What's new

Blu-ray Glitch List - Titles you might want to avoid. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Old issue, I found out later that it started doing the same thing on other BD's so my player was the culprit. I've since bought a new player and all is fine with The Monster Squad.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I finally picked up The Last Starfighter on Blu-Ray, and there seems to be a brief musical cue missing. At about 28:50 (right as Beta pulls the covers off to reveal his still-forming face), there should be a loud orchestral sting followed by a sustained crescendo, but it's not there on my copy. It can be heard, however, in the commentary track (which was originally on the '99 DVD).

Has anyone else noticed this? I can't find any mention of it online.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Had a confirmation in another thread that the brief music cue from The Last Starfighter is indeed missing on the main audio track on the Blu-Ray. Has anyone else noticed this or heard from Universal about it? I've e-mailed them and am still waiting to hear back.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Here is the response I received from Universal (complete with misspelled first name):

----

Dear Brian,
Thank you for providing the information that we requested.
We have confirmed that the complete score is included correctly on the Blu-ray version of "The Last Starfighter." It appears that your BD player might not be designed for English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. Please check the player owner's manual for alternate audio settings, or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.
Sincerely,
Consumer Relations
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

----

I do have an older player, but I've checked the manual and set all the audio settings as best I can, and that music is still not there. It's not distorted or too quiet; it's just absent. It seems odd that this one sound element is the only one not registering. Can anyone else confirm that this musical cue is missing (or not) from their BD of The Last Starfighter?

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
I'll check it out tonight. I know the exact musical sting you're talking about. I didn't notice it when I first watched the Blu-Ray, but I might have been doing something else while I watched it.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Was anyone else ever able to confirm this about The Last Starfighter? I know it doesn't seem like that big a deal; I just want to make sure I don't have the wrong settings on my player.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck
Was anyone else ever able to confirm this about The Last Starfighter? I know it doesn't seem like that big a deal; I just want to make sure I don't have the wrong settings on my player.
Yes, I was able to confirm this problem. The music was missing for me too.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
I think I found a problem in Batman Forever, or maybe it's just my copy. During certain shots, a thin slice of the video from the top of the screen and a thin slice on the bottom of the screen are switched. I confirmed this on 2 TVs. Is anyone else seeing this. It was most noticeable during the parts near the beginning of the movie where Batman and that bank guard are trapped in the glowing-red vault.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by robbbb1138
I think I found a problem in Batman Forever, or maybe it's just my copy. During certain shots, a thin slice of the video from the top of the screen and a thin slice on the bottom of the screen are switched. I confirmed this on 2 TVs. Is anyone else seeing this. It was most noticeable during the parts near the beginning of the movie where Batman and that bank guard are trapped in the glowing-red vault.
I've gotten the movie out of Netflix and confirmed that this does appear appear to be a glitch with the transfer. (yes, I realize how pathetic it is that I quoted my own post)

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
Has anyone reported problems with playing the Machete Blu? I have a brand new Sony BDP-BX57, that is updated as of December. When I put the Machete Blu in, the Fox logo plays and then nothing. The menu never appears and the movie never plays. This is my second copy and same result. I want to get the other Mariachi Blu's but not until this is addressed. Could Sony have another fix on the way or did I just get into a bad batch of discs at BestBuy?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Well, it took months, but I finally got a (sort-of) straight answer from Universal about the missing music in The Last Starfighter (which they claim isn't missing):

"Thank you for your most recent email. We have nothing to add to our previous response. No plans have been announced for the release of any other version of 'The Last Starfighter.'"

It's a very small issue, but there seem to be a lot of "small" issues with Universal's releases that add up after a while.

SergioS

Auditioning
Real Name
Alfredo
Don't know if somebody already posted this....
Jumper bluray has pixelation at 17:32-33....
this in the italian release.....i don't think it's a movie effect....
could somebody verify this?
greets

TheHutt

Agent
Real Name
Peter
I miss one title here:
Escape From New York (Region B Optimum / Ufa / StudioCanal)
Disc was mastered from a blown-up SD source for European releases. Consider the Region A version by MGM.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I guess the new Conan the Barbarian Blu-ray should also be added. In a few spots, the choral elements from Basil Poledouris' score have been inexplicably removed from the 5.1 mix. Apparently, the UK and Hong Kong discs are affected as well (it is apparently the same mix from the Fox European DVD from several years back).
In addition, it's been reported that the picture in one scene is improperly filtered, turning it from a night scene into a day scene.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Thought I'd bring this thread to life again since Patton is being reissued and there has been some recent less than stellar Universal titles and "might" be sone future ones.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I currently have The Truman Show: Special Edition but would purchase the BD in a heartbeat if the present issue is finally addressed. Are there any updates? Has this got the attention at Warner?

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
Tequila Sunrise should be added to this list. Starting at around the 1hr 36min and all the way to the end of the film the picture turns VERY blurry. It almost look as if a gaussian blur filter was applied accidentally. This isn't just a dated master/ original elements issue, somebody made a really big mistake here, one that warrants a replacement disc.

This really amazes me: I've written to WB and several web sites, I've commented in forums and contacted retailers.... and NOBODY SEEMS TO CARE! It's not noted in reviews, and the only place it's "officially" acknowledged is on Caps-A-holic. Whenever there's a dated, DNRd transfer the forums light up like crazy, But this is a major mistake made by someone. I'm so disappointed that nobody cares enough about this movie to make a fuss.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks