BONANZA! at last!!!!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MattPeriolat, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Executive

Executive Stunt Coordinator

The all-time great BONANZA comedy? I'd have to call it a draw between "Ponderosa Explosion" (Hoss and Joe raise rabbits.),
    and from the 13th season "The Younger Brothers' Younger Brother", in which Hoss teams up with the Younger gang after they escape from prison!

2. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

How about the one where Hoss has spring fever? And he has to keep taking his medicine until it passes, which makes him half-asleep.

Or the one where Little Joe is caught up reading detective novels, and starts telling people that he suspects a person in town is a crook. Great ending scene where Hoss and Joe start crying, after they realize they've just slugged their Paw, when the lights went off.

Or the one where Hoss was dressed up as an Easter Rabbit.

Bonanza worked better as a comedy than a drama.

James

3. Executive

Executive Stunt Coordinator

That would be "Caution: Easter Bunny Crossing", which is from early 1970 during the 11th Season.

That has the distinction of being the only BONANZA episode to be syndicated both with the original batch of episodes in the early 1970s
    and with "The Lost Episodes" in 1988.

Since that time that unnecessary subtitle "The Lost Episodes" was removed from the second group of episodes fortunately.
    The downside is that second syndication package is very hard to find now. It was last seen in the early 2000s with the customary 5 or 6 minutes
    edited out for The Hallmark Channel. At least the defunct CBN Cable had them uncut in the late 1980s / early 90s.

4. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
  5. shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy Second Unit

dan olson
  6. Jack P

Jack P Producer

It's CBS/Paramount, not Universal you should be thanking.

7. shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy Second Unit

dan olson
    You are correct sir. Credit to CBS/Paramount for more Hoss, Little Joe, Adam, Pa and Hop Sing!

Ron1973 likes this.
  8. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Quote:

Yea, but it's a color show so you knew it had a fighting chance with CBS. Now if Bonanza had been in b/w...

Gary "no offense to Bonanza fans, but I want to see more HGWT, Rawhide, and Gunsmoke released" O.

9. LeoA

LeoA Screenwriter

Leo
    Why the odd division of the episodes? Are episodes 17 and 18 a two part storyline they didn't want to split up?

10. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    I wonder if they've done any restoration or remastering work on Season 3. It didn't seem like they did for season 2.
    I also would rather see HGWT, Rawhide and Gunsmoke released over Bonanza. Gunsmoke has 9 seasons in color. I wonder if they'd ever skip the rest of the BW episodes and do some color seasons.

11. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    I have the two previous releases and will be getting this too but I'd also so much rather have the last season of HGWT, please Paramount, one season left. One thing to probably take into account with that show though, is that if they're subtitling episodes this takes an awful long time to do as well I'd imagine. Just keeping in mind one of the different reasons stalls and delays for titles can have.

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Vol 2 of Season 2 looked a little better than vol 1. These upisodes should look glorious on even Standard DVD if they were restored, the colors should leap off the screen and hit you in the face, not bleed and weep off the screen.
    As far as Rawhide Watched about half of Season 5 off of the Western Channel before I Cut the Cord with Cable, and that season was still pretty darn good, I wish we'd get a next release for Rawhide out of CBS

13. shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy Second Unit

dan olson
    What a deal! Amazon just credited me $9 after the price of Bonanza season 5 1-2 dropped from $56 to $47 -- and the previous four editions followed. That's a pretty decent buy for something that's got some choice extras and tonne of episodes.

bmasters9 likes this.
  14. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

15. benbess

benbess Cinematographer

Ben Hufbauer
    A fan made Bonanza trailer for the first season of Bonanza. The music is over the top, but this fan seems to know and really like the show:

16. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Encore Western was showing them unedited as of a couple of years ago. I was DVR'ing the episodes but something fouled up and they didn't record right. Now I believe the syndication bible is showing them unavailable.

17. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    I saw Bonanza Season 8 V1 and V2 at my local Walmart today - $19.96 per volume. Interestingly, I saw Amazon has the Season 8 pack at $38.98. Maybe they finally figured out they were being undercut by Walmart.

WadeM and Flashgear like this.
  18. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Season 8 has a good Christmas episode so I'm glad to see this released. However I am currently only on Season 5.

19. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

It was announced on Tuesday of this week that David Canary who played Candy Canaday in Bonanza, starting in Season 9, had passed away on November 16. I'm thinking that he was the last regular star of the series to have been alive. May he rest in peace.

[​IMG]

Flashgear likes this.
  20. disctrip

disctrip Stunt Coordinator

hank freitas
    I never did care for Bonanza. It was too "studio set bound", even in the outdoor scenes. I think the only reason my folks watched it was because we had just purchased a color TV and it was one of the 7 or so shows being broadcast in color at the time.