What's new

Blu Ray Profile 2.0 (1 Viewer)

GAMEGUY

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
I have been on other forum sites with my design for my new HT and I have got responses to wait for Blu Ray Profile 2.0. What is that? When will it be available? Any price estimates? What is diff. between that and 1.0?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
1.0 - Standard Blu-ray, plays movies and some Java code

1.1 - The above plus secondary video/audio decoders so that it can decode two images at once and mix them, usually for a picture-in-picture special feature. Also requires some persistent memory to store information even after the machine is turned off.

2.0 - The above plus an internet connection.

Right now, there are two 1.1 players available (the PS3 and Panasonic BD-30); the PS3 is likely also 2.0-capable. The features in the later profiles fall into the "nice to have" category for most, but if you want them, your choices are basically buying a Playstation 3 or waiting a few months.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Profile 2, aka "BD Live", pertains to the BD-J(ava) layer of the Blu-ray spec. It adds additional local storage requirements and Internet connectivity. New players will appear starting this Spring. If you want to leap now and be safe, get a PS3.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Wow, So what exactly will the internet connection offer? Web enabled features like how HD-DVD did? Doesnt the PS3 already have web enabled connection?

GAMEGUY

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
So if I want a Blu Ray only to watch movies and I will not need internet connection and dont play any games, will a 1.0 be ok for my use?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As long as you're fine with burning cds for your firmware updates and not having some of the special features like PIP audio available to you. Personally, if I wasn't in a hurry, I would wait for the 2.0 profile, but if you're in a hurry then at least get the 1.1 profile because you might change your mind later about accessing certain features.

Crawdaddy

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The Panny BD30 seems to be the profile 1.1 player to get, especially after the new firmware fix for the LFE bug.

_Man_

Real Name
Donovan
Not quite. BD-Live has nothing to do with BD-J, with which all players from day 1 have had to comply. Some (yes you, Samsung) don't handle it very well, but that's a manufacturer/firmware problem, not a profile issue.

As mentioned above, BD-Live is Bonus View (profile 1.1) plus internet connectivity (ethernet) and a minimum 1GB persistent storage. Oh yeah, and the hope that the players' firmware can deal with the 'profile 2.0' discs.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I've heard that in order for Paramount to re-release the recent HD-DVD iteration of Star Trek:TOS Season One to Blu-ray, the HD-I interactive layer, which supports many of the unique special features of that set, would have to be re-written to be compatible with BD-J. Since BD-J is supported even at "Profile 1.0" does that mean that any Blu-ray player on the market today will be able to handle a (theoretical) Star Trek:TOS Blu-ray release? Or will said theoretical release actually require Profile 2.0?

The answer to this question (assuming there is one) will probably determine whether I purchase a Blu-ray player now or wait until Fall.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's going to require at least Profile 1.1 to do the picture-in-picture commentary, unless Paramount opts to fake it with alternate angles/branching as some other releases have done.

GAMEGUY

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
SO if I get the Panny 1.1 Profile, when new movies are released on Blu Ray 2.0, will they play in my "old" 1.1 system?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, they will, but make sure you have an audio component that can process the advance audio codecs because the BD-30 doesn't do that, it just passes those signals through the bitstream.

Crawdaddy

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I too am waiting for Profile 2.0 to be complete before I buy/use my own player. Quite pointless sorta to have alot of Blu's and only being able to play them on a mates PS3 at his residence. Trust me, sometimes it's a pain in the ass for that.
Guess for Blu I'll rent more compared to buying them due to the reasons I stated above. Hell, I'd prolly need to upgrade my receiver soon too. Perhaps an Onkyo TX-whatever 705 or higher. Good thing my XBOX 360 has an HDMI out since I own the HDDVD add-on. Going to upgrade my speakers soon then in the future a full on HDTV with 1080p and HDMI 1.3.
As Cees said in another thread, might as well have the player and the discs to watch and then upgrade the display.
Technically I am "Purple" but I'm leaning far more red since I have the HDDVD add-on at my house. So I'll officially be Purple for the reasons I stated above when I have my own BD player in my home. Also factoring in my budget too.:P
So, all-in-all, I'll most likely buy a profile 2.0 player at a reasonably affordable price way later this year. Except I'm running fast out of connections on my SONY STR-DE598 receiver. My display is a CRT 20" Flatscreen Daewoo through compenent and personally calibrated. And dammit, I'm literally going to be needing alot of assistance when I upgrade to the HDTV.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

No offense, but that is a really, really small font and some of us have really really bad eyes. :cool:

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I agree. Since 2.0-players (Sony BDP-S550/fall 2008 and Panasonic BMP-BD50 at least) are coming quite soon, I would get one of those OR PS3 (which is now 2.0 via new firmware). These upcoming 2.0-players should be quite loaded with other good features (24fps, bitstream for HD-audio, HDMI 1.3, etc).

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
GREAT!:angry: Another remote to use! Um, can anybody recommend a universal remote for under $120? Sorry about the small font, I can read it just fine.
Eh, I might as well wait until 2009 before I buy a Profile 2.0 player. Beats having to use my buddy's PS3 at his home. I should also buy an HDMI switcher too since my 360, Digital Cable/DVR box and eventually my own BD player. But the thing is, I don't even have an HDTV yet!:eek:

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

No HD-set? At all? It´s just surprising, since you´re quite active in these threads.. ;)

I would get the HD-set before anything else.. Then 2.0 player. And then proper HDMI-receiver.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
My 360 has HDMI out and I have the HDDVD add-on for it. So I figure I could upgrade my speakers like I was planning already, THEN HDMI receiver, then the HD display then last but not least, a 2.0 player. I'd need the HDMI receiver more due to the fact I already owns a couple electronics with an HDMI port. My current receiver is overloaded on component and I'm using a splitter so I figure I should upgrade my receiver soon. Perhaps an Onkyo TX whatever 705 or higher.:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks