What's new

BOOK REVIEW -- "RECLAIMING HISTORY: THE ASSASSINATION OF PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY" (2 Viewers)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Don't want to get away from the purpose of this thread, but I do (for obvious reasons) find the Marine aspect of all this interesting.
Found this passage at the "Crime Library" site

"[Whitman]... left for basic training on July 6, 1959.

Charlie spent the first part of his stint with the Marines at Guantanamo Naval Base in Cuba. He worked hard at being a good Marine, following orders dutifully and studying hard for his various examinations. He earned a Good Conduct Medal, the Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal, and a Sharpshooter’s Badge. Chillingly, the records of his scores on shooting tests show that he scored 215 out of 250 possible points, that he excelled at rapid fire from long distances, and that he seemed to be more accurate when shooting at moving targets. Captain Joseph Stanton, Executive Officer of the 2nd Marine Division remembered, “He was a good marine. I was impressed with him. I was certain he’d make a good citizen.”"

Don't know how seriously to take all that, for one thing, you don't get a Good Conduct Medal "at first".
You get it after 3 years of...at least avoiding real bad conduct.

Found the 215 rifle score interesting.
It's the Sharpshooter level, again, NOT the best.
BTW, I had scored 210 in boot camp, just sliding in above the dreaded Marksman level.
-----------------------------------
Here's a little personal history I wrote a couple of years ago followed by a short history of Camp Matthews:

Camp Matthews”…the Marine rifle range near San Diego. In 1964 part of my boot camp experience was rifle training there. The goal was to fire the M-14 as well as possible. Top scorers earned an Expert badge, and then came Sharpshooter and, though it may sound important, the Marksman was the least of the three. Below that you had failed to show proficiency and would have to try again.
After about 3 weeks of training I was pretty average. On the big day the final shots were made in the prone position at 500 yards. When it came down to it, I needed all bull’s-eyes if I was going to score 210 and earn “Sharpshooter.”
My instructor told me to take my time, and I did.
Normally the range is really noisy. But I was noticing that toward the end I could actually hear my own shots echoing in the surrounding hills. I got the needed bulls-eyes and then saw that everyone else had finished firing.
The record book for the range was brought over to me and they asked me to sign it. I was the last Marine to fire a shot on “A” Range at Camp Matthews.
Here’s a little history of the place:

"A major part of recruit training concerns the art of weaponry or marksmanship training. Such training involves use of considerable isolated land for weapon firing. From the beginning of marine training in San Diego, it had been necessary to establish and maintain a rifle range on a small tract of land a few miles north of the main base. First called the Marine Rifle Range (Pueblo Lands), La Jolla, then officially commissioned as Camp Calvin B. Matthews in 1942, the range became the home for the Weapons Training Battalion, Marine Corps Recruit Depot. Named for Lieutenant Colonel Calvin B. Matthews, a distinguished Marine marksman of the 1930 period, the rifle range remained an effective training facility until closed in 1964 to provide for expansion of San Diego. To show how the range grew during World War II, in 1942, 69,208 Marines fired over the course and in 1944, this figure rose to over 100,000. From its beginning in 1918 to its final shot, over one million shooters fired over 300 million rounds while undergoing weapons training(2).
As the war caused the Marine Base and its satellite unit to be expanded, so also did the conflict in growth result for the City of San Diego. When the war ended, San Diego's urban expansion continued and in the late 1950's negotiations began for the removal of Camp Matthews to provide for both city expansion and college construction(3). The University of California wanted to establish its San Diego campus on the site of the Marine Rifle Range. Bowing to civilian pressures, funds granted by Congress permitted construction of a new range for the Weapons Training Battalion in the Stuart Mesa area of Camp Pendleton. Plans and construction began in 1962 and 1963 respectively and the new facility, named Edson Range, became operational on 8 August 1964. Closing ceremonies occurred at Camp Matthews on 21 August 1964 and 46 years of Marine training at that portion of the San Diego Marine Base came to an end. Today, only a plaque on the campus of the University of California at San Diego marks the site(5)."

Sorry, the footnotes aren't here.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, me too. Oswald scored almost an identical score -- a 212 in 1956 when he joined the Marines.

Whitman, a "215 Sharpshooter", picked off 45 people from a high perch in Texas in August 1966.

Oswald, a "212 Sharpshooter", picked off 2 people from a high perch in Texas in November 1963.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
To illustrate the kind of total nonsense that certain conspiracy theorists believe (and to also illustrate a complete lack of common sense being demonstrated by the conspiracy theorist below), I felt compelled today, on this sixth anniversary of the tragic 9/11 events, to re-post an exchange I engaged in this morning at a JFK forum.......

============================================

>>> "If it's an "ironclad fact" that CE 399 struck Connally, I'm George Bush." >> "Find us ONE other instance in HISTORY where a bullet was found on a stretcher an hour after the victim was removed from the stretcher, and after the sheets had been pulled from the stretcher."

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
HERE'S a very, very good article written by assassination researcher and Emmy-winner Dale Myers. The article focuses on Lee Bowers, who was an assassination eyewitness on November 22, 1963.

And the Bowers story is a perfect example (among many) of how conspiracy-oriented myths are born and grow and fester, until nearly everyone believes in them...including me (I'm ashamed to say).

I had always thought, until quite recently in fact, that Lee Bowers was a pretty good witness to bolster the "conspiracy" side of the great JFK debate. But, when examined more closely, he's really not a "CT" witness in the slightest way.

And this is just the kind of thing that Vince Bugliosi does, time and again, in his 2007 JFK book "Reclaiming History" (i.e., exposing "CT Myths" as just that....myths).

HERE is a related essay about Bowers.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
September 18, 2007:

HBO is 'Reclaiming History': Network gets rights to book debunking JFK conspiracies.....

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-hb...p-tv-headlines

"The cable network {"Home Box Office"} has acquired the rights to Vincent Bugliosi's book "Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy," which aims to debunk any and all theories that some shadowy cabal plotted Kennedy's death in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963. ....

"With the 50th anniversaries of President Kennedy's inaugural address [2011] and assassination [2013] looming in the next few years," Paxton says, "we felt it was the right time to pursue this project." "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I asked {Tom} Hanks, when do you want this {10-hour miniseries} to come out, and he said 2010. And I said, I'm glad you said 2010, because if you'd have said 2008, I'd be worried. ... If he had said 2008, I would have known that he couldn't have done justice to it. But he wants to make it something that's going to shake up America. And I think it is." -- Vincent Bugliosi; July 23, 2007; Via Radio Interview on KTLK-FM, Minneapolis, Minnesota

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
People who love flights-of-fancy conspiracy theories will want to pick up the Warner Home Video DVD release of the 1973 feature film "Executive Action", starring Burt Lancaster. (Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1; 91 minutes; Release Date of 10/23/07.)

I really like the cover art....especially the dramatic blurb about the real culprits behind the assassination remaining "somewhere among us" to this day. .... That's funny, I would have thought the "Mystery Death Squad" would have rubbed out pretty much everyone involved by this time. Maybe they missed one of the real killers. :)

http://www.google.com/group/alt.cons...4ed4a67062926d

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
DVP, I've put the book on hold for me at my local library. Can't wait to pick it up. Have you watched all the videos and audio on the official site? They're all really good.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
RE.: OSWALD'S CHANGING ALIBI(S):

One of the main points to be made re. Lee Oswald's "alibi" attempts is the fact that LHO so obviously didn't have a good and ironclad one.....BECAUSE HE GAVE SEVERAL OF THEM to various people in authority from November 22nd to November 24th, 1963.

A person who DOES have an ironclad, rock-solid alibi doesn't need to waver AT ALL, does he now?

And Vince Bugliosi (in his JFK book) picked up on a very good "Oswald slip-up" that came out of LHO's mouth on the morning of November 24th, just before Oz was killed. And this indicates, once more, the fact that Oswald was all over the map with respect to his alibi for the exact time of the shooting......

"During Sunday's {11/24/63} interrogation Oswald slipped up and placed himself on the sixth floor {of the TSBD} at the time of the assassination. .... In his Sunday-morning interrogation he said that at lunchtime, one of the "Negro" employees invited him to eat lunch with him and he declined. .... He said before he could finish whatever he was doing, the commotion surrounding the assassination took place and when he "WENT DOWNSTAIRS," a policeman questioned him as to his identification, and his boss stated that he was one of their employees. .... WHERE WAS OSWALD AT THE TIME THE NEGRO EMPLOYEE INVITED HIM TO LUNCH, AND BEFORE HE DESCENDED TO THE SECOND-FLOOR LUNCHROOM? {Answer:} The sixth floor." [All emphasis Bugliosi's.] -- Vincent Bugliosi; On Page 957 of "Reclaiming History" (c.2007)*

* = The source number ("36") that is attached to the above text in Mr. Bugliosi's book leads to this Source Note on the CD-ROM disc attached to the back cover of each copy of "Reclaiming History":

"WR, p.636; 7 H 302, WCT Harry D. Holmes."

Here is Page #636 of the Warren Report:

http://history-matters.com/archive/j...port_0330b.htm

And here's the other VB source (WC Volume #7; Page 302):

http://history-matters.com/archive/j...Vol7_0155b.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.DavidVonPein.blogspot.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The previously-mentioned 1973 fairy-tale movie "Executive Action" has now been released (as of October 23rd, 2007).

There's a bonus "Vintage Featurette" on the DVD that I didn't expect to see, entitled "November 22, 1963: In Search Of An Answer".

It's a pretty good 10-minute behind-the-scenes "making of" type of program, with 1973 interviews with the film's main stars (Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, and Will Geer), plus producer Edward Lewis and screenplay writer Dalton Trumbo.

www.amazon.com/review/RZDLCO3JOOSUV

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Bugliosi will be interviewed on In Depth on CSPAN-2 this Sunday, November 4th. In Depth is a monthly series in which an author discusses his or her entire body of work during a live 3 hour interview that includes viewer calls and e-mails.

The show airs live from noon to 3 PM ET, with a rebroadcast from midnight until 3 AM Monday. You can call in during the live broadcast or submit e-mail questions either in advance or during the show. (Details below)

For more information, visit www.booktv.org.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Book TV Alert
C-SPAN2's Book TV: November 3-5

A monthly LIVE author interview, featuring your calls
Sunday 12 PM-3 PM ET, re-airs Sunday at midnight ET
Join us for a conversation with author Vincent Bugliosi. Mr. Bugliosi was the lead prosecutor in the case against the Manson Family and successfully prosecuted 105 out of 106 felony cases during his tenure as a prosecutor for the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office. He is the author of several books, including Helter Skelter, And the Sea Will Tell, Till Death Do Us Part, The Betrayal of America, and his most recent Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

You can join this three-hour conversation by e-mailing your question to [email protected] or by calling in during the program: Democrats 202-737-0001, Republicans 202-737-0002, Independents 202-628-0205

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Three interesting hours with "Reclaiming History" author Vincent Bugliosi (via "Book TV" on 11/4/07), touching on Vince's entire career as lawyer and author (sans his excellent O.J. book, "Outrage", which isn't discussed at all, unfortunately). .....

http://www.booktv.org/program.aspx?P...&PlayMedia=Yes

There's one hilarious moment during the 3-hour program that I want to mention....and that is the crazy question asked by the host after Vince told him he was born in Hibbing, Minnesota. The host then asks, "Why?"

Vincent's reaction was great too, when he fired back with "Why was I born in Hibbing??!"

If somebody asked me: "Why were you born in Richmond, Indiana" (my hometown), I think I'd just want to sit there and stare at the questioner with an empty look on my face, as I tried to figure out why this guy is asking me such a nutty question.

But Vince handled it very well, in that he didn't rub the stupid question back into the host's face very much. But VB certainly could have done so, and with good reason. ;)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I have the whole three hours waiting on my DVR, and I'll probably go through it in chunks over the next few nights. I sometimes watch In Depth live, have had an e-mailed question or two answered and even got to ask one of John Keegan live on the air, but usually I time shift the show and watch it later. For one thing, it lets me fast forward through the some of the crazy and/or boring callers who sometimes slip past the screeners.

"Because that's where my mother was and I wanted to be close to her."

:)

Actually, the question is a little less crazy than it sounds if you understand it as a bit of shorthand in search of the kind of biographical detail CSPAN hosts are so fond of. "Why" meaning, "How is it that your parents were living in Hibbing, Minnesota at that time?" Brian Lamb, especially likes to ask about where people have lived and what their parents did for a living, and that habit rubs off on the other hosts. The difference is that Lamb would have asked "Why?" with a twinkle in his eye and a tone that conveyed that he knew he was asking an odd question and doing so for a reason. I think that's where the host was going, and when Vince's reaction made it clear he had utterly botched the delivery, he just dropped it and moved on.

Can't believe they skipped the O.J. book. With all the recent headlines, you'd tink the callers, if not the interviewer, would want to get into that.

Regards,

Joe

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

The book is held up on camera (for promo purposes)....but there's no conversation about the case at all during the three-hour program.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Hello. I finished the book a few days ago and am now just getting around to post about it. I have to say that upon finally(!) getting to the section on Jim Garrison, Clay Shaw, and JFK I was not expecting anymore ridiculous claims or false assertions...oops! That dude (Garrison) had to have been seriously off his rocker. To drug and then hypnotize someone to get the answers you want out of him is just so...so...I was floored, his mere existence as a man of law made me feel dirty, seriously, and the fact that Oliver Stone picked this jackass to turn into a hero...ugh...after all that I needed a pick-me-up so I'm reading the new Charles Schulz bio. :)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I don't have time to go through the whole thread to see if I mentioned this before, so forgive me if I repeat myself. Around the time of the Stone film I either saw or read an interview with a lawyer who had been a very junior member of Garrison's staff at the time. He claimed that nobody could make a film depticting what the investigation was really like, because the casting would be impossible - "The Three Stooges are all dead." :D

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks