What's new

Blu-rays with multiple versions (1 Viewer)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
The discussion about the theatrical only versions of the Trek movies got me thinking....

Has anyone compiled a list of blu-ray with multiple versions via branching?

I know of these

Alien vs Predator------Fox
Alien vs Predator 2----Fox
American Gangster----Uni
King Kong-------------Uni
Hancock--------------Sony
Walk Hard------------Sony
Close Encounters-----Sony
Ghost Rider-----------Sony
Spider-Man 2---------Sony
I Am Legend----------WB
Pineapple Express-----Sony
X-Files 1--------------Fox
X-Files 2--------------Fox
Hostel----------------Sony
Blade Runner----------WB
Dark City--------------NL/WB
Caligula---------------Ugh
Star Trek TOS season 1-------Par !!!!!!!! 'Branching'

In standard DVD Apocalypse Now by Paramount has branching !!!!!!!!!!!!! Something to hope for.

I can't remember a lot offhand but I know they are out there. I tried to avoid listing movies that simply add a few seconds raunch for an unrated blurb.
Any more that you can think of?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I've been meaning to start a thread on this very subject. Where they exist, having multiple versions of a film available on Blu-ray/DVD--preferably on the same release--is important to me. I've been pleasantly surprised not only by how many films are available on Blu-ray in multiple versions, but that they have thus far pretty much always been included on a single release.

Some major releases are still missing important alternate versions (Independence Day and Stargate, for example), but on the whole, Blu-ray appears to be doing much better than DVD did in this regard.

Here are some more such releases off the top of my head:

The 40-Year-Old Virgin
Blade Runner
Knocked Up
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Thanks.

It's really amzing that we can get all these comedies with branching on their first release and after selling Trek movies in 15 versions we still get a double-dip.

But Blade Runner is simply multiple discs--not branching--which is jst as good for movies with lots of versions or major changes

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
While the "Final Cut" and workprint versions of Blade Runner each get their own disc, the three "archival" versions--the U.S. theatrical version, international theatrical version, and "director's cut"--are implemented via branching.

I, too, would prefer to see branching used on the upcoming Star Trek Blu-ray discs to include the multiple versions of each film. But, given that only one version of each film is to be included, I'm happy that it's the theatrical version, because the theatrical version of The Motion Picture was never released on DVD, and the theatrical version of VI has never been released on home video at all! I think it's pretty much a given that the extended versions will be released eventually, whereas if only the extended versions had been released, I wouldn't feel so confident that the theatrical versions would appear someday.

A theatrical-only release is not as good as a multiple-version release, but I think it's better than an extended-version-only release. At least this way we can rest assured that both versions will be available in time.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis

I agree that if they had released the extended versions first, it would have decreased the likelihood of ever seeing the originals, but with the economy and any possible expense involved with bringing the Director's cuts to Blu----I fear the same for the longer cuts as well.
I waited from the ABC airing of the extended Trek 2 in 1985 till 2002---17 years---to get an official/widescreen version of Trek 2 and it's very disappointing to get shut out again in this release.
Including both was the right thing and corporate America usually always does the right thing......er:laugh:

I added X-Files 2 & Blade Runner to the list

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's not a big deal but both X-Files movies (Fight The Future is the first one and I Want To Believe is the second one) have extended and theatrical cuts on Blu-ray. I don't think Fight The Future's theatrical cut was ever released on VHS, laserdisc or DVD either.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Yes they added a few minutes of footage to the first X-Files movie ever since the first release....

Since I'm only including multiple version releases I didn't add it to the list.

Also Kingdom of Heaven, Troy, JFK, Nixon, Alexander, Satrgate etc., have the extended version only..........

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
...Which is incorrect, since "Fight the Future" is the first X-Files movie.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Also Dark City from New Line, and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Season 1 from Warner Brothers (episode #107: "The Demon Hand").

(At least, I'm assuming that they branch; there's enough disc space, especially on Terminator, where it could theoretically just be two encodes.)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Sweet Jesus, let's break this down like we're five year-olds.

THE X-FILES: FIGHT THE FUTURE (the first X-FILES film) contains both the theatrical and extended home video versions, via branching, on the Blu-ray.

THE X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE (the second X-FILES film) also contains both the theatrical and extended home video versions, via branching, on the Blu-ray.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Thanks for clarifying that Travis......albeit in a somewhat rude way. :laugh:

When I rented the first one it wouldn't play in my machine and since i hadn't read that it contained both versions in the review i saw---I didn't think they had both.

Way to go Fox----adding a version never before available on home video!

Added it to the list.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
First impressions indicate Fox & sony are doing a great job of providing multiple version....

Universal just got on the Blu-ray train so we'll see, but King Kong is a good start....

Is Disney going to join Paramount in the hall of shame?

Armageedon comes to mind for a two-version movie that not out yet......

But I'm afraid they sold the rights to the longer version to Criterion.....
Paerl Harbor didn't have branching, but it was an early release.

any more branching titles?

Im unsure of Dark City---does it have branching?

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Just think of me as the Dr. McCoy of the forum; I come from the same caring place as the rest of you, I just get gruff when everything gets discombobulated...

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

Paramount used branching in their more recent DVD edition of 'Apocalypse Now' (i.e. the theatrical version and the Redux version), so I'll be very disappointed if they fail to replicate that on BD.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I added American Gangster---------thanks

To correct myself and the other poster. Paramount IS the DVD distributor of Apocalypse Now AND the 'Redux' release DOES NOT have both versions.

If someone can link to a review or statement that Paramount has EVER done seamless branching please do so.

Nope the recent 'Complete Dossier' release had the two versions on SEPARATE discs.

But we'd all have been happy if they were going to do that for the upcoming Blu-ray trek releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks