What's new

Boo Hoo! My Sony MDS-JA555ES minidisc deck goes in for repair tomorrow. :o( (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Keith,
I know what you mean about liking minidisc. I just bought my first player/recorder yesterday MZ-R900DPC(portable) and even after just one day of use, I wouldn't trade it for the world. (well, maybe the world... :) ) I love it!
My only gripe is that I got into the format so damn late. Because now I want to buy a MD Deck, but I haven't seen any other brands but Sony on the shelves.
Because of your experiences, it makes me want to shy away from buying a Sony MD-Deck.
Well, here's to hoping that Sony wont screw you around much longer, and your problem will be resolved soon.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Keith,

I've just noticed this thread. What a nightmare. The Sony customer experience north of the boarder seem to be no better.

November 2000, I bought myself a Wega TV, which blew up 32 days after purchase, so I couldn't take it back to the dealer (30 day money back). Nice. So I got it to a Sony repair center for repair. The convergence board was shot. Sadly, they didn't have the part in stock, and had to go to Sony for the part. Sony didn't have the part, so I had to wait. The estimated wait time was 3+ months. There was no question of a replacement set, or a refund. They just expected me to wait. I couldn't believe it.

Fortunately for me, my dealer was a large chain, and was willing to take the TV back anyway. Chains have way more power than consumers with Sony. Got a 40H80 instead, and never looked back.

Combining that with the fact that *every single* Sony product I've ever owned has broken down, I've decided to boycott Sony electronics henceforth. I'm sure other manufacturers have similar problems, but I've yet to personally encounter them.

I can't help but think that they could treat consumers better, if they really wanted. Unfortunately, such a move would impact the bottom line too much (at least, in the short term).

I hope things work out for you - i.e., a refund, and the decision to find a different manufacturer for replacement...

Martin.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Keith and Matthew: Neat-o: I have an HHB 830 on the way. For me, I fear that MD has just became obsolete. :frowning:
I plan to use the stand alone burner along with my PC burner. I can't imagine that the editing flexibility with that combo can be beat by MD. I like being able to edit WAV files on the PC. (Adjust volume levels between tracks *after* the fact, cross-fades, etc.)

Westly T

Second Unit
I just wanted to add my Sony MD experiences. I've had 2 bad units and 4 good ones. My first was the 510 and I had all the classic problems after just a few months, luckily I was able to get it returned. Then I got the R50 portable and it had problems in the first week. I exchanged it and the replacement still works flawlessly today. I had an MDS-JB920 and it worked flawlessly for me and last I checked it is still working for the person I sold it to. The JB930 I got next still works perfectly with no problems at all. I also have a 6-disk changer in my car (The first one) and it also works perfectly and is used several times a week.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Andy and Martin, although the 'JA555ES broke down on me, I can't say that all Sony MD products are garbage. My MXD-D3 and MDS-JB930 home decks have performed flawlessly. The situation with the 'JA555ES is particularly disappointing given that it should be the best deck of the three.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Keith,
I know what you're saying. I didn't mean to imply that they're all garbage. Sorry about that. But I do believe that customer service after the sale is as important as the design, and production (design and build quality) before the sale. And the best way to change a company's attitudes is to vote with your dollar. OK, that's me off my rant. :) I hope it all works out for you.
Martin.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin, no problem. I understand your point. Unfortunately, with minidisc, one has practically no options outside of Sony. Meanwhile, I am waiting to see how Sony will respond to my latest complaint.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Keith:
Maybe this is something you hard-core (not casual) MD users should consider: a pro audio model. Go to this website: www.fullcompass.com and check out the Sony models. I received a catalog last night and the MD recorder's description indicates "a more rugged transport than consumer models."
Rich B.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Richard, I have considered the pro-audio MD route. I don't know about the sound quality, however. I have checked out the fullcompass.com web site before. It's cumbersome and they don't list prices, but they supposedly have reasonable prices.

The latest with Sony is that they have not decided exactly how they will handle my situation yet, but my contact at Sony Corporate called me last night and said that she has been in contact with her supervisor, the manager of Sony customer service, and the manager at Bristol in the hopes of reaching a resolution soon. She said that she and her manager are pushing for Sony to give me a replacement deck or buy back my unit. Obviously, the latter option is best because I can then buy whatever I want.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Keith:

I can get you the model # so you can call and get a price over the phone. Regarding sound quality of pro gear, I would think it would be top notch - the business of Pro Audio is making the sound; many people (on HTF) use pro audio CD recorders - they seem to be pleased. I hope Sony makes good on your broken deck.

Rich B.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Richard, I went to fullcompass.com's web site a little while ago and saw the Sony 'E11 and 'E58 models. For the 'E11, they described the transport as being more rugged than those on consumer models. Of course, they don't sell Sony ES consumer decks, and I naturally wonder how these decks would compare in terms of transport and sound quality. Pro audio components are usually made to withstand abuse, so I would expect the pro audio MD decks to be made well. Also, I agree with you that sound quality should be very good too. My only experience with pro audio equipment was with a Tascam DA-20mkII DAT deck that I owned for a few months last year. It was an excellent component in every way.
I also checked out pro MD decks on samash.com since they list prices, but their selection is extremely limited. They have a Sony 'E10 deck on sale, which I assume is a predecessor to the 'E11. I am going to call Oade Bros. in a little while as well since they sell pro audio gear. They are big into DAT, but they may have pro MD decks too. If so, I should be able to get good information on which decks to consider in my price range. Plus, Oade Bros. has great prices.
By the way, congratulations on 500 posts. You've been an excellent contributor here. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Richard, no problem. I just got off the phone with Oade Bros. and am liking the idea of getting a Sony pro MD deck. Oade Bros. claims there are two current pro decks available, the MDS-E10 and the MDS-E12. They retail for $599 and $899, respectively, but Oade Bros. sells them for $425 and $595, respectively. So, if Sony buys back my 'JA555ES for the full amount I paid, I would come out ahead if I bought the 'E12.

According to the Oade Bros. salesman, whom I have come to know and trust, the pro MD decks are built better than the consumer models from a transport standpoint, which is to be expected given the "abuse" that pro decks are expected to withstand (constant use, plus transportation to and from various recording venues). He also said that the sound quality of the pro decks is up to snuff, which also doesn't surprise me since one would think that musicians and recording engineers are discerning listeners. Finally, Oade Bros. said that if I had a need for repair work, I would be dealing with a different division of Sony (pro audio vs. consumer) and would more than likely get better customer service. So, if Sony comes back to me with money, I will more than likely get the 'E12.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Keith:

Glad to hear you're getting quoted some good prices. Just doublecheck the extra features you'll be getting with the E12 model. I remember reading that it includes balanced inputs/outputs, a feature you won't need. Do a comparison of the feature differences, the E10 may be all you require.

Rich B.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Richard, absolutely. I have already printed out information on both models from Sony's web site and will compare them thoroughly . Oade Bros. told me that the main difference between the two models is the features offered. The two players look identical from the front. Both decks offer MDLP, headphone jacks, PC keyboard inputs, etc. As you suggested, the differences between the two models will be found on the back panel. They even weigh the same (6.5 lbs.), so they may be very similar on the inside. Frankly, I am surprised that they aren't heavier. My 'JA555ES weighs 33 lbs.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Keith,
If you're considering a Sony pro deck, take a look at units from Link Removed. They are nice. I know many Sony "pro" decks have SCMS. If I buy another MD deck I'm shooting for Tascam. Oade even lists them though I got there through a search engine and the page isn't available from their page.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Keith- Be careful in terms of pro vs consumer.
I tried out both the Sony pro PCM-R500 and consumer DTC-ZA5ES DAT decks. Same, exact transport in both. The ES model was built better though. (Weighed like 5 lbs more.)
But I didn't like either and ended up with a Tascam.
Also, most pro equipment (that we would buy, anyway) is based on consumer gear.
For example, I know that Pioneer makes the underpinnings of the HHB Pro CD-R/RW deck I just got. (Go check out the reviews of the Pioneer PDR-609 on Link Removed That's why I got it.)
And I know that Sony supplies at least the laser for the Tascam CD-RW700 pro CD-R/RW machine.
Depending on what happens with your JA555ES, you might try and *overlap* with whatever next machine you'll try. I had the JA20ES and then now the JA333ES. Excellent machines. I don't like Sony, really, but I *have* to believe that you're just having some bad luck. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin,

Interesting tidbit. Thanks for sharing.

Philip,

I am aware of a Tascam MD deck. It has '301' in the model number. Oade Bros. sells it for $415. I discussed the Tascam unit with the person at Oade Bros., and he did not say that was any reason to go with the Tascam player over either of the Sony models. When I was shopping for DAT decks in the fall of 2000, the same person strongly suggested I go with a Tascam unit over a pro Sony model.

Kevin,

Thanks for the info. As I said in an earlier post, the person I spoke to at Oade Bros., whom I have spoken to many times and whom I trust, said the Sony pro decks have a more robust transport than the consumer decks. Now, I don't know if this counts the ES decks. Anyway, this person at Oade Bros. seems to be knowledgable. Back in October 2000, he steered me to a Tascam DA-20mkII DAT deck over a Sony PCM-R300, which I feel was excellent advice. The Tascam deck was excellent. Anyway, I am strongly considering a pro MD deck. I do agree with you, however, that I am probably just having bad luck with the 'JA555ES. By all accounts except for mine, it is a first-rate component. Still, I'm not sure I want to try another 'JA555ES. Maybe I would be better off with a 'JA333ES. I'm not sure if the transports on the two players are identical. Maybe the 'JA333ES being newer has a better transport. I have no idea. Another part of me thinks that perhaps the drawer just adds complexity that I shouldn't bother with. The pro decks, like the non-ES consumer decks, have no drawer.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Keith- I thought that I read somewhere :) (either through distillation of the marketing at Sony's site, or maybe at www.minidisc.org) that the only differences between the 333 and the 555 were that the 333 had that MDLP thing, and that the 555 had separate power supplies for the analog and digital sides. That's why the 555 weighs more.
As far as the R500 and ZA5ES: same exact transport. They both made a loud clicking noise when switching between functions; and the display, menu modes, etc.: all identical. The ZA5ES had optical inputs and outputs, the R500 didn't. Both have coax in and out. Even though the R500 is bigger, it felt more *empty* because the ZA5ES weighed more. The ZA5ES was also more balanced weight-wise across the unit. It may be possible that the dude at Oade (who I completely trust as well, BTW; good resource for *anything* "digital" and Sony ES stuff in general) may have not had personal experience with both decks. But Tascam makes great decks, as we both well know! :)
The R300 is the pro equivalent of the DTC-E700 (or something).
If you do go pro for MD, (and I know you'll do this anyway!!), just make sure to check all the specs. (24 bit engines, ATRAC level, etc.)
And, if you do go pro for MD, let us all know how it works out! Pro gear is kind of neat, because when someone walks up to your rack and they say, "wow, what's that," and you get to explain that it's piece of "pro" gear. Unduly impresses people who don't know any better! And usually pro gear is *not* the ubiquitous "black box" we all usually get with consumer gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks