What's new

Blu-Ray with 42' 720P Panny Plasma (1 Viewer)

Steve>JF

Agent
Do I need to buy a new tv if I buy a Blu-Ray player? I have a Panny 1024x768P Plasma and the picture looks pretty good with SD DVD and TV. Will it do Blu-Ray DVDs justice? I've heard/read that unless you have a screen greater than 42", there isn't a real noticable difference. Does anyone have this setup (Blu-Ray player hooked to 768P Plasma/LCD tv)?

Steve

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Many people do and most say BR makes a significant difference depending in large part to your viewing distance. The argument about screen size is much more about 720p vs 1080p rather than 1080p Bluray vs 480p DVD -- it's better to throw away half the extra pixels than to attempt invent 2/3 of the pixels that aren't on DVD to begin with. Even on my 23inch set Bluray is noticeably better -- color saturation, detail, jaggies. On the audio side there is a significant improvement as well.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
If you can tell the difference between SD DVD and HD broadcast, then Blu-ray will be at least that much. If you are so far away that you don't see much difference between DVD & HD then you may not want to bother. But I would argue that if you are sitting so far away you can't tell a difference, that you are missing the point of home theater & have wasted the improvement HD brings. Move your seat closer! 2.5x the TV size at most IMO and 2x would be better.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
I've got a 50" Panny Plasma, 768p; I sit about 11-12 feet away.

I was a bit disappointed with BR when I first got my Sony 550 on Black Friday. Honestly, I've been more consistently impressed with NBC's over-the-air broadcasts (ABC looks a tad "soft" and I can't pick up CBS or FOX well enough, so I just watch the SD cable versions).

So obviously, it's not a problem with the TV. But I don't think it's a problem with the format, either. It's the particular films and the particular scenes in those films. Frankly, I don't think I've watched enough titles yet (around 10). In Hellboy and Hulk, for instance, I could see an improvement, but it wasn't a knock-your-socks-off improvement. But in The Dark Knight, the IMAX scenes were simply breathtaking. I was blown away, had to stop the movie and "rewind" to watch each one again. It was a bit of a let down to return to the smaller AR. The Lost Season 4 BD set was beautiful, especially in wide, still shots and close-ups of actors' faces. However, in quick movement through the jungle, there is a lot of blur (motion blur? judder? I don't know) which stands out because the rest looks so good. I've bragged on the Rush Snakes and Arrows concert BD in another thread . . . I can see individual gray hairs on Geddy's head (bet he loves that!) and knuckle hair on Alex's hands as he plays solos. I can see individual strings, and tell which ones are vibrating and which are not. That's pretty freakin' sweet! As a bass player, I can actually see which frets are being played, and figure out some of Geddy's tricks.

So I can tell an improvement. It's not huge in every scene, but quite often it is stunning. Perhaps I was expecting too much to think that every fast motion would be clear, but that's why I bought a plasma, after all. After spending $1700 on the TV and player, I just wish everything looked crystal clear and mind-blowing. But it doesn't. And I don't think that has anything to do with resolution (though maybe I'm wrong about that), but the limitations of film itself. (My set and player do support 24p, btw.)

Steve>JF

Agent
Thanks for all the help, guys. I think I'm going to buy a BD player and see how some BD movies look on it before I go out and buy another TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.