What's new

BONANZA! at last!!!! (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love Maverick as well. Plus more Cheyenne, Sugarfoot and Bronco. Westerns don't get released too often, unless by an independent like Timeless.
I couldn't wait for Cheyenne any longer so I decided to get them off of the Encore Western channel. In fact, it was just last week that I got the last episode off the DVR. While I was at it I got all the seasons of Maverick as well. Now I just wish they would either release the Rifleman or put it back on Encore so I can get it to.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I am seriously thinking of upgrading my cable service to get Encore Western channel just to get Maverick.

Not really tech savy but my understanding I could record via DVR and then burn my own DVD's. Is that correct??????

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am seriously thinking of upgrading my cable service to get Encore Western channel just to get Maverick.
Not really tech savy but my understanding I could record via DVR and then burn my own DVD's. Is that correct??????
There are multiple ways to accomplish it. The easiest is probably getting a DVD recorder and attaching the s-video output from the DVR to the DVD recorder and play/record. Another is to use a video capture card/device that you attach between your computer and DVR then play it from the DVR while you record it to your computer. Once on the computer you can do you what you want to edit it if need be and use any of many programs to convert the video file to the DVD format and burn it.
The three techniques to probably avoid are:
1.) trying to extract the files from the DVR drive directly, not going to happen very easily (if at all) since it uses a proprietary format.
2) feeding it straight from the DVR to the computer with no capture device (possible but I could only get it to work if I saved it real time and not from a recorded show).
3) using a TV tuner card in your computer to capture it straight from cable (acts like a DVR). Only problem is that it has to be unprotected content, and in my case all digital channels are protected (typically anything that would cost extra is protected).
I personally use a DVD Xpress DV2 device attached to an extra laptop I have to capture from the DVR.
I really wanted the Rifleman but I missed my opportunity but Cheyenne and Maverick aren't a bad substitute. Now I'm waiting for them to switch to a new set of shows. Maybe Big Valley.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Hopefully Maverick won't end up being on the Warner Archives at an exhorbitant price. I've recorded many of them on my DVR from Encore Westerns, but I can't capture them to my computer via firewire because they are flagged "copy once" and it won't work. It would also be quite tedious to do so many episodes that way. Some good old-fashioned reasonably priced DVD season box sets sure would be the ticket.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Re: Bonanza. I watched the show all the time as a young kid and remember a lot of it, but I'm not an expert on it. However, I know the theme music. I was checking the DVD product listing at Amazon. They have links on that page for Amazon On Demand versions you can download at $2 a pop, but only one is currently available, S1, Ep. 29. They have a free preview of that one which I watched. It ends with the opening credits and I surely don't recognize the music. But I'm not certain they used the theme I know so well for all seasons. Is this an indication of what's actually on the new DVD set, or is that like one of the PD versions with music replacements.

Thanks for the screen caps Brent. Granted they're small, but they look good so far.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by GlennH /forum/thread/288568/bonanza-at-last/30#post_3603948
Re: Bonanza. I watched the show all the time as a young kid and remember a lot of it, but I'm not an expert on it. However, I know the theme music. I was checking the DVD product listing at Amazon. They have links on that page for Amazon On Demand versions you can download at $2 a pop, but only one is currently available, S1, Ep. 29. They have a free preview of that one which I watched. It ends with the opening credits and I surely don't recognize the music. But I'm not certain they used the theme I know so well for all seasons. Is this an indication of what's actually on the new DVD set, or is that like one of the PD versions with music replacements.
I'm sure that download must be from one of the PD versions--but Amazon isn't doing the CBS/Paramount version any favors by representing it this way...

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by GlennH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully Maverick won't end up being on the Warner Archives at an exhorbitant price. I've recorded many of them on my DVR from Encore Westerns, but I can't capture them to my computer via firewire because they are flagged "copy once" and it won't work. It would also be quite tedious to do so many episodes that way. Some good old-fashioned reasonably priced DVD season box sets sure would be the ticket.
I first tried the firewire approach but as you say they are protected so you must do it when the show is actually playing real-time from the cable schedule and not after it has been saved to the DVR for it to work. That is why I finally went with the analog video capture device which allows me to replay it from the DVR to the computer anytime. The only issue is that it is being converted from digital to analog to do this.
But, I heartily agree, I would much rather just buy the thing on DVD then go this approach. However, the shows I am really trying to get have either stalled on DVD with few seasons released or may never get released at this rate. Since they have to be resaved to the computer in real-time, I will usually do a bunch on the weekend, if I am home, and capture all the saved airings from that week. It just requires a few minutes to setup an episodes and every hour or so I go queue up another. To get all of Cheyenne and Maverick took a few months (June - September). Not the best use of time, but for a show you really want it can be worth it.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
The screencaps look awesome. But then, the episodes have always looked pristine on television, also. Bonanza appears to have kept very well over the years.

This show aired all over the world, as I recall. I remember seeing a scene of it where Hoss was speaking Japanese. It was a hoot!

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I stopped at a local Walmart and this release was nowhere to be found. I thought a show as popular as Bonanza was would be carried at Walmart. They have all those cheap Public Domain Bonanzas. But NOOOOOO it was not there. When I asked the sales person, they said if it is not there, we won't be carrying it. Unbelievable.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, I ordered my copy just now because my holdout price of $35 for the entire 1st Season materialized at B&N. As a member there they had my price today as being only $45, but I also knew of a stackable coupon that would take off an additional $10 so the final price came in right at $35. So I'm happy. I wasn't going to budge off that price and to be honest I thought I'd be waiting till at least November/December before I'd have any shot of finding it discounted that much - but it happened today so hopefully I'll have my set by the early part of next week.

Gary "gotta be extra careful with my money nowadays - I'm bargain shopping now more than ever" O.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I stopped at a local Walmart and this release was nowhere to be found. I thought a show as popular as Bonanza was would be carried at Walmart. They have all those cheap Public Domain Bonanzas. But NOOOOOO it was not there. When I asked the sales person, they said if it is not there, we won't be carrying it. Unbelievable.
This doesn't surprise me. Stores nowadays are loathe to carry anything more than 5 years old. The other day I was searching for some of the later seasons of Frasier and they aren't carrying those anymore, either. I suppose there's such a glut of new shows coming out on DVD there isn't room in brick and mortar stores to carry them all. They really should devote a portion of their stores to classic shows, though. I honestly believe ones like Bonanza would sell very well.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Wal-Mart may not be stocking it, but Sam's Club certainly is, about $27 a set.
Gary, how did you get those stackable coupons to work? I'd love to grab S1 at that price.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker /forum/thread/288568/bonanza-at-last/30#post_3606785
Gary, how did you get those stackable coupons to work? I'd love to grab S1 at that price.
Well, first of all you need to be a B&N member, because you get an additional 10% off whatever price B&N is selling a set for on a given day (they change their discounted price each day). Today, they were offering a 30% off discount, then I got the additional 10% off discount for being a member and that's why my starting price was only going to be $45 (I'm rounding up - it was actually only $44 and change). Then, there were $5.00 coupons that were stackable. One can be used if you buy a dvd that costs over $20, and the other one works if your order is over $50 total. Since I had a cd sitting in my wish list that I have wanted for a while I placed that in the shopping cart with the Bonanza set and that allowed me to stack two $5 coupons together. Thus my final price on the Bonanza set ended up only being $35.
Gary "I was really pleased to get it at that price so soon after it was released" O.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Thanks, Gary. I knew there was a trick to it. Once I added a CD to the cart, I got $15 off the total ($5 on the DVD, $5 on the CD and $5 on the order.)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker /forum/thread/288568/bonanza-at-last/30#post_3606934
Thanks, Gary. I knew there was a trick to it. Once I added a CD to the cart, I got $15 off the total ($5 on the DVD, $5 on the CD and $5 on the order.)
You're right about the CD too. I forgot about that also being $5 off, but when I just checked my order that was reflected as well. So yes, it was a $15.00 off bonus!
Gary "definitely the best early deal I could find on the 'net for this set" O.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Gary. With B&N same day shipping in NYC, I ordered this morning and just received my set. Not bad for free shipping. Its the 2 half season sets shrink wrapped together marked Full-Length Episodes With Original Music . Finally, The Real Deal.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Garysb /forum/thread/288568/bonanza-at-last/30#post_3607374
Thanks Gary. With B&N same day shipping in NYC, I ordered this morning and just received my set. Not bad for free shipping. Its the 2 half season sets shrink wrapped together marked Full-Length Episodes With Original Music . Finally, The Real Deal.
Good for you, Gary. Living in Florida I've learned to live with the fact that it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 days for my B&N purchases to arrive at my door. But for that price I'm fine with waiting.
Gary "looking forward to watching these episodes" O.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker /forum/thread/288568/bonanza-at-last/30#post_3607380
Did the set also come with the band around it like in the picture?
Yes

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
One thing I noticed on the back of the sets is that Bonanza is copyrighted by NBC/Universal. So how did this end up with CBS/Paramount?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks