What's new

Bonanza Season 1 - some hope? (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

One thing that kept me away from buying TV for awhile was the investment required to own an entire series. As a result, I started out with just the Avenger's (Peel years) that I bought when they first came out. They don't air that often and there were only a few years so I felt it worth it.

In the last two years everything changed and I've really gotten into TV. Especially, older series I rarely was able to watch if any. Now I don't mind the investment.

I wonder if studio's find that each season of a series brings in a little less then the previous. That only the truly faithful will keep buying and at that point pull the plug. Or another option is that they keep looking for another Star Trek that will sell no matter what. So they are willing to try a season or two and if it doesn't take off they abandon it.

Another negative is that these types of series are only going to bring in so much, so they break up seasons into two volumes to get more revenue. Then you get people complaining refusing to buy like they can really change anything. Next you know it gone for good.

Personally, for older series that had more episodes per season, say 30 or so, I would buy in volumes for up to $25-$30 a volume or $50-$60 a season if they would just keep them going.

While I'm a fan of some extra's focused around interviews of critical players (which we generally do not get), if there is extra cost attributed to these so called fancy boxes, I'd rather they skip them. Just give basic containers that don't damage the disks to minimize cost to get them out.

S

silverking

I have all 7 of the German sets & can vouch for the picture quality & the fact they are uncut. It seems it has joined the 'abandoned' list in Germany now though & I would be surprised if US releases got as far as S7.A lot of the more dedicated US fans purchased the German sets & may not be inclined to double dip, whilst many S1 & 2 episodes are out in PD for the casual fan.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I noticed that the marketing of rawhide focused on Clint Eastwood being in the series when in fact Erik Fleming was the star. I also believe that Eastwood left after season 5 so there is hope for some more Rawhide IMHO.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

I'm not sure the logic here of why that would mean more Rawhide. But according to IMDB you're in error. It was Fleming that left before the last season. Eastwood was in it to the end.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
I know I'm definitely in the minority here...but I 'd be happy with a release of the best episodes from the Adam Cartwright era as I recollect would amount to about 25 episodes or about one season's worth.

Jim B.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Yes they are, I think Mark Heyes' new age synthesizer symphonys will really improve the show, who needs the old outdated Bonanza music.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I think we know what you were saying, Henry :laugh:

Excepting for the Fugitve and the MTS music issues, imo, CBS/P has been consistant with getting some quality classic TV/DVD releases out there, better than most of the other majors.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Jeff, just had to say I love the quote you added to your signature from "See Hollywood and Die". One of the best lines in the entire series, IMHO.

Gary "that really brought a smile to my face today" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack

I'd concur with that, to the degree that I would like to see S1 *and* a best of set covering all 14 seasons similar to the two "Gunsmoke" sets. One reason why I, as a casual fan of "Gunsmoke" who was just introduced to the show on DVD am not quite as upset over the fact that it looks to be stalled after S3 is that at least thanks to the two best of sets, there's at least one episode of every season of its run on DVD and that's enough to give the casual fan at least a "flavor" of the show's entire run and "Bonanza" with its length (especially if it doesn't get a full season release) could use the same for those of us who aren't fans of it, but would like to get introduced to it.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

Yeah--the hell with all these #1 rated, beloved and nostalgic tv shows like Hillbillies and Bonanza!!

Anyway--have we reached the end of the world? Who said that Rawhide was done on dvd for good?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Thanks :D I was wondering if anyone would see that addition. Janssen had the perfect delivery for those kind of comebacks in the Fugitive.

As for Bonanza, I haven't seen any of these since maybe sometime in the 70's in syndication. Hope it gets here soon.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Jeff, "Bonanza" has had an official Region 1 release back in 2003, but it was a 2-dvd, 8-episode "best of" release from Artisan who had the rights at the time. Amazon still carries it.

Amazon.com: The Best of Bonanza, Vol. 1: Lewis Allen, William F. Claxton, Nicholas Colasanto, Robert L. Friend, Alvin Ganzer, Robert Gordon, Charles F. Haas, Lee H. Katzin, Gerald Mayer, Don McDougall, Dick Moder, Irving J. Moore, Arthur H. Nadel, Ja

Other than that, you're pretty much limited to 31 public domain episodes from seasons 1 & 2 that have been issued on dozens of labels, most missing the classic opening/closing theme music. Mill Creek collected them all in a single set and you can often find this in Wal-Mart's $5.00 bin if you need a "quick fix" 'til the real thing comes.

Mill Creek Details Page

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

But why are you happy for them chances are Bonanza Will be abandoned after the 3rd season as well, and more than likely Paramount will offer them in split seasons.. C'mon Paramount if you don't want to offer them then license them out. I'm sure Shout or BCI would snatch up Rawhide and Gunsmoke.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I'm afraid that BCI won't be snatching up anything . . . unfortunately, they are out of business.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks