What's new

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM GERMANY (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Robin9 said:
Midnight Lace will be released in Germany on Blu-ray by Universal in February. I hope Universal do not DNR this film into the dust. Midnight Lace has one hell of a cast: Doris Day, Rex Harrison and Myrna Loy. Talk about star power! I might well buy this disc.
Why Germany and not the USA or Canada?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Sky Captain said:
Why Germany and not the USA or Canada?
I'm no expert on the internal politics of the home entertainment business, but I have noticed that Hollywood Classics who control and administer the release of Universal films in Europe are far more active and forceful than their counterparts in USA and Canada. Innumerable Universal - and Paramount and RKO - films have been released on DVD in Europe but not elsewhere.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I just got in Universal's Western, Cave Of Outlaws (Die Hoehle der Gesetzlosen), today. It is a 1951 Technicolor production with McDonald Carey and Victor Jory. The BD has selectable English or German language. Picture is flawless - super sharp, clean, nice color. Koch Media. It states Region B on back of case but plays on my Region A test player.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
A couple of qustions regarding THE CARDINAL bluray. First, is this region free? Second, Amazon lists the aspect ratio as 1:77 which if true is a real shame because it should be 2:35.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
trajan said:
A couple of qustions regarding THE CARDINAL bluray. First, is this region free? Second, Amazon lists the aspect ratio as 1:77 which if true is a real shame because it should be 2:35.
I'll be checking the Amazon Germany listing for customer comments in two weeks. If no-one has complained, I'll place my order and report back.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Wade, hello! Missing you on Mobius.

(I'm happy with my R1 DVDs of these two fillms, and pleased that the Warner Archive got to THE HUMAN FACTOR.)

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
Bob Cashill said:
Wade, hello! Missing you on Mobius.
Yes, I have been among the missing - we have spent the last few months watching (seemingly) nothing but long form television, now into the third season of THE WALKING DEAD with THE BORGIAS 3 (among others) still to go! I really would like to get back to little known films one of these days so I can have something of interest to talk about on Mobius.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
trajan said:
Details are on the Concorde Home Entertainment website. It's stated to be 2.40:1 and region B. English audio is DTS-HD 2.0 Master Audio. German subtitles (removable).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Convoy 1a.jpg

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
I received the German Blu of SAMSON UND DELILAH today (total cost to my door around US$20.00) and it is Region Free (at least it plays on my machine) - just a quick check of the color and it looks good. Appears to be a step up from the standard DVD Paramount seemed to think was good enough for the domestic audience.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Bravo to Koch Media in Germany, who is putting out some really interesting BDs these days. Their "Western Legenden" series, which is a numbered series through 26 (so far) consists of standard DVDs and these blu-rays of American western classics:
# 7 YELLOW SKY
# 9 THE OX BOW INCIDENT
#16 THE LAST SUNSET
#18 THE TALL MEN
#18 QUANTEZ
#20 KANSAS RAIDERS
#21 CAVE OF THE OUTLAWS
#22 WESTERN UNION
#23 WALK THE PROUD LAND
#24 TWO FLAGS WEST
#26 WAR ARROW

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Ed Lachmann said:
Bravo to Koch Media in Germany, who is putting out some really interesting BDs these days. Their "Western Legenden" series, which is a numbered series through 26 (so far) consists of standard DVDs and these blu-rays of American western classics:
# 7 YELLOW SKY
# 9 THE OX BOW INCIDENT
#16 THE LAST SUNSET
#18 THE TALL MEN
#18 QUANTEZ
#20 KANSAS RAIDERS
#21 CAVE OF THE OUTLAWS
#22 WESTERN UNION
#23 WALK THE PROUD LAND
#24 TWO FLAGS WEST
#26 WAR ARROW
I don't believe Walk The Proud Land has a BD release, plus the DVD looks pretty bad to me.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
John Hermes said:
I don't believe Walk The Proud Land has a BD release, plus the DVD looks pretty bad to me.
that is correct, there ist no Blu-ray. And as far as I know there ist no advertising for a BD.

Wich is sad, because I like Audie Murphy westerns a lot.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
AshJW said:
that is correct, there ist no Blu-ray. And as far as I know there ist no advertising for a BD.

Wich is sad, because I like Audie Murphy westerns a lot.
Judging from the Koch DVD, it is no wonder there is not a BD for Walk The Proud Land. The DVD looks about like a widescreen VHS.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Keith Cobby said:
Robin9 : I have had the Blu-ray of Midnight Lace in my Amazon.de basket but having read the (few) reviews it doesn't appear to be a good transfer. I am hoping for more information before I reconsider.

I have recently received Blu-rays of Graf Spee (Battle of the River Plate) and Against all Flags, both transfers are of a very high picture quality. The Graf Spee was photographed in VistaVision and an extra on the disc shows the restoration comparison. Both titles highly recommended.
as far as I know, this version is cut off about 2 min.!

these are my sources:
http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=15655&vid=307187
http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/panzerschiff-graf-spee-blu-ray-disc

nonetheless, I've got meself a copy ;)

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
John Hermes said:
Judging from the Koch DVD, it is no wonder there is not a BD for Walk The Proud Land. The DVD looks about like a widescreen VHS.
There are DVDs from the UK and also from Australia.
What these may look like?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks