What's new

Books You've Read 2014 (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
David_B_K said:
After finishing Ultra, I was in the mood to start William Manchester's first volume on Winnie ~ Visions of Glory.
The first two volumes that Manchester wrote are magnificent. The second volume was published in 1988. It's sad that he screwed around on other projects the last years of his life and never finished the third volume. It was completed posthumously by Paul Reid and published a year ago. I bought a copy and read it, but sadly it misses the Manchester touch.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
Just plowed my way through Terry Hayes' "I am Pilgrim".

If you're into xenophobia and lazy racial stereotyping you'll love this.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Dennis Nicholls said:
The first two volumes that Manchester wrote are magnificent. The second volume was published in 1988. It's sad that he screwed around on other projects the last years of his life and never finished the third volume. It was completed posthumously by Paul Reid and published a year ago. I bought a copy and read it, but sadly it misses the Manchester touch.
Yes, it is a pity that he didn't finish it. Maybe each volume was so daunting, he kept putting it off until it was too late? Reminds me of that TR biography by Edmund Morris that I mentioned earlier. The 3rd volume came out a year or two ago, and the first volume came out in the late 70's. I'll probably eventually read that third Churchill volume. I expect it will simply be a lot of exhaustive research by Manchester that has been assembled and written by someone else.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Currently reading the original Frankenstein. Some people are put off by the florid 19th century prose, but not me. I'm fascinated by how different the monster is from the movie portrayals. To hear him talk with such intelligence, sensitivity, and philosophical thoughtfulness is an eye opener.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
RobertR said:
Currently reading the original Frankenstein. Some people are put off by the florid 19th century prose, but not me. I'm fascinated by how different the monster is from the movie portrayals. To hear him talk with such intelligence, sensitivity, and philosophical thoughtfulness is an eye opener.
That's how the Creature was portrayed in the National Theatre production that played here as a Fathom event. Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller alternated every other evening as the Creature or Dr. Frankenstein. I saw both versions, and they were really very faithful to the novel. Your last sentence sums it all up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks