What's new

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM FRANCE (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The much sought-after film Violent Saturday will be released on BRD in France in early April. The title will be Les Inconnus dans la ville. The distributor is Carlotta who have been around for quite some time. Amazon France declare the aspect ratio as 2.55:1. Does anyone have any experience of Carlotta BRDs? I'm nervous about buying this disc without knowing anything about its quality but, on the other hand, I'd love to have a good Blu-ray rendition of this film in my collection.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
As a matter of fact, I just received my first ever Blu-ray from France, and it just happens to be a Carlotta release -- Joe Dante's Matinee (or "Panic sur Florida Beach") -- and it's absolutely beautiful in every way.
One person, one disc, so take that for what it's worth. I would certainly hope Violent Saturday is just as good. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thank you for that. It's certainly worth knowing that Carlotta at the very least is not exclusively a low grade merchant and may possibly be much better than that. I'll hold my horses until April and see if by then Violent Saturday has been released on other countries. If not, I'll peruse the opinions on Amazon France and perhaps buy the French BRD.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I think as long as there are no hard subtitles on the disc, then I would definitely be up for this. I really enjoy this movie with a stellar cast.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I just wouldn't pre-order, it's bound to come up on the net as to forced subs & pq. I have two french blu's, the 1976 King Kong & The Phantom Of The Paradise (both are region free), they look really good, & no forced subs.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have pre-ordered Violent Saturday today from France. I have some Carlotta DVDs and the sub-titles are removable so I am confident they will also be removable on the Blu-ray. I had a quick look at Carlotta's site and watched a brief trailer for the film (AR 2.55:1).

I can count the number of times I have pre-ordered on one hand, I am very keen to have a decent copy of this film so fingers crossed. I will report back in due course.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Carlotta is an interesting company and all of their BDs that I own have a "no subtitle" option. I have the three classic Borzage silents, SEVENTH HEAVEN, LUCKY STAR and STREET ANGEL in BD. They look wonderful and so very much better than the U.K. or the expensive American Murnau/Borzage Box versions. Their OOP FELLINI CASANOVA is also English friendly (English dub version) and worth it if you can find it. I only wish they would lead again in releasing landmark silents in BD. I don't think the American studios give a damn about doing it. DVD Beaver have captures of the four titles I've mentioned.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have now had the opportunity to watch the Carlotta Films Blu-ray of Violent Saturday. This must be one of the very best representations of a 1950's Cinemascope film to be released on Blu-ray. I found it to be utterly flawless. The sub-titles are removable.

I have Carlotta Films Allan Dwan DVD box set, which includes Slightly Scarlet (RKO 1956). This is top of my most wanted list, and if anybody from Carlotta is reading this would you please consider a Blu-ray release.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Keith Cobby said:
I have now had the opportunity to watch the Carlotta Films Blu-ray of Violent Saturday. This must be one of the very best representations of a 1950's Cinemascope film to be released on Blu-ray. I found it to be utterly flawless. The sub-titles are removable.

I have Carlotta Films Allan Dwan DVD box set, which includes Slightly Scarlet (RKO 1956). This is top of my most wanted list, and if anybody from Carlotta is reading this would you please consider a Blu-ray release.
Many thanks for your assessment of Violent Saturday. That's what I was hoping for! I'll place my order immediately.

I have a substandard Region 1 DVD of Slightly Scarlet from VCI. Is the Carlotta DVD really good?

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Robin9: My guess is that somebody at Carlotta really likes Violent Saturday. I would also refer you to the Blu-ray review at Blu-ray.com with which I fully concur.

I have the VCI release of Slightly Scarlet as well as Carlotta's. The Carlotta picture quality is a little better, and as a big fan of the film, was worthwhile to me. There is also a good interview with the screenwriter Robert Blees, but the disk does not have the commentary by Max Allan Collins which I like so therefore I am keeping both editions.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Amazon France is listing two different BRDs of Circus World. One has the number BOO6P180N2 and is priced @ 9.49Euros. The other is BOOCB31H86 and is priced @ 19.19 Euros. Someone has posted in this forum that their BRD is one of the best in their collection.

Does anyone know which is the better BRD? (Price is not a reliable guide!)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Amazon France is listing two different BRDs of Circus World. One has the number BOO6P180N2 and is priced @ 9.49Euros. The other is BOOCB31H86 and is priced @ 19.19 Euros. Someone has posted in this forum that their BRD is one of the best in their collection.

Does anyone know which is the better BRD? (Price is not a reliable guide so I'm not willing to assume the more expensive disc is better than the other one!)

Real Name
Wilbur Post
Another big thumbs up for Carlotta's "Violent Saturday" Blu - beautiful transfer and the Scope cinematography is frequently stunning.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
It is believed that Twilight Time is pursuing the release of Violent Saturday & The Kremlin Letter on BD. They did the DVD of both. The DVD of Violent Saturday was flat in that release.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Robin9 said:

Does anyone know which is the better BRD? (Price is not a reliable guide so I'm not willing to assume the more expensive disc is better than the other one!)
Hi Robin9 -- for screencaps from a recent French Blu-Ray release of CIRCUS WORLD, go here:
http://www.dvdclassik.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=33580

The forum text is in French. The top post contains a picture of the front cover of the Blu disc.
Judging from the screencaps (haven´t seen the disc myself), this is a very good transfer. Scroll down for a screencap of some brief restoration information.

Going by the cover pictured and the link to Amazon.fr included in the top post, the screencaps are taken from the release coded B006P180N2.

The disc coded BOOCB31H86 is due for release in France on 7/24/13 according to the Amazon.fr page. No distributor listed.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thank you for that link. The screen caps are as encouraging as screen caps can be, but of course we all know how unreliable they often are. I note with great sadness that the English soundtrack has forced French sub-titles: a deal breaker for me.

I'll wait to see what "the word" is on the other disc.

martinfish

Auditioning
Real Name
martin fisher
I have just received a copy of Les inconnus dans la ville (Violent Saturday) via Amazon France. As Keith Cobby says below;
'I have now had the opportunity to watch the Carlotta Films Blu-ray of Violent Saturday. This must be one of the very best representations of a 1950's Cinemascope film to be released on Blu-ray. I found it to be utterly flawless. The sub-titles are removable'. (April 19th).

I agree but the last sentence does not seem to apply to my disc (REF 920 306 - BARCODE 3333299 203065). The audio section of my copy is titled Version Originale and underneath Sous-Titree Francais with no option to remove them, and then 3 options as outlined in The Bluray com. review;

'There are three standard audio tracks on this Blu-ray disc: English DTS-HD Master Audio 4.0, English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0., and French DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0. For the record, Carlotta Films have provided optional French subtitles for the main feature. When turned on, they appear inside the image frame.'

Again the mention of removable subtitles, but there is no option to do so on my copy. Before I return it as faulty, can anyone help? Am I missing something or is there a French-only version as well as the removable sub-titles version? If anyone can point me towards the version where I can watch it in english without any subtitles I'd be very grateful!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks