What's new

BOETTICHER/SCOTT SET (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Never? Ever?

I suppose that makes this a safe buy now though the news is quite bittersweet (more on the bitter side).

I hope they (Sony) are being completely forthcoming with you Ron.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Interesting artwork! I'm surprised at how much they played down Randolph Scott's part in these films without a single mention of his name on the front of the box.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
What is this series The Collector's Choice ?
Are any other sets planned for this series ?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

That design would look better suited for some Spike Jonze compilation, or a better word to describe it: YECH!

That box is truly horrible looking; is that the best these bozos could come up with??

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
It looks similar to their Frank Capra and Stanley Kramer boxes. Doesn't make it good though. I'm surprised they didn't mention Randolph Scott. He has to be more familiar to the public than Budd Boetticher. Though, these days, not by much.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Even calling it The Westerns of Budd Boetticher would be more descriptive, and might actually cause casual Western fans to pick the box up off the store shelf for a look. Right now, there's very little on the packaging that points out that this is a series of important Westerns.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
A great looking set of posters. New film posters are so boring now, it seems like a lost art. It looks like Sony aren't that good at cover art. You could say these sets are for collectors who know what they want, but any one of those great old posters on the box would have reeled in a few more customers.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Actually, it strikes me as more reminiscent of Warner's Peckinpah set. The picture of Boetticher at the camera is almost identical to the one of Peckinpah.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Except with no sense of design aesthetic or understanding of the films included in the box. The ridiculous lens flares, the photoshopped movie stills with faux-style overexposure, sleek and sterile fonts & colors and frivolous cluttering of unrelated names boasting... introductions? huh, who cares? Clearly whoever was hired to design this package should stick to webpages and stay as far away from classic movies.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Yeah, it has that "let's bleach everything one colour" thing going on with the blue.

Oh, and the Futura font, so it is like the credits of a Wes Anderson or late Stanley Kubrick film.

At the very least it should've said WESTERNS somewhere on there.

I'd say this is better than the Martini Movies cover art, but it would've been better if they adapted some original cover art. Do they really think they are going to 'fool' a few customers into thinking these films were made in the last 10 years?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Can anybody tell me if that Boetticher documentary that Turner Classic Movies showed last year is available on dvd? The name of the documentary is “A Man Can Do It”.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks