What's new

Blu-ray Review Blue is the Warmest Color Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Blue is the Warmest Color Blu-ray Review

Young Adèle catches a sight of a girl with blue hair, and that passing glimpse precipitates a journey of sexual and identity discovery that heaves and crests with emotional power, sexual uninhibitedness, and a magnifying glass at the sparkle, confusion, destabilization and navigation of love lost experienced by Adèle. Despite the public controversy that arose following the complaints levied by Julie Maroh – author of the original source material upon which this film is based (and the public spat that erupted between the director and the stars, journalists and others who criticized him or his film), Blue is the Warmest Color will most certainly find its place among the most revered films of our generation. A confluence of story, performance, direction, editing and lighting, with patient narrative structure and a sublime tone and intensity, have produced something genuinely special and worthy of the praise it has received.

Posted Image

Studio: Criterion

Distributed By: N/A

Video Resolution and Encode: 1080P/MPEG-2

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Audio: French 5.1 DTS

Subtitles: English

Rating: NC-17

Run Time: 2 Hr. 59 Min.

Package Includes: Blu-ray

Clear Criterion case

Disc Type: BD50 (dual layer)

Region: A

Release Date: 02/25/2014

MSRP: $24.95

The Production Rating: 4.5/5

“I miss you. I miss not touching each other. Not seeing each other, not breathing in each other. I want you. All the time. No one else.”

Adèle wanders through her school days as any other child her age, with a mix of boredom, laughter and curiosity. Her school friends discuss boys and the favor of their attention, and her time in class seems to be a mix of daydreaming and interest. She is in her final year. One sunny day, a walk through the high street offers a chance passing encounter. An older girl with striking blue hair catches her glance. Adèle is surprised by the feelings this encounter stirs. As her friends continue to gossip about boys, Adèle accepts the attention of a handsome a little older than her. They enjoy each other’s company, but a sexual encounter between them leaves her confused and empty.During a night out with a friend, a young gay man, she is taken to a gay bar. Later, making her way to a lesbian bar, chance again brings the blue-haired girl into her world. They strike up a conversation and immediately hit it off. Her name is Emma.Adèle and Emma develop a friendship. Adèle’s friends, feeling shunned by Adèle’s divided attention, and by her apparent fascination with a girl, taunt Adèle, insinuating through insult that she is a lesbian. Adèle lashes out. But the comfort and confidence she feels spending time with Emma – a girl with whom the rest of the world seems to disappear when they are together – eases her and she soon accepts her desire for her.Director Abdellatif Kechiche constructs a mesmerizing experience with Blue. Assembling a film from endless hours of footage, a good deal captured during the actresses downtime, as they slept or paused between scenes. The effect serves to create a magnificent sense of timelessness, organic storytelling and artful realism. Even scenes concerned with rote, mundane things – eating a family meal, a discussion of art – becomes something of beauty as presented here.Winner of the prestigious Palme d'Or, there is exquisiteness in every inch of Blue is the Warmest Color (also known as La Vie d'Adèle – Chapitres 1&2). A remarkable performance by Adèle Exarchopoulos (as Adèle) – truly one of the most laid bare, honest, and fully committed performances I’ve been privileged to witness – sets a good film into the realm of greatness. Her journey through the tumult of sexual discovery is deeply engrossing, capturing us from the first moment we walk into her life.The explorations of sexual awakening isn’t new in film, but the intimacy and unfettered look at the sexual emergence of a young girl becoming aware of her feelings towards girls – told with great tenderness and explicit abandon from time to time – most certainly is. While there have been other films that have explored same-sex relationships (though not nearly enough), such as Beautiful Thing (1996), Desert Hearts (1985) and Maurice (1987), Blue is the Warmest Color seems the most intimate and unflinching. The entire film is grounded and powered by the extraordinary performance of Adèle Exarchopoulos who stuns with one of the single greatest performances I can recall, and is aided by uniformly terrific supporting players, most notably her love interest, Emma (Léa Seydoux).The controversy surrounding Blue is the Warmest Color triggered shortly after the film’s triumph at the Cannes film festival. The graphic nature of the love scenes were lambasted by some, charges that the film included nothing more than unrealistic, male heterosexually charged fantasies of lesbian sex, and accusations of the director displaying an unhealthy voyeuristic proclivities were all fodder for discussion. Even the actresses that form the very heart and soul of the film, Adèle Exarchopoulos and Léa Seydoux, became part of that post-success story with less than flattering comments about the director. That, along with the author of the graphic novel upon which this film’s story is based, offering pretty harsh criticism – particularly of the nature and graphic intensity of the sex displayed onscreen (by two actresses, neither of which were lesbians themselves), appeared close to sullying the success of the film and defining what Blue would become in the eyes of the broader film audience.Fortunately that did not happen. Not because some of the complaints and questions raised aren’t valid in their own way, but because complaints and controversy aside, all that we can judge is what we see on the screen. And in that regard, Blue is the Warmest Color is an extraordinary experience. Vivid, lush, natural, intimate, earnest, raw, and impossibly fascinating.It’s hard to judge if the lesbian sex is accurate for two critically important reasons. The first, perhaps most obvious, is that I am not a lesbian and thus have no first-hand experience. The second is that the sex we see depicted onscreen isn’t offered as representative of all lesbian love-making. Quite the contrary. In a powerful scene late in the film, as Adèle and Emma talk with great pain and fragility about their relationship, they admit to each other that the lovemaking between them was unique in their experiences with other lovers. In other words, their sexual connection was unlike anything they’d experienced with anyone else.As a three-hour experience, little is really known of Adèle or Emma’s family besides a few brief scenes, mainly at the dinner table (Emma’s parents are supportive, Adèle’s are oblivious). As young as Adèle is when her sexual revelations begin to make themselves apparent, her interactions with her parents would have made for some terrific drama and exploration. But precious little time is spent on that concern – by design it appears, but it does relinquish an important part of Adèle’s journey and the opportunity for us to better understand how this kind of sexual discovery can play out with family members.Still, despite its relatively minor flaws, Blue is the Warmest Color, is a stunning and beautiful film. Rich with brilliant performances, replete with natural intimacy and raw emotional power, and a brilliantly unforgettable journey.

Video Rating: 5/5 3D Rating: NA

Presented in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1, Blue is the Warmest Color exhibits a flawlessness. Shot with a Canon C300 digital camera (with the production completed in a fully digital workflow), the presentation is pristine, delighting with excellent color balance, wonderfully natural skin tones and sharp contrast. A beautiful presentation without issues.The master was approved by the film’s director, Abdellatif Kechiche.

Audio Rating: 4.5/5

Using the original digital audio master files, mastered at 24-bit, the 5.1 audio is filled with passages of ambient sounds. Dialogue presents itself primarily in the center channel allowing the light soundscape to exist naturally. Bursts of sound adjoin certain scenes, most notably the street march scenes with boisterous crowds and loud, joyful, danceable music pronounced.The French 5.1 DTS-HD Master audio is accompanied by English subtitles.

Special Features Rating: 1.5/5

A second, reportedly feature-laden release is expected from Criterion at some point in the future.Trailer and TV SpotBooklet containing an essay by critic B. Ruby Rich

Overall Rating: 4.5/5

There is no sense of urgency in how Blue is paced. Each scene is contemplative, close, framed to show, in many cases, just Adèle or Adèle and her lover, as if the rest of the world did not exist. In every instance in the film we witness Adèle. Her boredom, her confusion, her fear, her peace, her joy, her vulnerability, her routine and her emotional trips, triumphs and tumult. We find ourselves enamored with her life – rising with joy and falling with sadness at her missteps. And thus, watching Blue is the Warmest Color becomes a deeply affecting experience.Highly Recommended.

Reviewed By: Neil Middlemiss

Support HTF when you buy this title:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Having numerous LGBT friends (growing up "all hanging out hippie")...

This film is, yes, flawed. So is High Art(laughably so). Angeles of Sex(coulda went further).

One of the best takes on this genre is Room in Rome. But RiR is more flawed than this here. And RiR is more sincere at the same time.

No perfect movie out there on alternate lifestyles...and there never will be.

At least not until the abolishment of the word "alternative"...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This was one of my favorite films of last year. I funds it surprisingly moving, beautiful, and I thought the end, while sad, also is beautiful. I loved this film and it's in my must buy list.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have talked about this film in length in another thread.

By far, a film that must be seen.

I don't think Neil brought this up in his review, but allegedly
there is an extended version of this film coming from Criterion.

For that reason, I am holding off on purchasing this version.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Ronald Epstein said:
I have talked about this film in length in another thread.

By far, a film that must be seen.

I don't think Neil brought this up in his review, but allegedly
there is an extended version of this film coming from Criterion.

For that reason, I am holding off on purchasing this version.
I knew Criterion was preparing a release up to their typical standards (more generous special features and analysis - something I mention in the special features section), but was not aware of a longer cut coming.

That I am eager to see!

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I first saw Blue is the Warmest Color in Spring 2014, on the Criterion Blu, and have seen it several times since then. And, I was extremely impressed by the film - it's definitely one of the most remarkable foreign (non US) movies I've seen, and also IMHO one of the best coming of age films of all time. Even though it was three hours long, it never dragged or felt forced. Truly superb. For some reason I especially enjoy watching this in the late Spring/early Summer months.

As a straight guy who has absolutely no problem with seeing two women together (and I'm sure I'm not unusual in that sense), I still wasn't sure I could really identify/relate to the film prior to seeing it - i.e., I knew I would like the love scenes, etc. - however, I wasn't sure if the relationship aspect would be that interesting to me.

Well, I needn't have worried because I found the entire movie quite compelling - especially the relationship aspect, which was the focal point of the entire film. I liked how you really saw the progression with Adele first noticing Emma in the park?! in the beginning, to the early beginnings of the relationship, to their eventual moving in together, etc.

The break-up scene - when Emma threw Adele out because she had cheated - was definitely one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever seen in a movie; the emotional pain of each character was quite palatable, and heart-breaking. Quite impressive acting here.

Also appreciated:

-The importance & use of food in the film - being a foodie myself, I found this interesting: In the first part of the film when Adele is in school and living @ home, she eats very standard food like spaghetti & salad. After she meets & then starts seeing Emma, she seems to experiment more with eating shell-fish/seafood & other more exotic foods - that she didn't have much interest in previously. Food definitely seems to have some kind of erotic connection here, or maybe I'm reading too much into this...

-I see Adele as having mixed feelings re: her relationship with Emma. Sure, she gets very upset & emotional when Emma kicks her out during that key scene (which is quite hard to watch), but she kind of brought this on herself by having an affair with her fellow teacher. Plus, as Adele mentions to Emma, no one at her school knows she's living with Emma - I guess I understand this, considering this could be an issue re: her being a teacher of children. Also, I got the strong impression that Adele's parents didn't know she was living with Emma either.

- Going along with the above, during the house party scene when Emma had all of her friends over, I saw Adele as being relegated to the "housewife" role - i.e. cooking, serving, etc. while Emma schmoozes with her arty friends. I do understand that Emma was supportive of Adele's writing & did try to encourage her (per the conversation they had after that party), but you get the impression that Adele feels something is missing from the relationship.

-The scenes when Adele is suffering from depression after the break-up (while alone in her new apartment) were quite realistic & well-done.

-"Aging" Adele from her late teens to her more mature early-mid 20's was brilliant; no aging make-up was used, but the character had a different hair style, glasses, and attitude during the later scenes when she was a teacher vs. the earlier scenes when she was still in school.

-I like the use of the color Blue in the film. Though the obvious use of the color is related to Emma's dyed hair when she first meets Adele, I did also notice: a light blue blanket on Adele & Emma's bed, as well as the darker blue dress that Adele wore when she attended Emma's art showing at the end of the film.

I also thought the last scene of the film was truly brilliant, and non-Hollywood in the best way - i.e., the guy that Adele has met at a party years before met her again at the art gallery - and, when he went to look for her after she left the gallery/party, couldn't find her...a far cry from the typical Hollywood tear-jerker - in which the guy & the girl would hook up at the end & ride off happily into the sunset...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks