What's new

Bob Newhart Season 3??? (1 Viewer)

DanMel

Second Unit
No announcements have been made for this yet. I would think if it gets released, it would be in April as there were six months between season 1 and season 2. Season 2 was annunced in July and released in October so Season 3 could be announced sometime in January for an April release.

Likewise, I'm also hoping that Bewiched Season 3 is announced next month for an April release as season 2 of that show came out in October as well.

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator

I'm hoping Season 3 is announced soon. I bought Seasons 1 and 2 upon release and am very pleased with them. Even though they are double-sided, credit is due for selling full seasons (with commentaries on Season 2) for $29.99. On sale, that comes to about one dollar per episode for a great show which hasn't aired on TVLand in years, and only then in edited form. Hopefully, they are selling well.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Would also like to get the next season of this show. Great memories from when this show aired back-to-back with MTM on Saturday night.

Have enjoyed the first two sets and am hoping for number 3 sometime soon.

Mike*SC

Second Unit
Hooray! I've been enjoying the hell out of this show, and now I can watch the last disc of season two knowing there are more on the way. The characters on this show are so funny and appealing, and the sensibility so hilariously deadpan, it can easily survive the occasional weak joke or episode without bothering me one bit. Keep 'em coming!

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Here are the special features for season 3:

- Commentary on "The Battle of the Groups" by Bob Newhart and Peter Bonerz
- Commentary on "Sorry, Wrong Mother" by Bob Newhart and Peter Bonerz
- Commentary on "Tobin's Back in Town" by Bob Newhart and Fred Willard
- Commentary on "The Way We Weren't" by Bob Newhart and James Burrows
- Commentary on "The Ceiling Hits Bob" by Bob Newhart
- Featurette: "Season 3: Finding Their Groove" (video interview with Bob Newhart)

Is this the first time legendary TV director Burrows has done an audio commentary? I think it might be.

Anyway, it's great to see Newhart so involved in the DVD releases of his show, and hopefully he will do the same for his second show, "Newhart," when the time comes.

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator
Good news on the extras, although even without them, full episodes of this classic, at a great price, would still be a nice value. I have this pre-ordered from amazon and now have a wait of (hopefully) less than 2 weeks. Some of the Season Two commentaries, though, strangely repeated stories from the "Making of" feature on the same set, i.e., it was as if those participating did not realize that the feature and the commentaries would be on the same set.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I'm looking forward to this too. This series is holding up VERY well with time IMO.

I watched out of order, bought S1 after S2 as usually S2's are better material... I thought the PQ/SQ of S2 was abysmal, and S1 was much better. Hopefully the S1 to S2 PQ/SQ degradation is not a TREND. I'll get S3 anyway, but will have to think about it if it gets any worse.

MattHR

Screenwriter

That figures. I haven't even opened my S2 yet -- and I thought S1 was abysmal! S1 is by far the worst looking film-based show I own on DVD -- and you're saying S2 looks worse? Now I'm really worried about S3...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Well, there's just no comparison between the pic of BNS and MTM of the same vintage on DVD. The BNS is well known for its awful sound, even originally, many rate it the worst.

The last time I saw the BNS before DVD it was NEW, and my HT system then didn't show up the bad sound so much... But IMO The BNS S2 DVD's are barely tolerable. A shame with such excellent content. Just my opinion, but sounds like we're on the same page...:D

Edit: it's the incosistency in S2 that is really annoying to me while viewing. Within a single episode, we can go from acceptable PQ to artifacty garbage, and from clean sound to incredibly muffled and/or hissy sound.

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator
The last time I saw the BNS on TV Land, it looked awful. I mean, really, really, totally awful. Like, maybe one of the worst looking things I've ever seen on TV bad. If the prints being shown on television were the best that Fox had to work with in making these DVDs, they are heroes for making it look as good as it does. I'm a big fan of Bob Newhart and this show, and I think it looks just fine - and considering how bad this show looked in recent syndication, I'm loving these DVDs.

Dan P

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Well, I would buy this show despite PQ. The jokes and situations are so good, it's the content of this series that's great, and I would give PQ a backseat. Those of you who will not buy this set because it does not look good, fine. But if you pass up Seasons 3 and 4, you don't know know what you're missing. if you like S1 and S2, the best is yet to come in S3 and S4, IMO.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

I totally agree with you, Anthony. It is one of my all-time favorite sitcoms, along with Mary Tyler Moore, and won't pass this series up. It might be the only chance to get this series on DVD.

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

I LOVED TBNS and was thrilled with the first two Seasons on DVD. Picture quality is average, but at least Fox didn't have to resort to back up 16mm prints like Paramount did with The Brady Bunch to get uncut episodes.

Maybe you can help here. I was looking for restored scenes on the BNS DVD's, which run about 25 minutes and are presumed to be uncut. But I couldn't remember anything major that was cut out in either the syndicated or TV Land versions of the show when I compared it to the DVD's. TV Land would appear to maybe cut out a line or two from TBNS, but nothing major like I have seen them do with other shows. Perhaps they did more time-compressing of TBNS than editing of TBNS on TV Land.

Picture quality of TBNS always looked average, but not in any way terrible to me, so if that is how the original negatives were for the DVD restorations, I think FOX did the best they could do with this project. I am just looking forward to Season 3!

Jack

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator
I'm curious too as to what TVLand edited out. I happen to have the first 8 episodes of the third season of the BNS taped from TVLand 3-4 years ago, so I will compare them with the DVD versions as soon as I receive Season 3 from amazon.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
The commentaries on this set were awesome. They are my second favorite behind the ones done for Futurama/Simpsons.

Paul

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator

I just compared DVD Season 3 Episode One, Big Brother is Watching, with my TV Land VHS version taped in 2003. The DVD version is 25:41; the TV Land version runs 22:31. This appears to have been done with a combination of edits and time compression.

First, the reason you can't remember any "major" edits is that rather than edit out any entire scenes, the edits were made to very brief portions of the show, done at 8 different locations in the middle of scenes. The edits total 1 minute, 23 seconds. The following portions of the DVD do not appear in the TV Land version:

2:30 - 2:38
7:41 - 7:58
9:03 - 9:12
11:00 - 11:07
12:38 - 12:48
16:13 - 16:21
21:37 - 21:44
22:02 - 22:19

This leaves 1 min and 47 seconds of reduced time which can not be attributed to any edits, and thus seem to be the result of TV Land using time compression. Indeed, I noticed that when I started the DVD and TV Land tape at an identical point, the tape was soon slightly ahead in the scenes. Interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks