What's new

BONANZA! at last!!!! (1 Viewer)

Executive

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Margulis
The all-time great BONANZA comedy? I'd have to call it a draw between "Ponderosa Explosion" (Hoss and Joe raise rabbits.),
and from the 13th season "The Younger Brothers' Younger Brother", in which Hoss teams up with the Younger gang after they escape from prison!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
How about the one where Hoss has spring fever? And he has to keep taking his medicine until it passes, which makes him half-asleep.

Or the one where Little Joe is caught up reading detective novels, and starts telling people that he suspects a person in town is a crook. Great ending scene where Hoss and Joe start crying, after they realize they've just slugged their Paw, when the lights went off.

Or the one where Hoss was dressed up as an Easter Rabbit.

Bonanza worked better as a comedy than a drama.

James

Executive

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Margulis
Or the one where Hoss was dressed up as an Easter Rabbit.
That would be "Caution: Easter Bunny Crossing", which is from early 1970 during the 11th Season.

That has the distinction of being the only BONANZA episode to be syndicated both with the original batch of episodes in the early 1970s
and with "The Lost Episodes" in 1988.

Since that time that unnecessary subtitle "The Lost Episodes" was removed from the second group of episodes fortunately.
The downside is that second syndication package is very hard to find now. It was last seen in the early 2000s with the customary 5 or 6 minutes
edited out for The Hallmark Channel. At least the defunct CBN Cable had them uncut in the late 1980s / early 90s.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P /t/288568/bonanza-at-last/60#post_3917251
It's CBS/Paramount, not Universal you should be thanking.
Yea, but it's a color show so you knew it had a fighting chance with CBS. Now if Bonanza had been in b/w...

Gary "no offense to Bonanza fans, but I want to see more HGWT, Rawhide, and Gunsmoke released" O.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Why the odd division of the episodes? Are episodes 17 and 18 a two part storyline they didn't want to split up?

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Gary OS said:
     Quote:
Yea, but it's a color show so you knew it had a fighting chance with CBS.  Now if Bonanza had been in b/w...  :rolleyes:
Gary "no offense to Bonanza fans, but I want to see more HGWT, Rawhide, and Gunsmoke released" O.
I wonder if they've done any restoration or remastering work on Season 3. It didn't seem like they did for season 2.
I also would rather see HGWT, Rawhide and Gunsmoke released over Bonanza. Gunsmoke has 9 seasons in color. I wonder if they'd ever skip the rest of the BW episodes and do some color seasons.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I have the two previous releases and will be getting this too but I'd also so much rather have the last season of HGWT, please Paramount, one season left. One thing to probably take into account with that show though, is that if they're subtitling episodes this takes an awful long time to do as well I'd imagine. Just keeping in mind one of the different reasons stalls and delays for titles can have.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Vol 2 of Season 2 looked a little better than vol 1. These upisodes should look glorious on even Standard DVD if they were restored, the colors should leap off the screen and hit you in the face, not bleed and weep off the screen.
As far as Rawhide Watched about half of Season 5 off of the Western Channel before I Cut the Cord with Cable, and that season was still pretty darn good, I wish we'd get a next release for Rawhide out of CBS

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
What a deal! Amazon just credited me $9 after the price of Bonanza season 5 1-2 dropped from $56 to $47 -- and the previous four editions followed. That's a pretty decent buy for something that's got some choice extras and tonne of episodes.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Season 8 coming June 2!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UITXJZQ/ref=pd_luc_rh_sim_02_04_t_ttl_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A1Fgn5nIeML._SL1500_.jpg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
A fan made Bonanza trailer for the first season of Bonanza. The music is over the top, but this fan seems to know and really like the show:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Executive said:
Or the one where Hoss was dressed up as an Easter Rabbit. That would be "Caution: Easter Bunny Crossing", which is from early 1970 during the 11th Season. That has the distinction of being the only BONANZA episode to be syndicated both with the original batch of episodes in the early 1970s and with "The Lost Episodes" in 1988. Since that time that unnecessary subtitle "The Lost Episodes" was removed from the second group of episodes fortunately. The downside is that second syndication package is very hard to find now. It was last seen in the early 2000s with the customary 5 or 6 minutes edited out for The Hallmark Channel. At least the defunct CBN Cable had them uncut in the late 1980s / early 90s.
Encore Western was showing them unedited as of a couple of years ago. I was DVR'ing the episodes but something fouled up and they didn't record right. Now I believe the syndication bible is showing them unavailable.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I saw Bonanza Season 8 V1 and V2 at my local Walmart today - $19.96 per volume. Interestingly, I saw Amazon has the Season 8 pack at $38.98. Maybe they finally figured out they were being undercut by Walmart.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Season 8 has a good Christmas episode so I'm glad to see this released. However I am currently only on Season 5.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
It was announced on Tuesday of this week that David Canary who played Candy Canaday in Bonanza, starting in Season 9, had passed away on November 16. I'm thinking that he was the last regular star of the series to have been alive. May he rest in peace.

candypic.JPG

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
I never did care for Bonanza. It was too "studio set bound", even in the outdoor scenes. I think the only reason my folks watched it was because we had just purchased a color TV and it was one of the 7 or so shows being broadcast in color at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks