What's new

Blu Universal Monsters (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Especially when nobody at the studio will tell me anything. You would think after we pointed out the few problems with CREATURE and offered our services to help restore their 3-D holdings correctly, we would be consulted? Nope!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Bob Furmanek said:
Just disappointing, but life goes on.
It is disappointing. I have been hoping a future release would fix the problems with Creature.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I definitely want more of the Universal monster films on blu-ray--I rather enjoy the Frankenstein sequels. I'm not a big fan of the old sci-fi films, but Universal should release them because those films have a lot of fans willing to pony up the cash. Now if Universal could indulge me and release a Monster movie I've been waiting for, it would be Jaws 2, Scheider fan that I am!

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
I bought the bluray set of Univ Monster's and enjoy it very much.I also bought all of the legacy sets, sans Creature set, and had to replace the WolfMan set due to defective Werewolf of London disc.While I have not played any of them recently, are you telling me that over time these dblsided DVDs will begin having playback problems?YIKES!!!!!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JSul said:
I bought the bluray set of Univ Monster's and enjoy it very much.I also bought all of the legacy sets, sans Creature set, and had to replace the WolfMan set due to defective Werewolf of London disc.While I have not played any of them recently, are you telling me that over time these dblsided DVDs will begin having playback problems?YIKES!!!!!
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Good luck.

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
Curses! I took out my Dracula Legacy set to watch Son of Dracula and House of Dracula.My Panny Bluray playerBDT320 had trouble bring up the SoD menu...then upon trying to okay, it would constantly freeze up....so tried it on my older Sony NS77h dvd player, and it froze up during the opening titles, then played froze/skipped during the opening few scenes then played further w/o issue.I handle all my 'stuff' with utmost care. The disc has no evidence of scratches or anything obobvious.I have not tried to wipe or clean the disc...and will start watching all titles in my sets to see if they play through w/o issues.Doubt Univ will offer any replacement support.I may have to find the double feature discs and grab them as replacements....RATS!

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Volok
bob kaplan said:
Just had my MUMMY LEGACY from Universal have a glitch in the play thru of one of its titles (MUMMY TOMBS). It freezes on three different machines....Just wondering if Universal released the titles as they are on Blu ray, would anyone purchase them. Because of the double sided disc, they seemed to have offered a lot of trouble when they were first released, and now i find the titles deteroriate. Some of my favoriate "stuff" is on those collections....the thought of them disolving before i do, upsets me.
I had this very same problem with that set. Very disappointing. And the problem with the earlier dbl feature releases is that so many of them went bad, as did most of Universal's early DVD releases. Manufacturing flaws beyond their control seem to plague that studio.

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
Sent email to Uni, explaining my issue with Son of Dracula disc failure.They said they no longer have these in stock for replacement, so have asked if they have any of the Sob of/Draculas Daughter dbl feature disc to offer as replacement...will see.They seemed taken aback that any dvd18's go bad over time.

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Volok
JSul said:
Sent email to Uni, explaining my issue with Son of Dracula disc failure.They said they no longer have these in stock for replacement, so have asked if they have any of the Sob of/Draculas Daughter dbl feature disc to offer as replacement...will see.They seemed taken aback that any dvd18's go bad over time.
Almost all of their first DVD releases have gone bad.

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
Ken, it is true that 'over time all of the dvd-18's will become defective?'
I have read many thoughts on this on the internet.

Honestly, I did my due dilligence upon purchasing all of the Legacy boxed sets, trying to avoid the 'made in Mexico' discs..took them home, and over a few weeks watched each one.....only defect at that time was the Werewolf of London disc, which the retailer glady replaced.....all others, even Bela Lugosi Collection, played w/o issue, so thought I was 'home free.'

After a few months of not watching, suddenly Son of Dracula will not play w/o freeze ups/skips......like Bob K with his Mummy Legacy disk.

Last email from Univ Home video (yesterday) they simply asked (again) what titles would not play from the Dracula Legacy set, and I answered: Son of Dracula.

I am now, slowly but surely going through the Legacy sets, Lugosi Collection....any/all Univ dvd-18's to see if they still play ok. I am a fanatic when iot comes to taking care of my bluray & dvd's, my VHS tapes, and my vinyl LP's and 45's, so it is not due to 'poor handling' on my part.

It will be interesting to see what the next message from Univ is....but I cant send them the defective SoD disc, because House of Dracula plays fine (so far), and is not available otherwise.

One does wonder if/when the other sequels will come out on bluray.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'm ripping my copies of House of Dracula and the Invisible Man sequels before the discs go bad. Who knows when they'll get released again....

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
Univ has advised me that they are sending the double feature dvd Son of Dracula/Dracula's Daughter, as a replacement.Thanks Univ!!! I hope that none of my other dvd-18's go bad.....there are no double feature DVDs for the Invisible Man sequels.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just thought I'd pop in here and ask if there's been in indication that Universal will release a sequel box to to the blu ray Monsters box? Or a blu ray sci fi box?Come on Uni, Halloween is right around the corner.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Johnny Angell said:
Just thought I'd pop in here and ask if there's been in indication that Universal will release a sequel box to to the blu ray Monsters box? Or a blu ray sci fi box?Come on Uni, Halloween is right around the corner.
I think the Universal Monsters Blu-ray is the best set of movies that I own, and I agree that we need more of the Universal classic monster movies restored and released on Blu-ray.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Two other Universal Horror sets which have good looking DVDs are Classic Movie Archive (Black Cat etc) and Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Lon Chaney Jr).These look like they wouldn't need much work to put out on blu-ray.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd be surprised if they haven't restored the others. I hope a few more sets are released, no need for a big box, the four Mummy films could easily fit on a two disc set. The set I'd really like is a four film Frankenstein set: Son Of, Ghost Of, Meets The Wolfman & the crazy, House Of (& each one has a different actor playing the creature).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Billy Batson said:
I hope a few more sets are released, no need for a big box...
I think character based sets are the only way that you'll see the sequels come out. I think people will spend a total of $80 for a number of small sets but if Universal had faith in a box set of them all selling for that price, I think we'd have seen it by now.

P

Patrick Donahue

Here's calling for a release of the distant cousin of the Universal Monsters, The Old Dark House...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks