Boomerang Not Being Released After All

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Garysb, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

I received the following e-mail from DVD Empire concerning the Fox Noir film "Boomerang"

We have been informed by our distributors that the item 'Boomerang' is no
    longer available and will not be available at any time in the future.

2. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

GRRRR!

Surely this has got something to do with the Kazan estate. East of Eden was tied up for a few years as well. Or maybe it is the estate of the guy who wrote the article?

Fox could make up for it by releasing Man on a Tightrope, but that's probably in limbo too!

3. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

I don't think that Kazan had any producer involvement with BOOMERANG! Louis DeRochemont was the producer. I'd love to see MAN ON A TIGHTROPE, VIVA ZAPATA!, WILD RIVER and A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN released on dvd. If or when BOOMERANG! is ever released on dvd, it mandates an "Inside Baseball" commentary on the legal problems or implications that have dogged its video history for decades. (Maybe that is why it has been withdrawn--it would be great publicity.)

4. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    What the ...? This cat-and-mouse game is really getting tiresome. After the initial release was pulled you'd think Fox would get everything absolutely ironed out and signed legally before announcing it for re-release.

I watched the movie on hulu.com. It was good and I'd like to have it on DVD. I can't understand what the apparent copyright problems could be for such an old movie. What do the current owners hope to achieve by not having it available?

5. BradleyS

BradleyS Stunt Coordinator

I hope this means INFERNO is coming out as a replacement, at least.

6. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Bummer. I guess the version I snuck off the net will have to continue to do until Fox releases it proper. no way I'm paying the inflated ebay prices.

7. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Oh, balls...

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The prices on eBay were bad at first but they've actually been at or under the MSRP for months now. Anyone still waiting for a copy should just find a reputable seller on eBay and buy one there.

9. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

There is currently a new copy listed for sale at Amazon Marketplace for $19.99 plus shipping if you are willing to take a chance that it is as advertised.

10. ted:r

ted:r Second Unit

I can't say I'm surprised...Disappointed, of course. Gnashing of teeth of course. Tearing of hair out (what there is of that) of course. But surprised? Oh no. Just another brick in the wall of my cynicism. That's all it is...

Whining meekly, looking for the liquor [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. ted:r

ted:r Second Unit

In somewhat calm recollection...or whatever...

Part of the reason (if I recall correctly) that the WB stopped doing chats is that they would get bombarded by people saying "you said so-and-so would be released in the next year or two and where is it?" I've been guilty of that myself, at least in heart if not in print.

We do live in a world where rumours and half-facts gain traction and become pseudo facts pushing up expectations. Life does seem more of a rollercoaster these days in more ways than one, with the media, people. polls or companies pulling on our emotions, trying to be the firstest with the mostest. At the end of the day, it just reinforce's one's (or least my) cynicism. Tell me what you know, not what you believe, or want.

I know, I know, a little movie, a little DVD, its not the most important thing in the world. But wasn't there a Shakespeare thing "A little thing but mine own"*

*in case you think I'm being hoity toity, I remember it from "Quiz Show"

12. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I expected as much with all the discrepancies posted at various news sites and retailers. I already own the initial Fox pressing thanks to a kind person on this board who bought up extra copies to generously offer at face value to forum members after the first recall, so it's no personal loss to me. But I am hoping the title is replaced with something else of interest. Fox covers UA distribution package, right? How's about an official overdue release of D.O.A.?

13. BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman Supporting Actor

The question is was this ever really announced for this batch? Or was it just supposition on the part of websites, and then everyone jumped on that?

14. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Well hopefully this opened up Fox Noir slot gets filled ........preferably with Cry of the City.

15. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

I believe that commentaries have already been prepared for THE BRASHER DOUBLOON, THE THIRD VOICE, and VIOLENT SATURDAY. A gorgeous letterboxed print of VIOLENT SATURDAY has been playing on Fox recently.

16. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Well, I think more than one retailer had it for preorder, so I assume it was more than supposition. Retailers don't usually list titles based on rumors.

17. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    DVD Empire was the first to post the Fox announcement of the three Film Noir titles back in early summer and a little ago as 7/16/08 DVD Times posted this:

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of three Fox Film Noir titles on 2nd September 2008. Priced at $14.98 SRP each and making their R1 DVD debuts are Boomerang, Moontide and Road House. "Beautifully restored and remastered", features are detailed below…

So this was not just wishful thinking, but an actual announcement. Since I saw this thread yesterday, I have placed an order for a copy from the aborted first release.

The other two realeases "Road House" and "Moontide" are a got to have them.

18. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

19. Paladin

Paladin Auditioning

This is great news for me because I shelled out $40 for one of the pulled Boomerang DVDs. Now I don't feel like I wasted my money! [​IMG]

20. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Sounds like I'll just order from Canada!!