What's new

Bonds hits no. 73! (1 Viewer)

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
Too bad that arrogant piece of shit broke the record. My consolation is that the Giants will likely be eliminated from playoff contention on the same night. I always loved watching Bonds bring up his stats as proof of his greatness, then watching him later pout when you bring up his pathetic playoff stats.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually, #70 and #71 came on consecutive swings (one last night, one tonight), but it wasn't on the first pitch that Bond got from Chan Ho Park, it was the 2nd or 3rd. :)
Congrats to setting the bar for home run record just a little higher for the next guy.

Ted_Cogswell

Auditioning
Say what you will about Barry Bonds' demeanor and/or playoff history- he's the best player in baseball over the last 15 years- I'm overjoyed to see him do it. Mark McGwire isn't half the player that Bonds has been, he doesn't have half the future. This record is now in the hands of a truly great player.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Good grief! Bonds just hit #72!
But Shawn Green just popped one over at the same location of Bonds' homer and Dodgers are up 9-5.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What's sort of sad is that Bonds may be sitting at home because his team is likely to miss the playoffs if they can't come back to beat the Dodgers tonight.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
his team is likely to miss the playoffs if they can't come back to beat the Dodgers tonight
Bah.
The Giants have ruined the Dodgers' seasons enough times to warrant some turnabout. :)
What's Barry have, about 3 HRs on his last 4 swings? Perhaps Houston's "walk-him-all-the-time" logic wasn't so batty afterall...
I've spent the last week cheering on my #1 team (Dodgers) as a spoiler and my #2 (Phillies) to make the playoffs. Dodgers look to be succeeding, Phils have now failed. I do hate Atlanta so.
On the good side sportswise, both the Eagles and Flyers are looking great so I expect an exciting Fall/Winter of spectatorship.
Evan
------------------
"* * * * * * * * * * * * *" - Buster Keaton
S&S: 16 films left
Most recent: Paisan

nousername

Supporting Actor
Awesome stuff! Love him or hate him, Bonds is a great baseball player.
I hope he'll hit 75 before the end of the year...

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Houston got swept.
Yes, because they played terrible. If Bonds hit a homerun for every time he walked, the Astros wouldn't have all of a sudden won those games.
My basic point was that if Bonds was going to hit a homerun every at bat he was pitched to, it was better to just put him at first instead of back in the dugout with a roundtripper.
10-10. I don't like this game. Dodgers should've wrapped it up long ago.
Evan
------------------
"* * * * * * * * * * * * *" - Buster Keaton
S&S: 16 films left
Most recent: Paisan

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I think Bonds has mellowed out a lot. He doesn't seem to have that attitude he carried a while ago. I'm just glad to see anyone take away McGuire's record. That's the guy I can't stand.
patriot.gif

------------------
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Remember I said 74 this year!!
That was only 10 days ago though :)
Brent L
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Houston got swept.
Yes, but they're in the playoffs, with a damn good shot of winning the division - they need to win 1 of their last 2. :)
As for Bonds' chase of the record, I was happy to see him do it. I have watched all of his games since Tuesday night with my suitemates, and we've all been rooting for him to break it. I even wanted to see him hit a couple in Houston - and I'm an Astros fan! I was pissed when Dierker kept having them pitch around Bonds or give him an intentional free pass. I really thought Houston would pitch to him more than that because when Dierker pitched, that's what he did. But the important thing is Bonds got the record that he deserved after such a great season. I think I smell 75, actually. Can you say M ... V ... P?
Now if only the 'Stros will finish off the Cards by winning 1 of the last 2 to avoid having to face Schilling and Johnson in a short series (and one of them twice if it goes to 5 games), it'll cap off a great week of baseball.
biggrin.gif

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Home runs have less currency these days, vis. the record books. Pitching is diluted, along with there being so many clubs and so many new, hitter-friendly ballparks.
I say it's time to go back to the pre-1968 rules: Raise the pitching mound back to fifteen inches. Get rid of the designated-hitter rule (so that both leagues will be playing the same game). And do away with interleague, regular-season play.
I maintained back in 1994 that the ball had been juiced up. Remember how, before the strike, so many offensive records were about to fall? I think the owners were play a psych game on the players, making conditions such that the players wouldn't want to strike--and to circumvent waning fan interest.
Now, it seems as if the season home-run record is being broken almost every other year. It just doesn't mean what it used to mean.
And that means Babe Ruth is still the best there ever was.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
And that means Babe Ruth is still the best there ever was.
One of the best, Yes. The best, no way. He could have been the best that ever was, but he ate and drank his way out of it. Ruth quit pitching immediately after he left for NY. His numbers are great, but his fielding percentage is lacking. His numbers indicate that he wasn't very fast even though the rumors claim he was fast in his early days. He was caught stealing almost as much as he stole. The power numbers are fantastic, but they declined over his final 8 years. If only he had continued pitching...
If you claim Ruth is the best because of the era he played in then you would have to claim Pedro Martinez is the best pitcher in history. I'm not about to do that, but he's done what he's done without the raised mound, in an era of a shrunken strike zone, against the DH, and pitched in what you call smaller ballparks.
I believe you can't just pick one player to be the best, you really are stuck having to choose the best in each era. The rules and parks will continue to change and so will the qualities needed of a great player. However, you will always be able to add about 5 from each era that are among the best ever and 15 or so others that were great players.
If you want to pick the best from the era prior to Ruth, it's got to be Cy Young 511W, 7354innings, 2.63ERA, and 749CG out of 815GS. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks