What's new

Blue Underground Release of Final Countdown is available for Preorder ! (1 Viewer)

SvenS

Second Unit
As I closed my post above... I am GLAD as can be that this is indeed a legit company and if they release the product as stated I will be in heaven!!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Long live Bill Lustig! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

PFE should just be glad that Peckinpah is not still walking the Earth - 'cause God help 'em! :laugh:

Gordy

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Blue Underground is doing fantastic work restoring and releasing obscure titles that would otherwise never see the light of day. I've got their spaghetti western collection and it is just *superb*. People should have no reservations at all about the kind of job they'll do with The Final Countdown - they're a first-rate outfit. I'm very pleased to hear that BU has this title under their wing!

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Just to add to the Blue Underground recommendations, I've bought 23 Blue Underground discs since they started, and I've only sold on four (which were entirely because of movies without much rewatch value as opposed to disc quality).

Blue Underground has yet to put a foot wrong, and it's great to see them launching into high-definition transfers.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Ive just seen evidence that either letter writing and/or BU's legal team has had an effect on the PFE disc of THE FINAL COUNTDOWN:

AMAZON and several others no longer lists the PFE disc for sale;
They DO now list the BU version for Pre-order
Glenn Erickson, of DVD SAVANT/DVD TALK shelved a review when he heard of the legal flap.
These are just ones I know of...

looks like a final countdown for PFE...

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Did a quick search and didn't see anything on this, which surprises me since you guys are usually all over announcements. ;)

From The Bits:

And the long-awaited The Final Countdown: Special Edition from Blue Underground is also available to pre-order on Amazon. It's due to be released on March 23rd, and will include both anamorphic widescreen and full frame video, as well as Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS 6.1 ES audio. Extras are TBD. Watch the Blue Underground site for more on this.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
So is this a newly remastered one or what? It isn't going to be the same nightmare as the last release will it?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Blue Underground is a perfectly legit operation, specializing in cult titles. I wouldn't fret about this release.

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, May 25th is a long way away. Of course worth the wait if it as good as it sounds. I wonder why so far away, maybe timing it for some sort of Memorial day tie in?

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I look forward to this release as I always liked the premise of this film. It is not a great film, but it is an interesting one.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Given the history of this title, I will await reviews of the actual disc prior to purchase.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone confirm that the new release will be anamorphic?...the specs imply that it will be, but it does not actually say so anywhere. I have emailed Blue Underground twice, but have not received a reply.

H

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Can anyone confirm that the new release will be anamorphic?...the specs imply that it will be, but it does not actually say so anywhere.
Yes, it will. As the announcement on their website stated:

"THE FINAL COUNTDOWN will be presented with new THX-approved 16x9/2.35:1 and 4x3/1.33:1 high-definition transfers and state-of-the-art 6.1 DTS-ES and 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX soundtracks.

The "16x9" spec indicates anamorphic. Blue Underground is doing a brand-new HD transfer from an original negative, so I really doubt they'd make it non-anamorphic.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks