What's new

Bones, season 4 (1 Viewer)

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

I'm with Holadem on this one, and am glad he wrote it. On a show that deals with murder, on a weekly basis, and often, very VIOLENT murders, the most sympathy in the episode is given to the dog. Not to the human who was literally, ripped apart by said dog, and left to die a slow death by bleeding out, but to the dog that was put down, a lot less painlessly.

Now, granted, the dog wasn't acting on its own volition, but on its master's, who certainly deserve our most heated scorn. But this episode does show, as Holadem bravely points out, that too often in this country people value the lives of animals just as much as people. And too often, they value animal life more than people's, and that, to me, is sad.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'll be equally as brave, a good part of the time I like animals more than I do most people.

Controversial? Probably but just letting you know where I stand on the subject.

And yes, I value the lives of animals just as much as I do people and why shouldn't I? They're alive, we're alive, they feel pain, we feel pain, should I care less about them simply because they can't speak and aren't as intelligent?

Sorry, this is a hot topic for me and one of my pet peeves in regards to how society thinks it's okay to abuse and kill animals and it doesn't matter, they're the one's who condone atrocious acts such as dog/cock fighting and I certaintly hope the one's taking Holadem's stance at least thinks those types of acts are wrong.

Dropping the subject now, apologies but I tend to get angry and I lose my ability to be objective when talking about this so it's best that I bail out until next weeks ep when we'll be, hopefully, talking about something else in this thread.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
John; If it helps, I am with you on this. But you are right that this would be a very un-welcomed subject matter here I am sure.

Back to the episode:

I don't think they were trying to imply anything by having Bones get emotional over the Dog being put down other than to show she does actually have some emotions.

I thought it showed a lot that she, while in the middle of this emotional turmoil, thought enough to tell Booth he was a good father. She is slowly getting more an more "human" as the years go by. This is a good progression. I was getting sort of tired of her complete lack of human social skills she had in the first season. I am glad she is evolving. She would never have even cared at all about the dogs in the first season.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
This issue of animal life over human life is so common all over the news as well, as though hurting/killing an animal regardless of what it did is worse than hurting/killing a person. That's how people seem to think, I suppose.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
While it was great to see Zach back again I was more than a little surprised that Booth didn't haul him right back to the nuthouse the instant he found out he escaped, it was just very unBooth-like.

How do you guys feel about the reveal that Zach didn't do it afterall? It was nice to hear but at the same time could this be a case of the show back peddling a little bit?

Personally I don't care, I would like him to come back to the team again, I miss that whole dynamic that they all had together and we got a little of back tonight.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'll take a back pedal any day. I hate-Hate-HATED the season 3 finale, and wish it never happened. If this is some faint attempt to fix that and eventually bring Millegan back, I'm all for it.

P.S.

The ANGEL/Buffy guest casting continues once again, as the 'confessed killer' (the guy who refused to touch the mud and wanted Booth to sterilize his handcuffs before using them) was the "Pee-Pee Demon" seen in season 5 of ANGEL. Once again, oddly enough in his underwear in both series.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I agree. It would be a bit of a cop-out, but I think I could live with it. I like Zach and wouldn't mind seeing him come back.

I actually think it would be fine to have him stay in the nut house but still help out on a case now and then. That would also work.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For some reason, Zach with black gloves gave him this funny look while he was looking through the photos. So they cracked the door to bring Zach back on a semi-regular basis, but I don't think they can bring him back on a regular basis, but if the writers could work out something that truly absolved Zach of his bizarre apprenticeship, perhaps he could return to the Jeffersonian. Now, does Sweets and Zach's conversation remove Sweets as a suspect who could have been working with the Master?

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I'm betting there were enough fans that were upset with season 3's finale that they've began to set the stage to have him return next season ("60% use of my hands", "I didn't stab him", etc.)

Given how easily they freed Brennan's dad (ironic that now Ryan O'Neal has now been arrested) I could see something similar in releasing Zach and exonerating him to the point where he could rejoin the team.

After watching the episode, I went back to rewatch the end of season 3, and it is a bit of a backstep. Zach never confesses anything onscreen but Caroline (A.D.), after coming out of the hospital room tells the group - "He killed the lobbyist. Stabbed him in the heart". So, I'm sure it could be explained away as her 'hearing' that while Zach never said it. I can live with a backstep like this, as I too, like the Zach character and would like to see him return.

As far as Booth not running him back in right away isn't unBooth to me. Like what he said to Sweets - "One crime at a time, right now that's murder". He knew Zach had vital information, and knew Zach isn't looking to escape, and didn't fear him being "stronger than he looks"
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
. He knew why Zach escaped and that he'd go back willingly.

For another example, just take Russ. While Booth cuffed him in his office, he allowed Russ to visit his girlfriend's daughter, taking him in afterwards. He still did his job, but he was compassionate at the same time. Pretty similar - he was busy finding the head, and allow Zach's friends time to be with him.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Besides, if he simply wanted to escape for the sake of escaping, the Jeffersonian is the last place he would go.

This episode was the first time I truly realized that Zach, despite being the 'runt' or 'baby' of the team, is a pretty big guy.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I was thinking the same thing Nicholas. It looks like he has put on a lot of weight. It might just be his cloths and hair making him look different. But I don't remember him being so "not small".

Could it be he had to bulk up for another role?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

I think they had a plan last season, since it began with Zach saying he had seen terrible things in Iraq, for him to come home and be shell shocked and lured into working for "The Master" because he lost purpose or whatever.. when the season was shortened, they couldn't cover any of that.

I wonder if they can go back and start to fill in how his world view was warped and say that with the right kind of mental help he'll be OK (that's my bet)

John_Lee

Supporting Actor

The voice made the connection for me. That, and for. . . some reason. . . I paid inordinate attention to her on IPS. Even then, it was the voice.

Oh, and she was BGOC among the travelers on The Riches.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks