, or are there other people?

One thing is for sure--those guys on BoB were great, and they deserve to find more success. I'm glad its on a show like Boomtown.

Matt_P

Second Unit
Hey all.

Please send an e-mail to [email protected] to voice your support. This show is still in jeopardy.

In my note to the network, I linked this thread in order to show our discussion and support of this amazing show.

PS, I love the theme, as well. I always crank it up!

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
One would be Frank John Hughes who play S/Sgt. William "Wild Bill" Guarnere. Also one of the BoB directors created (or is involved) in Boomtown, thus the link to appreciating BoB actors. I think there was a forth actor, possibly Kirk Acevedo who played S/Sgt. Joseph Toye.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
An excellent finale of a great show. Wahlberg was a revelation (compared to what a yawn Joey McIntyre is on Boston Public), and it was great to see Gary Basaraba(Brooklyn South) and Jason Gedrick(Murder One) again. In fact, there were no slackers at all in the cast, though the female characters could be better-written. I hope it gets picked up along with American Dreams - I don't watch any other NBC shows.

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
Yes, yes! Wild Bill Guarnare was the dirty cop, right? And S/Sgt. Joseph Toye was the one who could mimic voices, right? On Boomtown he was the other detective working with Wahlberg, the one who poured his drink in Andreas tape recorder, and the one who made the call to Wild Bill Guarnare on Boomtown and outed him as the bad cop. Is that right?

RobertW

Supporting Actor
that was rick gomez who was on boomtown, and played george luz in band of brothers, the guy who did voices. "remember boys, flies spread disease. so keep yours closed!"

excellent ending episode for boomtown. hope it comes back.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't know... As much as I've liked the show all year, the finale sort of left me cold. The show really has abandoned the achronological storytelling, and the crime they were investigating in this episode was almost perfunctory, like they wouldn't be allowed to do an entire story around IA investigating Joel. There was a good chance to do parallel "lost child" storylines, but I never felt it.

I hope the show comes back - Neal McDonough is fantastic - but I hope it comes back like the show which excited me when it first started, as opposed to the one which has lost a lot of ground to Dragnet in the past three months.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks