What's new

Custom Cover Blu-Ray Custom Cover art thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Fritz Nilsen said:
Monotone, as in one-coloured. You know, b&w, the green cast on the Aliens covers. You are the only one who would have thought to have the backs of the Star Wars covers in b&w. It's your distinctive style. (and I like it).
Thought that is what you meant, functioning on 3 hours sleep

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
54ba55a4_version3o.png

The final cover in my Rocketeer Trilogy.
As you can see I used the US one-sheet art as a basis. I have stated before that I don't think it sells the film very well. On the other hand, it may sell the film, but it doesn't sell The Rocketeer. I think it is a major failing that the helmet isn't more prominent on the poster. They tried to rectify that by cramming in a poorly rendered Rocketeer figure (that I've plain dumped in my version).
Anyway, I isolated the figures from the blue background using the Color Selection tool and deleting all blue pixels. The background wasn't uniform blue, so I had to apply some touch-ups by hand. I'm using a pen tablet which gives me great control for that kind of work. The blue was at odds with the yellow light on Bill Campell during the photo shoot, so the amber background fit much better. The jetpack had obviously been added later, as it was lit completely differently to the actor. When I changed the colour of the background I had to apply a Color Balance layer to the jetpack to blend it with it's new surroundings.
As you can see I incorporated imagery from the in-movie propaganda film in the background. (And for an image on the back). Once again it pays to have a HD recording at hand for screen captures of whatever you want. On top of that I lifted some clouds from a wallpaper for the Sky Captain movie, the same one I used on my first Rocketeer cover. The old paper texture from my Mk.II cover is also there, but only at about 20% opacity. I just keep layering and layering and experimenting with the different blending modes until I'm happy.
I was using a 600dpi scan of my Laserdisc cover, and it had some lettering covering the plane at the bottom. I replaced part of the tarmac and plane with parts from a poster I found online. I do touch-ups like that and removing the background at twice the size of the finished cover. That way it smooths out some of the rough edges when I shrink it down to cover size.
Whenever I see the movie title on the top of a poster, I think it sort of closes the poster in and makes it claustrophobic. That's why I generally try to keep the title at the bottom or integrate it into the actual art somehow. I didn't want to obscure the hanger at the bottom, so my compromise was to cover up part of the all-important helmet instead. I was originally planning to use the art-deco title treatment for this, but the Indiana Jones style read better over the figures. This time I took the time to generate a "The" which wasn't part of the original title treatment originating from Europe. I cut and pasted elements from other letters to make the H, the only letter missing.
The challenge on the back was finding images from the movie that didn't clash with the colour scheme of the cover. I couldn't find any, so I settled for a publicity still and a Rocketeer trading card. Since the front poster neglected the Rocketeer, I wanted him at least to be visible on the back, which limited my options severely. Almost all his apperances in the film are in broad daylight, or against a black night sky, neither of which fit on this cover.
I added a 3 pixel brown stroke around the two loose images, and blended the borders in Overlay mode. The rest of the info on the back is just copied from my previous cover. A credit for J.K. Antwon for the spine image of the Rocketeer is once again included.
I have ideas for at least two more Rocketeer covers, but I think I'll stop with this one. I'll be updating my Rocketeer Mk.I and then the Rocketeer and I are finished.
PM requests for High Rez as usual.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
As promised, here's my Ben-Hur updated with actual specs. (Click to enlarge).
(I hope I get to do this for my wishlist customs like the Lundgren Punisher or Cyborg some day. When I made my first Rocketeer, that hadn't been announced, so I may just be a positive jinx on future releases. Build it and they will come...)
480999b4_benhurbdnew.png

Download by PM

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That Ben Hur is just too cool. I love the, what, 1800's flavor it has. I'd like to see someone do a marketing study and compare the studio cover art with the custom cover art found her and elsewhere on the internet. I know if I'm just walking by the display, this Ben Hur cover is going to catch my eye and make me want to buy it.
That art wouldn't look out of place on the cover of the book when it was originally published, I'm thinking. And it still works today.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Nice thread.

Would love to own Farewell My Concubine on a quality BD, but not enough to import the region-free(?) one from Germany given the relatively high cost. Hopefully, it'll get a release in the US or (region-free) UK in the not too distant future.

Originally Posted by Fritz Nilsen /t/314247/blu-ray-custom-cover-art-thread/60#post_3849602
2d3b61fc_smallcover2new.png

I vote for this one. I like the clean lines and shapes w/ touches of shading and grit and minimalistic color scheme for that elegant simplicity of (graphic-novel-like) artwork that suits the retro feel of it all. Nevermind that the core image on the front is taken from a popular poster -- if it works, it works. Only 3 months to go, aye?

May have to hit you guys up for custom covers of some of these posted here, eg. Rocketeer, Batman Beyond, Dark Knight, Star Wars set, etc...

Thanks for all the sharing...

_Man_

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
That BEN HUR is fantastic! Wow. Beautiful classical art on an epic scale, totally appropriate for the film.

Any custom covers out there for:

THE JAMES BOND Series

KING OF KINGS

IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD

QUO VADIS

METROPOLIS

SOUTH PACIFIC

THE SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
Here's a four case set (6 titles each) I made for the James Bond series.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/2777748-post2556.html
If anyone needs them, shoot me an email or PM.
sgood3 (at) comcast (dot) net

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Just so you guys wouldn't think I've gone cold turkey on the customs (or Star Wars):
I've been doing several commissions lately. Like this set for a 14mm saga cover and 12,5mm extras set:
previewx2.jpg

preview3d.jpg

preview4dr.jpg

... and here's one for a client who wanted a BD case to house the supplemental discs from the DVD releases:
preview1x.jpg

I'm sorry I can't share these, but maybe the people who commissioned them will make them available down the road.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Originally Posted by Fritz Nilsen /t/314247/blu-ray-custom-cover-art-thread/60#post_3856511
Just so you guys wouldn't think I've gone cold turkey on the customs (or Star Wars):
I've been doing several commissions lately. Like this set for a 14mm saga cover and 12,5mm extras set:
previewx2.jpg

preview3d.jpg

preview4dr.jpg

I'm sorry I can't share these, but maybe the people who commissioned them will make them available down the road.
It is my pleasure to announce that the commissioner has most generously agreed to let anyone have a copy of these.

They will be distributed by me via PM as usual.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
The circle is now complete. These were the first ever Blu-Ray customs I ever made. Now they're updated to reflect the specs of the actual releases.
Trilogy 3-disc version to come using the same concept.
5a910a2d_cover13m.jpeg

385d2546_cover1nmmf.jpeg

fb86e721_cover2s.jpeg

d932c333_cover3yu.jpeg

These are conversions of the beautiful VHS special edition case from 1993. There were just some small adjustments to be made to fit the emblems of the later films.
My new scanner has a very narrow depth-of-field, so scanning the dimensional cover wasn't totally successful. The out-of-focus bits lose some detail if you look closely, but I masked it with some Photoshop-generated noise.
I have a Jurassic Park font on my system, but unfortunately it doesn't match the title treatment precisely. I still think it was close enough to give it a pass.
I tried varying the shades of grey subtly across the covers, but they may end up looking not so subtle, or even identical, when printed. I'd love to hear from some real-world users of these.
Distributed by PM as always.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
... and finally the Trilogy cover for Jurassic Park.
04e9ca06_finaltrilogy.jpeg

Everyone who got the separates from me will find this in the same place. Everyone else feel free to PM me for this.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell /t/314247/blu-ray-custom-cover-art-thread/60#post_3869713
What kind of box does the JP Trilogy cover fit?
All covers are made to fit the "standard" US 11mm spine case. These cases can fit up to three discs at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks