What's new

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM GERMANY (1 Viewer)

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
AshJW said:
There are DVDs from the UK and also from Australia.
What these may look like?
Ups, I forgot that I own this german DVD of Walk The Proud Land and I had it seen not just long ago :rolling-smiley:

the PQ is indeed not that good. Especially if you watching it via projektor on a screen, like I dit.
Maybe it's okay on a small TV-screen.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Managed to get THE CARDINAL, SAMSON AND DELILAH and the 2 disc set of Roger Corman's PREMATURE BURIAL and THE HAUNTED PALACE while in Germany this week (great to browse all the shelves in Saturn And Media Market). Also picked up ROMEO AND JULIET with Laurence Harvey but only because it was going for just a few euros - picture quality is terrible though. I never realised that SAMSON AND DELILAH had an Overture and Exit Music - good to have those on the disc.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Douglas R said:
Also picked up ROMEO AND JULIET with Laurence Harvey but only because it was going for just a few euros - picture quality is terrible though.
I have the VCI BD; probably the worst transfer in my entire collection.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Do these German Blu Rays have English text and screen menus?

Any chance for a US release of Holiday Inn anytime soon or should I go for it?

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
MarcoBiscotti said:
Do these German Blu Rays have English text and screen menus?

Any chance for a US release of Holiday Inn anytime soon or should I go for it?
Wich ones? The ones, that Douglas R has posted?
Except SAMSON AND DELILAH (it's from Paramount) they will most likely NOT have English text and screen menus.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
The Blu of Walter Hill's STREETS OF FIRE/STRASSEN IN FLAMMEN plays on my region A Oppo so is probably Region Free; it looks pretty good to me, but I am no expert.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I was referring to all but more specifically to Holiday Inn I suppose, since it's the one I'm interested in picking up now for the coming holiday season... does anyone know if it's expected to be released Stateside anytime soon? I wonder if I should wait for a US release on BR.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
At the end of December Blindfold will be released on Blu-ray in Germany.

Blindfold.jpg

That picture from Amazon Germany looks like a DVD cover, but they are adament that it's a BRD.

I'll watch my French DVD to check how urgently I need to upgrade but I'm interested in this BRD.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I received the blu-ray of Hotel Noir from Germany this week. The storyline was a bit tired and the script needed some work but the film had a good cast and the best reason for watching it is the beautiful b & w cinematography. I doubt it will receive a wide release.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
The Koch Media Blu of BUCKAROO BANZAI is playable on my Region A machine, and has a DTS-HD 5.1 English track - glanced at a few chapters and the picture looks colorful.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Explosive Media will release two Universal-International mid-50s Westerns on Blu-ray in Germany: Backlash and Man Without A Star.

I have pretty good DVDs of both films but if these BRDs are top quality, I'll upgrade.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
There's a lot of Clint Eastwood on Blu-ray but at present Germany seems to have a monopoly on Coogan's Bluff.

Coogan's Bluff.jpg

There is a rave review on Amazon Germany, but I don't know how reliable that is as the disc has not been released yet.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Robin9 said:
I'm very interested. Gina Lollobrigida in hi def! I've always enjoyed this film. I'll check the on-line reviews before buying as a lot of European BRDs are sub-standard but I'm hoping this is really good.
I have this on the way and will post my impressions as soon as I get it.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Robin9 said:
There's a "review" on Amazon Germany which says the quality of this BRD is no better than DVD. Buyers beware . . . and make your own decisions.
I got Trapeze today and put in my MGM MOD disc and the new BD, and synced them up approximately, so I could A/B them. The BD is Zone (Region) B locked. The BD is just slightly sharper than the upconverted DVD but with tighter grain. One nice thing about the new BD is virtually all the white specks and slight scratches have been cleaned up, as opposed to the DVD. The sound is louder and more clear on the BD. The BD is not the revelation I was hoping for but I do appreciate the much cleaner image.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just received GAMBIT with Shirley MacLaine and Michael Caine on Blu Ray from Germany.
Incredibly it in 1.79 A/R when the film was 2.35. Buyer beware!

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
If anybody finds out whether "Man Without a Star" (due for release March 7) is playable on a Region A (U.S.) player, please post here.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks