What's new

Bookshelf Speaker Hunt (1 Viewer)

jpatricks

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Hello everyone. I just joined up today. Looking for a set of bookshelf mains or speaker package to replace some older Polk Towers I have in the living room. Im willing to spend up to a 1000 but would prefer to keep it around 800 or less. So if anyone can point me in the right direction. These speaks are primarily used for theater.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Totem Rainmaker
Paradigm Mini Monitor(Don't know enough about Paradigm pricing to know if Studio bookshelves fit the price)
Zu Omen ($1200, but worth it. At least give Zu a read))

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum John :)Id consider both the Martin Logan LX16 ($700 pair) and Polk LSIM703 ($1k pair)4 Ohms recommended on both.Paradigm Studio 20 is recommended but will be $1500 a pair.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I own Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 mains, which I'm very happy with, and are in the range of your budget ($850-950, depending on finish).

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html

I'm not sure if this might be important to you, but one nice (and unusual) thing about the Sierra-1's is that there are two upgrade paths if you'd decide you'd like to upgrade in the future for less than the cost of brand new speakers:

[*]NrT tweeter
[*]Sierra-2, which has a new ribbon tweeter and new woofer (not yet on their website, but info is in their discussion forum)
[/list]
In both cases you can purchase that way from the start (although that's outside your current budget), send them to their facility for the upgrade, or you can order the upgrade kit and do it yourself.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I'll ditto the Rainmakers, amazing sound for such a small speaker, especially the bass.The Studio 20's are also nice, but I would still take the Rainmakers, even if the price was the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks