What's new

Bob Marley: One Love....Superb. (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
I picked up the newly released/remastered "Best Of" yesterday.
"One Love: The Very Best Of Bob Marley and The Wailers" is a wonderful collection that isn't so much a replacement for "Legend", but an addition.
The Classic tracks "Jammin", "Could You Be Loved", "Stir It Up", "Get Up, Stand Up" all sound better than I've ever heard them. Crystal Clear with an immediacy that was missing from "Legend". The Remastering job done here is superb.
You get some bonus tracks as well... "No Woman, No Cry" is a live version taken from a small club that sounds wonderful. The Audience presence is there throughout the whole track and they join in the sing along, making this a really great track. "Redemption Song" is the little heard full-band version rather than the Acoustic solo version found on "Legend". "One Love/People Get Ready" is an artful blending of these two powerful songs done in the perfect Bob Marley fashion.
Also, there are 2 tracks that up till now have been unavailable on any Marley records.."Iron Lion Zion" and "I know a Place", both sound marvelous and depict Bob at the top of his game.
This CD is highly recommended to any and all Bob Marley fans, even if you already own "Legend", you'll find the big hits here to be of superior sound quality, and there are enough differences to warrant keeping both CD's.
Total Time: 78:55 20 Tracks ~ Island Def Jam Music
------------------
Ric Perrott
My Theater ;My DVD's
"The Distance Between Insanity and Genius is measured in Success"

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Ric,
Is the "Iron, Lion, Zion" track the "dance version" or does it have the original, more traditional reggae rhythm track as found on the Songs of Freedom box set? I like both versions, but I am just curious. Same basic question for "Buffalo Soldier".
By the way, if any hardcore Bob Marley fans wander through this thread, what is the best disc to purchase if you are interested in the "Upsetter years" i.e. the Wailers songs produced by Lee "Scratch" Perry? This would include stuff like "Soul Rebel", "Mr. Brown", and the original versions of "Sun is Shining" and "Don't Rock the Boat/Satisfy My Soul". I have seen a number of compilations but was wondering about sound quality, liner notes, & stuff like that.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
The "Songs of Freedom" boxset is the definitive collection.
"From "Judge Not" to "Redemption Song" Originally released in 1992 as a limited edition set, Songs of Freedom has been reissued in 1999 with great anticipation. The definitive Bob Marley retrospective of 75 songs--classics and rarities--on four cds. Gathered from a lifetime of timeless and universal music Songs of Freedom includes previously unreleased material and original recordings spanning three decades of Reggae history. A must for any music fan.
Including tracks from the various periods of the Wailers, starting with Robert Marley's first release in 1962, this collection contains a song for every occassion. The extensive liner notes cover the career of Bob Marley and the Wailers, and offer personal impressions from those close to the group."
-Chirs
------------------
"Would you not like to be, sitting on top of the world with your legs hanging free..."--DMB

Ray R

Stunt Coordinator
If you're really into Marley, there are tons of live performances on the web. I downloaded shows from '73 and '76 and I must say even after going from analog to MP3 to burned CD, the quality is unbelievable (wide frequency response, low noise, no nasty echos or loud crowd noise). The '76 show I have has an excellent 14 minute long version of Stand up, Get up.
------------------
HT pictures

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I got 'Songs of Freedom' for my birthday from my sister and it's an excellent collection, lots of great songs from different eras and different mixes of many of the popular ones so people who have alot of the original LPs/CDs can look for something new. I haven't had time to read the liner notes but it's a great set packaged very compactly.
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

RicP

Screenwriter
The "Songs of Freedom" boxset is the definitive collection.
Agreed. However, None of the tracks in that boxset have been remastered. The entire box set has just been re-issued in a cube format rather than the longbox it was in. These are exactly the same mixes and masters that originally appeared on the 1992 issue of the boxset.
Like I said above, if you are a fan of Bob Marley and want to hear his studio "hits" in the best sound you've ever heard them in, then you really should get "One Love". The 24 bit Remastering done on these tracks is really outstanding. They sound like they were recorded yesterday.
------------------
Ric Perrott
My Theater ;My DVD's
"The Distance Between Insanity and Genius is measured in Success"

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
By the way, if any hardcore Bob Marley fans wander through this thread, what is the best disc to purchase if you are interested in the"Upsetter years"?
Try "One Love from Studio One." It's a two-disc set from Heartbeat Records. (At least I think that's the label.)
Anybody care to give the full track list for the new compilation? I'm curious to see what's been added to the material from "Legend."

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
quote:Ric, "Iron Lion Zion" is on "Natural Mystic, the Legend Lives On". Kind of a Legend Vol II.
Save for that track, "Mystic" is a veritable track-for-track retread of the previous "Rebel Music" collection.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
OK, I answered my own question: Iron Lion Zion is the "dance" version with the new rhythm track. Buffalo Soldier is the regular version with the original rhythm track.
The "One Love from Studio One" collection is a good one, but it stops short of the Lee "Scratch" Perry stuff.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

The 24 bit Remastering done on these tracks is really outstanding. They sound like they were recorded yesterday.
I agree 100%. I picked this CD up on sale the other day and it has been played over and over again. This disc sounds much better than Legend in my opinion. I had never heard "Roots,Rock,Reggae" or "Sun is Shining" sound so good.
------------------
View MShannon's DVD Collection
If You Want "The Five Heartbeats" Go Here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/001946.html
Petition for Eddie Murphy Films GO HERE:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/002420.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508