Body of Proof - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Walter C /t/310280/body-of-proof-season-1/60#post_3936008
I guess that does not bode well for Peter.

I thought if someone was going to get cut, it would be Ethan and the other guy played by the Miller Lite guy, as I found those characters very expendable.
Right, they could've cut the comic relief instead of the actors playing the investigators.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
I think the show is doomed.  They just let go three of my favorite characters so it won't be the same show to me as the dynamics have changed.  Why is Jerri Ryan essential to the show?  I rather let her go for budgetary reasons than the actors playing the investigators.
Jerry Ryan could easily have left and not been missed. The dorky lab guy also wasn't needed. Noticed they dropped Jeffrey Nordling very early in the season. Small part, but probably the beginning of the cutbacks.
They got rid of the wrong people and this show will be a skeleton of what it used to be. Doesn't look good and I think doomed is the right word for its future.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
I thought if someone was going to get cut, it would be Ethan and the other guy played by the Miller Lite guy, as I found those characters very expendable.
I love the Miller Lite guy; he's my favorite character after Bud: a fair share of personal failings, but he's very competent at his job.
I agree with both Robert and Stan: other than bringing the hot factor, Jeri Ryan's character was easily the most expendable character on the show. I would also argue that the show never quite knew what to do with the Peter character. Initially he seemed to be introduced as a potential love interest, and then his role seemed to be to nag her about her personal life while dating a MUCH younger woman.
In my opinion, they could have dumped the chief, Ethan, and Peter without affecting my interest one iota, but I'll really miss Bud and his partner.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
They got rid of those people but kept the boobs in the Lab?
I really wish they would release China Beach on DVD so people could see how good an Actress Dana Delaney actually is.
She is wasted here.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Mikel_Cooperman said:
They got rid of those people but kept the boobs in the Lab?
I really wish they would release China Beach on DVD so people could see how good an Actress Dana Delaney actually is.
She is wasted here.
I feel the characters they got rid of are completely the opposite of the ones I would have lost. They're losing good characters who move the story along, yet keeping the deadwood.
Guess that's why I don't work for a network. But who knows, maybe a trimmed down cast will result in better shows, possibly extending the season, maybe even going to a fourth season. Extremely doubtful, but I can always hope.
I'm just glad TV by the Numbers got it wrong. I always had good feelings for this show and am glad they were wrong. It annoyed me because every time I looked at their site, Body of Proof was listed as guaranteed to be cancelled. Just shows the data, horse related or not doesn't always predict the results expected.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've never watched this, but it sounds like a repeat of what they did to Breaking In (and, to a lesser extent, Human Target). It's a sad day when everyone be calling for the firing of Jeri Ryan. She should join the cast of some show I watch. :)
But, like Breaking In, it sounds like another show everyone expected to be canceled, and it turns out it would have been a mercy if they had done. See also: Smash, which I'm betting NBC regrets early renewing (then again, not like they are healthy in any case).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't have issues with Jeri Ryan in the show. I began to warm up to her character after she and Megan started to get along. And I'm glad she's not dating Megan's ex, which wasn't necessary drama.
It appears from the removal of the police characters, the series is being revamped to probably focus on the medical aspects of crime solving only.
I agree, the removal of the police characters is a harmful change and a shame they decided to eliminate them. I guess the romantic angle between the leads didn't happen. And too bad for Peter that Dani was killed. I liked her character and the conflict she caused with Ethan.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
I don't have issues with Jeri Ryan in the show. I began to warm up to her character after she and Megan started to get along. And I'm glad she's not dating Megan's ex, which wasn't necessary drama.
I don't have issues with Jeri Ryan, and I don't think anybody else here does either. It's just if a character had to go, her character's probably tied with Ethan for contributing the least.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/310280/body-of-proof-season-1/60#post_3936283
I don't have issues with Jeri Ryan, and I don't think anybody else here does either. It's just if a character had to go, her character's probably tied with Ethan for contributing the least.
Thank you as that's exactly what I'm saying and I think a few others agree with us. I was fine with the cast remaining the same.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam and Robert, I usually agree with your comments, but the Jeri Ryan character came across as simply an administrative bitch, no loss at all for her to leave. The big black guy who replaced her as head of the lab is great (sorry if that sounds rude but I don't know his name), love his attitude and delivery. Jeri Ryan could have vanished and never have been missed.
The whole show seemed to have to many actors. Many scenes seemed writen just to give a few of the actors with smaller parts something to do, so won't miss that part. It's almost as if each actor was given "X" amount of lines and had to say them somewhere, no matter how lame the scene was, just shove the dialogue in and get it over with.
Nicholas Bishop is the only one I'll miss, but I still feel as mentioned above the show is doomed, simply there to fill space until it's over.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, apparently Stan has issues with Jeri Ryan!:)
I do agree that the Miller Lite guy made a more interesting boss than Ryan's character.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
No issues with Jeri Ryan :D, just think if the role were even necessary it could be played by a much better actress. Just doesn't fit her.
At least we have a new "partial season" to look forward to. Doesn't sound promising, but I'll give it a chance.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Apparently, Mark Valley formerly of Human Target is joining the cast as a detective and as a former boyfriend of Megan's. I didn't like the cast reductions, but I do like Valley so hopefully he and Delaney will develop some good chemistry together. I believed they played brother and sister on a former show some years ago.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
So if Apollo is coming back, he and Mark Valley presumably could be rivals.
Why get rid of the original detectives and get Mark Valley? I guess they are trying to make sparks fly when Dana Delany clashes with the new detective that weren't happening before.
But the fired cop was comforting Dana Delany at the end of the season finale as I recall. I guess he just disappears.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Mark Valley could be a good addition to this show. They did dump some really good actors yet kept others (probably cheaper), but he might work out well interacting with Dana Delaney.
Short season, but way to many characters in the past. Maybe in this leaner version it might get better ratings. Always enjoyed the episodes, but just way to many people for an ensemble show like this.
Unlike "Bones" with five major characters, rotating interns and recurring roles like Ryan O'Neal and the fantastic Patricia Belcher, "Body of Proof" had seven (if I'm correct) regulars who had to appear in every episode. Sometimes it just seemed like scenes and diaglogue were set up so everybody would get some screen time.
Hope they do well and aren't just filler material for other shows. Who knows, fourth season or more possible.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
But the fired cop was comforting Dana Delany at the end of the season finale as I recall. I guess he just disappears.
The actors who played both cops -- John Carroll Lynch and Sonja Sohn -- have been dumped from the cast, so my guess is that Bud and Samantha are still partners (now offscreen) and are simply working with other M.E.s.
They were let go to make room for a new pair of detectives: "Detective Tommy Sullivan, a former NYPD detective who has a romantic history with Megan (Dana Delaney) -- twenty years ago, they broke up after she caught him cheating on her. Now he's back in her life, and looking to prove that he can be trusted... despite his charming, cocky swagger" and "Detective Adam Schaeffer, a young, newly minted detective, who joined the police force as an act of rebellion against his high-powered defense attorney dad. He's smart, and having grown up in Philadelphia, is a bit overconfident -- which is a real pain in the butt for Tommy, his new partner"

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
The actors who played both cops -- John Carroll Lynch and Sonja Sohn -- have been dumped from the cast, so my guess is that Bud and Samantha are still partners (now offscreen) and are simply working with other M.E.s.
They were let go to make room for a new pair of detectives: "Detective Tommy Sullivan, a former NYPD detective who has a romantic history with Megan (Dana Delaney) -- twenty years ago, they broke up after she caught him cheating on her. Now he's back in her life, and looking to prove that he can be trusted... despite his charming, cocky swagger" and "Detective Adam Schaeffer, a young, newly minted detective, who joined the police force as an act of rebellion against his high-powered defense attorney dad. He's smart, and having grown up in Philadelphia, is a bit overconfident -- which is a real pain in the butt for Tommy, his new partner"
Still could have kept Nicholas Bishop, maybe made him Delaney's "love interest". They had good chemistry and he'll be missed.
Adding new characters doesn't really solve the problem, which was too many people and to many little side stories in each episode. With her ex-husband out of the picture, maybe they'll drop the whiny daughter bit and stick to the basics. Oh well, guess we wait and see.
I enjoyed the show, just needed a little tweaking. Not sure they made it any better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Stan /t/310280/body-of-proof-season-1/90#post_3977448
Still could have kept Nicholas Bishop, maybe made him Delaney's "love interest". They had good chemistry and he'll be missed.
Adding new characters doesn't really solve the problem, which was too many people and to many little side stories in each episode. With her ex-husband out of the picture, maybe they'll drop the whiny daughter bit and stick to the basics. Oh well, guess we wait and see.
I enjoyed the show, just needed a little tweaking. Not sure they made it any better.
Obviously, Valley was brought in to be a possible love interest for Delaney.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks