What's new

Bonus disc problems on Lost s2 from bestbuy.com? (1 Viewer)

I just got this email from Best Buy:

-----------------

Dear Best Buy Customer,

Thank you for your recent Lost Season 2 DVD order on BestBuy.com.

Due to a shipping issue with our vendor the DVD we sent you may not have the Special Features bonus disc included. Our inventory of the bonus disc has sold out and we are unable to procure additional units from the vendor. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. Because you are a valued customer, we would like to offer you a $5 Digital Coupon* toward a future purchase at www.BestBuy.com.

-----------------

Sounds like I was lucky. I went into the store for in-store pickup, and I was able to make sure the bonus disc was in there, but I wonder how many people ordered home delivery and got screwed/will get screwed.

Just wanted to make people aware.

Josh

bignev44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neville Johnson
I got the same email but i did the same thing that you did and i recieved the bonus disk when i picked it up,i wonder if they just sent that to everyone that ordered it online.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
If you ask me, the number one reason to pre-order this set online is just SO you can be assured of receiving that disk. I'm very sorry if some of you missed out on it!

The bonus disk was very hard to come by, this year! I went to BestBuy the day after it came out. They had a HUGE stand for the Lost dvds...probably 100 copies stuffed in there. Only THREE still had the bonus disk. I felt very fortunate to get it (even though there's not really anything indispensible on there). Still, I had last year's bonus disk, and wanted this years' too!

bignev44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neville Johnson
I agree with you about ordering it to get the bonus disk,i did the same with Prison Break and they had a set for me on the side without the bonus disk so i went and got another one from the shelf,the woman was making a big stink out of it but then she realized why i wanted it so they gave me hat one but i had to put up quite a fight.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I got that email too and I don't know if my set has the disc or not since it has not arrived yet.

I wouldn't mind so much if instead of offering a $5 coupon (only valid if you buy more stuff!), they offered an online torrent download of the bonus DVD's vob files so we could burn our own copy. That would solve Best Buy's bad planning, and cost them nothing more than server space and bandwidth (which they likely have tons of).

bignev44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neville Johnson
I used that $5 coupon to help reduce the cost of Voltron and Star Wars tin,didnt do very much...

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I'd be willing to bet that Best Buy.com never had sufficient quantities and this goies to show that online retailers continue to deceive their customers into ordering the product from their site. Retailers who operate websites must be liable for failure to sufficiently stock these bonus disks and not by just giving out measly old $5 digital coupons ...

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Where's my evidence? Let's take a look at the Prison Break fiasco and the Beavis and BGutthead fiasco invo9lving both Best Buy and Target. They advertised for the product on the bonus disks but when it was being sold, they didn't have it ... I don't know about you, but that is false advertisement.

And, retail stores, whether they be online or brick and mortar aren't going to tell you why they don't have the bonus disks ... they're going to continue under the belief and allow the consumer to believe that they no longer have the disks.

This should be stated on their webiste accompanying the product advertised, but they don't and so consumers continue to get mislead and misinformed and continue to order product from a store that don't carry the merchandise.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I agree it is fraud.

I just got my package in the mail today, and the bonus disc is not present. I am officially another victim of Best Buy's Bait 'n' Switch bonus disc offer on Lost Season Two.

If anyone hears of any class action lawsuits against them, I'll join.

Until then, I'm sticking to Amazon.com or DeepDiscountDVD.com for Battlestar Galactica Season 2.5 -- Best Buy has a bonus disc, but charges $15 more for it, with no assurance that you'll get it.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I think BestBuy simply under-produces the bonus disks. I thnk that is terribly unfair; again, I went the 2nd day and they only had 3 left. I did see a sign that said the bonus disk would be only available for a couple days, and in limited quantities. So why do they so heavily advertise something that they don't have much of? I think it's very unfair for fans not to be able to get these bonus disks. These fans want everything connected with these shows; they feel like they're missing out on something if they don't get them and that just causes bad feelings all around.

With Desperate Housewives, I ordered it through Amazon, and there was no bonus disk, and no mention of one. When I got it, a friend said well why didn't you buy it at Walmart, because they had a bonus disk? And I said, um, good question...why didn't I? So now I have this bad feeling like my DH set is incomplete.

The whole concept of Bonus disks sucks.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
If Best Buy produced 1,000 of these discs, and they have 2,000 orders from their website, why don't they know that they don't have enough?

Those numbers are just made up, of course. But the point is they know how many they had produced. There was no "shipping issue with our vendor".

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That doesn't really prove anything other than that they screwed up. Screwing things up may be dumb but it isn't fraud or false advertisement. However, I'm not a lawyer so feel free to contact one if it's such a slam dunk.

And when the problem with the Prison Break disc was caught, they sent the Target bonus disc to people for free.

All that being said, I do feel bad for the people who have had problems getting these bonus DVDs and I wish all the content that the studios produced were on the one set.

Peter Raber

Stunt Coordinator
The same thing happened to me when purchasing Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier from Circuit City online. Well not the same thing. I didn't get an e-mail or a $5 gift certificate from them.

Bonus discs are a joke. I hate them with a passion. There's no reason we should be unhappy with our purchase, but because one or two stores have "bonus" discs we feel the need to scramble to those stores to get them, only to get upset when they run out or don't ship it with an online purchase. I know the point of them, but I would have no problem if I never saw another "bonus" disc offer again.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I agree that "bonus disks" are a bad idea and I blame the studios for giving one vendor an advantage over the others. It's just another attempt to subvert the free market.

By the way, when I went to BB last week, none of the Lost sets had a sticker advertising the "bonus disk." I was assured by the clerk that they all had them and were not marked. At checkout I insisted on checking for the bonus disk before they rang it up. Not surprisingly it wasn't to be found. They finally found some in the back room and set them out. Nobody came up to the checkout to tell me they had put them out, though I was standing there quite a while waiting to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks