What's new

Blu-ray owners: What Blu-Ray Players do you have? (1 Viewer)

Super_E

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Eizenga
Longtime HD DVD only fan, but just got the Panasonic BD player for under $200. couldn't pass that up to have a few titles I want (Nothing Disney as I think they are going neutral next year, Just a GOOD feeling and I would love the Disney Features on a future ready machine like the A-35)... Mostly want Fox, Columbia Tristar Pictures and Lionsgate (Gotta have Lord of War!)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
20 gig PS3... don't see changing anytime in the forseeable future.
Will probably add an HD-DVD player though.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Don't have a player just yet, but bought a few titles recently, including the Blade Runner 5-disc set, which was a catalyst for me to finally take the plunge on an HD format sooner than expected -- wish I had decided a bit sooner so I wouldn't have bought a handful other titles in SD recently. :P

Anyway, plan to pick up a PS3 40GB from the local Sony store some time next week as soon as my Sony Visa card arrives -- FYI, there's a nice $100-back, 12-month interest free deal for those who have been sitting on the fence about getting one (or some other Sony player). ;) :D

_Man_

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Just added a Samsung BD-P1400 this past weekend!!!!!! Oh, am I having fun!!!!!!! :) I now have 16 Blu-Ray discs, BTW, taking full advantage of recent BOGO deals happening all over the place!!!!! :)

I shall cash in on the five free BR movie deal after the first of the year!!!!!!!

Next up for 2008: a new HT receiver with HDMI switching AND HD audio processing (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc.) all in one full swoop!!!!!!

Meanwhile, the wait is over!!!! The BR discs have been taken off the ice and are now ready to go!!!!!!! :D

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Sony BDP-S1 since last December.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Samsung BDP 1400. I'm pushing 1080P thru a 720P projector(go figger)....simply AWESOME!!!!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Hey Chris,

You can look up both new Denon Blu-ray players on Denon's web site now.

Denon DVD-2500 BTCI (MSRP $1,199)
Denon DVD-3800 BDCI (MSRP $1,999)

Denon USA | DVD Players & Changers

I was planning on just getting the 2500 but I might spend the extra as I am considering kicking up my HT another notch, BAM. :laugh:

I am now considering looking into:
Denon AVR-4308ci Receiver
Denon DVD-3800 BDCI Blu-ray Player

And if I get a miracle and come up with double the money for the receiver then the sky is the limit and my HT may end up with the AVR-5308ci in addition to the DVD-3800 BDCI Blu-ray. To many things to figure out and plan in order to see what I can do to make it happen. No matter what happens I am sure I will be happy with any of the Denon receivers I end up with. :emoji_thumbsup:

WadeM

Supporting Actor
As of today I have a Panasonic DMP-BD30K--watched The Road Warrior today & it looked & sounded great!

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I'm in the club. Picked up a Panasonic DMP-BD30K yesterday. No complaints.

-Reagan

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Just picked up a recon'd Samsung BD-P1200 for $200 at a Boxing Day sale today, and installed a firmware update. My 3-year-old Panavision Tau CT-30WX54 flat panel television (great tube picture - screw LCD!) HDMI supports 1080i, but not 1080p, so I'll miss out on 24fps film, but glossing over BD copies of Mad Max 2, Unforgiven and Bram Stoker's Dracula today were very impressive indeed - especially BSD's uncompressed PCM 5.1 track.

I tried to wait for 3 hours unaided this morning for Future Shop to open, to pick up a Toshiba HD-A3 for $99 N.I.B. as a gate crasher, but after two hours the call of nature was stronger than my willpower over the colder temperatures this morning. Could have had the best of both worlds for about $300, format war be damned, but I'm still pretty happy. Besides, the Samsung had discreet audio outputs, the Toshiba didn't.

Nothing wrong with investing in last year's technology when it can be updated!

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
Sony BDP S1 and not a single glitch, freeze, stutter with it either. Plays flawless, just like my XA2.

Russell B

Stunt Coordinator
When setting the PS3 video output should i select "custom" and pick 720p as the max resolution or select "automatic" where it will select 1080i as my max resolution? My tv is 1360x768 i'm not sure why my tv would accept 1080i through HDMI, can someone explain all this? Thanks.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I would think your TV accepts 1080i (but converts it internally to 720p or maybe 768p) mainly for compatibility's sake. I'm just making an educated guess, but I would suggest setting your PS3 to output 720p for best results. Of course, you can try both and see for yourself which actually works best in your case.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks