Books that made you say: "This Should be a Movie"

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chris, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Just finished reading "The Testament" (Grisham) .. most of his last few books have not been my forte, I didn't find them to be as interesting as his earlier work; Testament has been out for quite a while, but I waited until paperback.. after having read it I thought: "This would be a good film" .. when I first read "Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil" I thought the same (the movie was not nearly as good as the book; but not bad).. I thought the same of "Memoirs of a Geisha" (wasn't something supposedly happening on that?) Any other books people are waiting to be films?

2. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Ender's Game
    Speaker for the Dead
    Enchantment
    Star Wars Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command (hey I was eleven at the time [​IMG])

Left Behind (thirteen or so when I read that, and liked it at the time *shudder*)

A song of ICe and Fire (actually I thought: this should be a series (not a mini series but a season to season series) on HBO the length and quality of the Sopranos )

American Gods - read this back when all I knew of Vin Diesal was Pitch Black, I still think he could pull Shadow off, but many would disagree because he has been permentently seared as the heir to schwarzenegger/stallone in people's minds. [​IMG]

Adam

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

4. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

I would like for movies to be made of ALL the Tom Ripley films, in order, and faithful to the books.

* The Talented Mr Ripley - while an excellent film, and the film that put me onto the Ripley books, the book takes some significant deviation from the book.

* Ripley Under Ground - If you can believe them, Ain't It Cool had an article about a new Ripley film called White On White that is supposedly based on Ripley Under Ground, but the description bears almost no resemblance to the book, other than being set in the art world. In the book, the painter Derwatt walked into the sea to committ suicide and the body was never found. Ripley then comes up with a plan where a young painter friend of Derwatt's, Bernard, should make fake Derwatts to 'continue Derwatt's career' and make money (the apparent suicide caused the painting value to appreciate). The gallery owners selling the paintings claimed he was living in Mexico. Tom disguises himself as Derwatt for a brief public appearance. Murchison, an owner of a fake Derwatt suspects the painting is fake, and when he realises Ripley played Derwatt, Ripley has to kill him.
    And the story progresses from there. A film based on that story would be great. The film described as White On White is not that story.

* Ripley's Game - This has recently been filmed with John Malkovich as Ripley - genius casting. Haven't seen it, it's showing at the film festival here in a couple of weeks, plan to see it, hope it will be good.

* The Boy Who Followed Ripley - A different type of book, about a boy who runs away from his American home after his millionaire father commits suicide, and travels to France under an assumed name, where he befriends Ripley. An interesting book, that really focuses on the human Ripley, rather than the amoral killer Ripley.

* Ripley Under Water - And this is the real reason why I want the films to be made, all by one studio was one film series. The final Ripley book is about a couple who know decidedly too much about Ripley's past. The entire book is probably my favourite, just filled with incredible sequences, and is filled with references to past books (especially Ripley Under Ground). You COULD adapt it in such a way that the story would work, but it wouldn't be as good.

So there is my answer. A consistent series by one studio with two Ripley actors (one young for Talented, one older for the other films). Those are the books I want to see adapted.

5. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

6. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Good call on Ender's Game. What's the hold-up with that one??

Other ones I'd like to see done right:

Robert McCammon's Swan Song
    Stephen King's The Eyes of the Dragon
    Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Out of Card's stuff, I'd like to see Wyrms. Though ti would probably be quite expensive.

I think most stuff Larry Niven has written is quite movieable. Ringworld would be a good start.

I think Neil Gaiman's American Gods woudl also be a good candidate with the right director. I'm thinking Alex Proyas.

9. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

I've always loved, I am Legend, by Richard Matheson It's been adapted and bastardized before like Omega Man, and The Vincent Price film, I can't think of the name right now. A direct adaptation would be excellent, it would lend itself greatly to film, it is a short book and could easily be expanded on without ruining what is good at the heart of the story.

10. Christopher_S

Christopher_S Stunt Coordinator

I'd be interested to see what a strong director (e.g., Terry Gilliam), could do with the work of David Foster Wallace, a big fave of mine. (See sig [​IMG] ) Years ago, I heard a rumor that HBO was considering producing a miniseries based upon Infinte Jest. I'd like to have seen that...

11. Brian Ralph

Brian Ralph Stunt Coordinator

Run
    Picked it up on a whim while on vacation, and had a great time reading it. Not an intellectual novel, to be sure, but it could be a tremendously fun film.

By the way, simply searching for "Run" in Amazon books without the author's name results in 2800 hits. [​IMG]

Burden Lane is living the American Dream. He's an arms dealer. On the Level. Legit. But he's figured out a way to subsidize his paycheck - running guns to the wrong people for the right price. Which is illegal. And dangerous. His girlfriend thinks he's a salesman. His best friend thinks he's a role model. His boss thinks he's a good soldier. Whatever. Lane thinks he's got it made. Until a so-called milk run from Dirty City to Manhattan goes bad. Really bad. As in: everyone's gunning for him. Cops. Criminals. Coworkers. Everyone. And there's no way out. Except to lock, load and RUN like hell.

"Makes Pulp Fiction look like a mere primer on violence."
    Washington Post

12. Werner_R

Werner_R Stunt Coordinator

Peter F. Hamilton's SF trilogy: Night's Dawn

Fast paced space opera, could be made into great films !

13. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

14. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes Supporting Actor

Hugh Jackes
    Replay by Ken Grimwood

An unhappy middle-aged man has a heart attack, dies, and wakes up to find himself in his college dorm room. He realizes that somehow, his whole life is a do-over (City Slickers quote).

He gets rich through investments, meets and marries a different girl, has different children, then dies on the exact same date.

And wakes up to find himself in his college dorm room.

He has a series of do-overs, and lives his life differently each time.

Sounds hokie, but it is a moving series of examinations on the human experience.

15. Keith Yatsuhashi

Keith Yatsuhashi Stunt Coordinator

YES! I am SO with you on Relic. As a matter of fact I was just about to mention Relic. After seeing the movie, all I could think was that there were some books I'd NEVER want to see as movies simply because I don't think they'd be done well. All you need to do is watch the first 15 minutes of Battlefield Earth to cure you of ever wanting books to be turned into movies.

Books that would make good movies

Sanford's Prey books. Good thrillers, pretty hard to screw them up.

The Cabinet of Curiorisities - The best book I've read in the last two years. I couldn't put it down. Maybe the second time is the charm for Preston and Child. Less a monster story than a murder mystery. That makes it tougher for Hollywood to turn it into a monster FX extravaganza

Ice Station: More of a movie than a book anyway.

The Grid: 2001 A Space Odyssey in a 'smart' building. The building's computer starts killing people. Creepy and timely. Would make a good movie.

f2f: Truly scary murder mystery. Could be a really good movie.

Star Wars - Wow, what a good book. I think it would make a decent movie.....Gotcha!

Books Hollywood should keep its greedy hands off of:

Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt books - Ain't no way I can see anyone pulling this off, not for me anyway. They would turn into all FX movies and the characters would be lost. I think these stories are better experienced on page than screen.

Wheel of Time: Peter Jackson is a GOD. I never thought LOTR could be done, and done well. I'm just to cynical to believe lightning would strike twice. Besides, this story is just too long to be done right.

The Bible - Can't be done without pissing someone off!

Movies that Out-lasted the Books

James Bond - well done! More people see James Bond movies nowthan will ever read them. I can't imagine many people reading Ian Flemmings originals anymore.

Jaws - Wanna bet alot of Gen X'ers don't even know that Jaws was a book.

2001 A Space Odyssey - When you hear someone talk about 2001, chances are they're talking about the movie, not the book.

The Wizard of Oz - Tough one, classic book, classic movie. The movie is so imbedded in our pop culture though that you have to give the edge to the movie.

Mary Poppins - obviously

16. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    I'm currently reading Sabatini's Captain Blood, and I keep thinking to myself that it could be a fantastically compelling four to six hour miniseries. There's just way too much in it to make into a single film -- the Errol Flynn/Michael Curtiz version from 1935 is a great movie, and quite faithful to the first quarter of the book...and that's about what it covers: a quarter. [​IMG]

17. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

The Niven & Pournelle collaborations. A huge part of my disappointment with Independence Day was that it wasn't Footfall, which could just be epic if done right. MGM/UA had The Legacy Of Heorot optioned a few years ago, but nothing came of it. That's probably a lucky break (as bad as MGM is now, it was worse then), but there's a kick-ass action film in there that could potentially make people forget Aliens.

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Yes! Any of the Preston/Child novels would make rip-roaring movies if they don't screw with them as much as they did The Relic. And don't forget their new novel, Still Life With Crows is in stores now. [​IMG]

I still hope to see Brian Lumley's Necroscope series on screen one day. But they're so dense and involved I think it would take someone with a fan's appreciation of the material, like Peter Jackson to LOTR, to do it right. Not to mention a sizeable budget.

19. Keith Yatsuhashi

Keith Yatsuhashi Stunt Coordinator

I didn't think Still Life with Crows was due until July

20. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer