What's new

Books You've Read in 2013 (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The Partner by John Grisham
One of Grisham's better books, about a man who was supposedly dead, only that he isn't dead. It gets much deeper than that, and at times, it's hard to keep track of who is who, with so many names. But it's not hard to understand the basic story. And the ending... just wow! I did not see that coming.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The Testament remains my favorite Grisham. Just finished Divergent by Veronica Roth. The storytelling is quite good, though the setup is hard to buy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In the midst of some books. (And have a recent Grisham, stolen from my dad, for some lunchtime reading later this year. When I finally finish my re-read of The Passage.)

This is new to me, but this seems a reasonable place to mention Humble Bundle. I've had Boneshaker on my wishlist for a while, have heard Lois McMaster Bujold is good, and am sucker enough for Evil Wil Wheaton. And I'm completely stuck on The Wisemans Fear, and hope reading something shorter will get me going again. So I bought the whole bundle for $25.
https://www.humblebundle.com

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Summertime, All the Cats are Bored, Philippe Geeorget, 2013.Waiting fo Wednesday, Nicci French, 2013The Anarchisr Detective, Jason Webster, 2013Rider on the Rain, Sebastian Japrisot, 1972

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"Ringworld" by Larry Niven
That was loads of fun, even if the ending sort of just ended. If you haven't read this sci-fi classic, get it. It's light, fun, a little trippy (a little sexist, in that free-lovin' 1960s scifi way). I think I have to get the sequel for my next Audible credit.

I've started "Boneshaker" from the Humble Bundle.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I think either A Time to Kill or The Client is my favorite Grisham book, but it has been a very long time since I read either one.

Foreign Influence by Brad Thor
A much better book than The Apostle, as this book is about Harvath trying to connect the dots between the bombing in Rome and a hit-and-run attack of a woman in Chicago, and prevent from further terrorist attacks. I worried at first, the 2 separate storylines would be like The Apostle, but this one is done a lot better.

Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain
Basically, the story of Anthony Bourdain's career as a chef, and the behind the scenes stuff of the restaurant business. It can be unpleasant and intense at times to read, and for me, enough not to think about being a chef. Definitely worth checking out for Bourdain fans.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Heat Rises by Richard Castle
Another book tying in with the TV show, this time focusing more on Captain Montrose (who is based on Captain Montgomery's character), but the book tells a different story. Enjoyable for what it is, a book for the fans of the TV show.

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien
I'm guessing this is the prequel to the Lord of the Rongs trilogy. This is the first time I've read it, and did find it tough at times, due to the writing style of the time. I did not know that this was actually a children's book, as I find it harder to follow than any of the Harry Potter books. Still, I did like the book, and will get around to reading the trilogy later on.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just finished:
This Town: Two Parties and a Funeral-Plus, Plenty of Valet Parking!-in America's Gilded Capital
Short summary: Brilliant. This is just a fly on the wall piece about how things really happen in Wasington. Fantastic.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Slate's Gabfest (podcast) had the author of This Town on last week (he's old friend of the one of the hosts). It sounded quite interesting. I'll add that to my Audible list.

I read the Hugo-nominated short story "The Boy Who Casts No Shadow" (I heard about it from a different podcast and it was free). It was ok. I liked that it was inventive, and that it was short. But I wasn't impressed by the writing. But it was short and punchy.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Just finished William Shakespeare's Star Wars--Episode IV in iambic pentameter, and The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith, which was announced as a pseudonym for J.K. Rowling. It is much better than The Casual Vacancy.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Marisha Pessl's Night Film, 2013, about an investigative reporter's search for the truth about the suicide of the daughter of a reclusive horror film director, read Dario Argento and Mario Bava. A well-written, fast-moving, post-modern thrill ride.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Just finished Chaos Theory, Deep Freeze (Iceland's Economic Meltdown) and I am just about down with It Didn't Have to be this Way. Chaos Theory was ok, Deep Freeze was really good, and It Didn't Have to be this Way has been amazing so far.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Oliver Potzsch's historical, romantic thriller, The Ludwig Conspiracy, 2013, well-written, strong characterizations, cyphers, secret societies, mostly set in Munich and Bavaria as a whole. Reminiscent of Charade, would be perfect for Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I just finished reading 'Ender's Game' by Orson Scott Card. It's a futuristic sci fi story, with a military strategy prodigy by the name of Ender Wiggins, who is expected to save mankind from "The Buggers". It was a fun and pretty quick read. I'm interested to see the movie coming out soon, starring Harrison Ford and Abigail Breslin.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just finished Christopher Moore's "Fool". Enjoyed it quite a bit.

NSFW, but a phrase that has now completely entered my mentality:

Heinous Fuckery Most Foul, Heinous Fuckery Most Foul indeed.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
My reading habit has slowed down by a lot. But I did read the following...

The Iliad by Homer - I read the translation by Robert Fagles, and it was an okay read, but then again, I did have some interest in Greek mythology. Not easy to follow, though.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Just finished reading this one, and thought it was a fun read, even if it was kind of dark. Though, having seen the 1971 film beforehand, I could not help but compare the book to that movie, and notice the differences.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I didn't know where else to put this, so I am posting in this thread. A co-worker of mine has self-published his first book, and it is available for free this weekend on Amazon at the following link. I have not read it yet, but thought I would help out a really good person by getting a little word of mouth going for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks