What's new

Blue laser in the next DVD Spec !!!! (1 Viewer)

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
Directly from the DVD Forum http://www.dvdforum.org/forum.shtml
Latest update on Blue-laser DVD: The DVD Forum's Steering Committee has unanimously decided to begin discussions to establish a single, best format for high-definition DVD using a blue laser diode.
A Working Group will be established shortly to study technical options currently available regarding blue-laser DVD.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Just remember, the spec won't be ready for 3-4 years, and it will take another 4-5 years beyond that to gett all the studios to approve copyprotection standards. So don't expect to see decks for another 8-12 years. They will not sabotage DVD's current success, especially with less than 1 in 200 persons owning an HDTV

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
So, does this mean they have abandoned the idea of staying with red laser and using MPEG-4 at a lower bit-rate and using blue laser only for recording HD on DVD?
The statement "to establish a single, best format for high-definition DVD" seems to sound like it.
Does this mean that Chris A needs to revise the petition, or do we not even need it now? I still think it's not a bad idea to let the DVD forum know what we would like to see with HD-DVD, but now maybe it can include all the side issues that have been mentioned in the petition thread without worrying about taking away from the main point (no red laser low bit-rate).

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Just remember, the spec won't be ready for 3-4 years, and it will take another 4-5 years beyond that to gett all the studios to approve copyprotection standards. So don't expect to see decks for another 8-12 years.
Fine. I would rather wait 8-12 years and have them do it right than have a mediocre HD-DVD 4-5 years with little hope of that "best format for high-definition DVD" ever being released. Also, after seeing how many studios backed D-Theater in such a short period of time, I am a little more optimistic towards quicker approval of an HD-DVD copy protection scheme.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Does this mean that Chris A needs to revise the petition, or do we not even need it now? I still think it's not a bad idea to let the DVD forum know what we would like to see with HD-DVD, but now maybe it can include all the side issues that have been mentioned in the petition thread without worrying about taking away from the main point (no red laser low bit-rate).
YES YES YES we still need that petition (with maybe one or two minor changes).

There's still the possibility that they'll vertically filter 1080-film content to minimize aliasing on 1080I displays (NO NO NO!!) and that we'll get stuck with some (crappy) DD audio or something.

We want 1080P fidelity (do NOT compromise software for interlaced displays) and we want our audio in 24/192 7 channel surround.

That's a petition if ever I heard one.

-dave

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Meanwhile, it should be interesting to see what happens on the Blu-ray Disc front--which is being supported by nine manufacturers from within the DVD Forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks