What's new

bookshelves for < $800 (1 Viewer)

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
with that amount of money, i would go with bookshelves because you can get quality bookshelves instead of a mediocre floodstanders...

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
with that amount of money, i would go with bookshelves because you can get quality bookshelves instead of a mediocre floodstanders...
Ditto, years ago, I thought I would get floorstanders (Paradigm 7semk3's) to get more bass. I should have gotten the studio 20's. I now have the 20's (and 100's on the way). They don't go quite as low, but what's there is a big step up in quality. My 7's don't offer enough bass to do without a sub anyway.

Mike Fenech

Agent
Following up on Scott's suggestion - go to Whetstone and talk to Brian. He has a varied range of speakers to cover your needs.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
IMO at that price range you're better off with booskelves. But IMO booshelves are always better, I prefer them to floorstanders.... :)

Anyway, Take a look at the B&W 602S3 speakers. I got the original 602s when they first came out in 1997/8 and I've been in love with them ever since. I can't recommend them highly enough. I think they're peachy.

Also, look around and see if you have a local Mirage dealer. Mirage makes some really sweet sounding bookshelf speakers, that's what I run in my office/music room and they always put a smile on my face!

Good luck!

David Walker

Agent
yeah...bookshelves are sounding more intriguing everyday, with every new post.

B&W? bleh. I swear I'm in the only one in the world who doesn't care for the 602's...i had a pair, they were stolen, and I get to replace them...and I'm oh so happy!

I think I might be leaning toward the Paradigm Studio 20's and EVENTUALLY adding a sub. I've heard so many good things about them, and they do sound quite phenomenal. I'm still looking into alternatives though, but as sucky as it is, they've gotta be kinda famous brands, because my insurance adjuster has brand limitations. I wish they would just cut me a check..make things so much easier!

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
$800... you could get a nice set of BOSE!

I actually second the JBL N series... great set of speakers, they sound awesome and clean connected to my Yammy 5550

george king

Supporting Actor
David,

Speakers are a personal thing, and you should listen to a lot of different ones. That said, I have heard the 20's and the GR Research A/V-1s are, IMHO and for my tastes, way better.

You might want to contact Danny at www.gr-research.com as he has several pairs of A/V-1s touring for demos. That way you could hear them in your house with your electronics to see if you like them.

If you do, Brian at Link Removed will custom build you a pair in one of 3 finishes you want (for $750/pair) of if you want a different finish, probably for a little more money. Brian is also a great guy, and a TRUE craftsman. Any speaker he builds will be infinitely better made than a commerical speaker at the same price.

Just a thought.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
As George said David,

I would certainly encourage you to listen to more than the Paradigm's and the other speaker brands at A&B TV if that is where you have heard them. You can do better for the money. Of course maybe your insurance adjuster is limiting your options quite severely, so perhaps you shoud list what your options are.

David Walker

Agent
i'm definitely open to looking into other brands beside Paradigm. I want to get the best sound for the money.

I'm going to have to talk with the insurance guy. I wish he could just tell me what options I have. But the way it works out, I've gotta just ask him "can you get so-and-so brand?"....MAYBE he can give me a list of some sort. I'll get in contact with him Monday and see what info he can give me. And then i'll bring that info back here and we'll be able to make an informed decision.

I am VERY interested in GR Research, but I really doubt it's on the list. I will ask though. The insurance guy is out of Boston, so it's not a local thing.

I REALLY appreciate all the help guys and am glad you're working with me at this!

David Walker

Agent
Okay, here's the deal. The adjuster cannot give me a list of companies he can deal with. He just has a long list of manufacturers and he says it’d be a lot easier if I just give him a short list of the brands I’m interested in and he’ll be able to let me know if it will work.

Speaker brands accepted:

Paradigm
PSB
Polk Audio
Dynaudio

Speaker brands rejected:
Linn Katan
Totem

What are some more brands I should ask him about? I would like to keep this list to a minimum so as to not bombard the guy (he's really working with me, and I don't want him to think I'm being unreasonable)!

Please suggest brands that you *think* they might deal with. They are getting me a Cambridge Audio cd player, so they DO have some range it seems like.

Brands to ask next:
GR Research
Energy ?

And I cannot reiterate my gratitude enough, thank you guys for sticking with me!

george king

Supporting Actor
I owned Kef before I got the GRs for that kind of money, you could get a pair of RDM2 bookshelfs, or the new Q5's which are smallish floorstanders.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I believe you stated that you are wanting to hear before purchasing and seeing from your above response it looks like you are going to be limited to the biggest speaker manufacturers.

Of the four lines you mentioned above I personally would lean towards the Dynaudio Audience series at Audio Systems on Koenig Lane. Probably followed by the Polk LSi, who I am not sure who carries them locally but I am sure someone does.

Some other brands that are carried locally that I would investigate and just might have a chance of being on the available list are Quad 11L and 12L and Spendor S-3/5 at Galen Carol Audio in San Antonio, Sonus Faber Concertino or Vienna Acoustic Haydn at High Fidelity on Anderson Lane. ProAc Tablette 8 at Sound Mind Audio, and Acoustic Energy AE-1 MKIII at Audio Systems.

Then some other brands that are carried locally and probably on the list but personally wouldn't be at the top of my list are Energy C-3 at Audio By Design, NHT at A&B TV, JM lab Cobalt 806 and Chorus 706 at Sound Mind Audio.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
David,

Take alook at the Monitor Audio silver series if they are in your area. Killer budget bookshelfs.

I think that the links to local sellers from the beginning of the thread are great. I would check them out, give a listen and make your decision based on that expereince.

Advice from forums like this is great, but it can only get you so far.

Good luck

-rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks