What's new

Blueprint 1803 applications! (1 Viewer)

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Thats one big box! I was kinda hoping to do a sonotube subwoofer, as it would allow me to incorporate a very long port tube. But I talked to Pat from Blueprint and he said that a sonotube enclosure wouldnt work very well, because it would bounce around all over the place. Was anyone else going to try one of these?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
But I talked to Pat from Blueprint and he said that a sonotube enclosure wouldnt work very well, because it would bounce around all over the place.
That was a concern of mine due to the relatively low weight of these enclosures, I know it can happen with other, smaller tube subs. I plan on going to go this route initially, at least as a "proof-of-concept", then maybe doing a box. Adding weight will help, maybe extra endcap plugs. I may also be laying it on it side. It's a concern, but not a fatal flaw, as I see it. Then again, I've never used a driver with this kind of horsepower.
The ideal solution, of course, is a 28ft.^3, 30" diameter tube with one 1803 at each end. Problem solved. :)

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
The ideal solution, of course, is a 28ft.^3, 30" diameter tube with one 1803 at each end. Problem solved.
You might want to see someone about that
wink.gif

Vince

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
quote: There might also be an issue with the tube walls being adequate for that sort of high output sub.[/quote]
Yeah,that was another concern. I don't think the outward flexing of the tube would be a problem, as that is the chief advantage of the cylindrical shape, but the structural integrity of the endcaps, and their adhesion to the tube, becomes paramount. I believe SVS also upped their endcaps when they went with their new driver, so I'm thinking 3 layers of 1" MDF for this one.
I'll see how it goes, the tube would be to get the driver off my floor quickly. :) It's not a very expensive proposition, in any event. A proper box would need to be more massive than I can really handle, and a tube would be superior to a box that I probably could handle, I think. If I'm unhappy, I'd go with a much smaller, massively-built box for a Linkwitz transform.
You might want to see someone about that
I've received that diagnosis before.
wink.gif

[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on November 08, 2001 at 07:55 AM]

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I think I remember TV stating that SVS went with double layers of Baltic Birch for the endcaps on the Ultras. This may have even trickled down to the "lower" line as well.
One think's for sure! When I finally build this sub it will be all the justification in the world for finally buying a hand truck!
Brian

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
One think's for sure! When I finally build this sub it will be all the justification in the world for finally buying a hand truck!
:) I really need to limit mine to what I can handle with my hand truck. The big tube would be ok, if awkward. A 14 ft.^3 box of 1.5" MDF would be impossible for me to build, finish, then get up two floors from my basement to my den. I figure I could about handle a 2x2x2 cube of the same thickness MDF at most if I went the LT route. Of course, Thomas' idea of driver at each end of a tube for the LT looks cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks