What's new

Custom Cover Blu-Ray Custom Cover art thread (1 Viewer)

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Here are a couple of breakdowns of my covers, just so you can see how much of a cheat these "posters" of mine really are :)

B47h3z.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gzbWuy.png

sowhatwhocaresyo

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
Love the new Hitch covers Fritz...already downloaded and added to the collection :thumbs-up-smiley: Any plans to add covers for the Criterion releases to the set?...Man Who Knew too Much (1934), 39 Steps, Lady Vanishes, and Foreign Correspondent.

Gromilini

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Logan
Here are a couple of breakdowns of my covers, just so you can see how much of a cheat these "posters" of mine really are :)

Hell, Fritz, that's not cheating. That's an eye for design and layout, and recognizing great elements. Plus, long, painstaking work. It's not like we thought you actually painted those posters! ;-)

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Love the new Hitch covers Fritz...already downloaded and added to the collection :thumbs-up-smiley: Any plans to add covers for the Criterion releases to the set?...Man Who Knew too Much (1934), 39 Steps, Lady Vanishes, and Foreign Correspondent.

As always, once someone comes forward and commissions me to do them, I will happily make a cover for every single Hitchcock film known to man. So far there have been no takers for replacing the Criterions.....

Hell, Fritz, that's not cheating. That's an eye for design and layout, and recognizing great elements. Plus, long, painstaking work. It's not like we thought you actually painted those posters! ;-)

It actually started with the original client, who suggested combining elements from different posters. I had been doing it for a while anyway, especially when I had to translate international posters into English. As long as the results are better than the original I have no qualms about replacing elements on posters. I just wanted to show people what the process sometimes entails.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
My latest efforts in the Marvel Reel heroes series; covers for Captain America Winter Soldier and Civil War, presented here with the cover for the first film.
I'm trying to loosen up the Reel Heroes front template a bit, and bringing a semblance of design to the otherwise haphazard placement of panels in the official covers.
LygjKK.png

hZL6gC.png

xWE4g1.png

And I had neglected to notice that Thor 2 wasn’t a Paramount release, so I had to update the back to match its distributor, Buena Vista. Here is what the new version looks like.
h8kN5B.png

At the moment my client is sadly not sharing these (Phase 2 or 3, that is).

Robert George

Screenwriter
One of the absolute worst covers I have seen in recent memory is Olive Film's release of Zapped! from '82. I didn't get the disc so I didn't realize how bad it is until I saw a post from a fan asking for a better cover. I rarely make a cover for something I don't own, but this one was so bad, and the original art was so, um, "fun", I couldn't resist.

Zapped Preview.jpg

Last edited:

Robert George

Screenwriter
I had forgotten how bad the art was on Kino's release of White Lightning. Burt looks more like Charles Bronson in that graphic. Here's one using one of the original one sheets as a basis for the front...

White Lightning Preview.jpg

DGB

Agent
Real Name
Dan Bollinger
I had forgotten how bad the art was on Kino's release of White Lightning. Burt looks more like Charles Bronson in that graphic. Here's one using one of the original one sheets as a basis for the front...

View attachment 32892

I've been trying to purchase the membership on the Euphorx site to get some of the covers you've done, but I keep getting error messages . Do you know if they've been having problems over there lately?

Robert George

Screenwriter
I've been trying to purchase the membership on the Euphorx site to get some of the covers you've done, but I keep getting error messages . Do you know if they've been having problems over there lately?

While I'd like you to be able to help EuphoricFX with a subscription (it's my preferred site), I also know they have their share of problems with coding of the site. I hope you will keep trying, but I'll also tell you I also post my covers at Uncovered.name. They are a free site requiring only registration to download.

Robert George

Screenwriter
I actually made two version of Hombre from Twilight Time some time ago, neither of which I was completely happy with, but they were based on original one sheets, so it is what it is. That said, I stumbled across a good quality piece of art that I had used a smaller version of before so I decided to revisit a cover with rather more experience since those early covers. This is now my preferred version. Available at the usual places...

Hombre new Preview.jpg

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Here is a set of covers I've done for a cool project over at OriginalTrilogy and Toho Kingdom.

As many of you may know, the upcoming Blu from Kraken will feature the Japanese cut only due to licensing complications. The US theatrical cut produced by New Line back in 1985 featured new scenes, new music and some effective re-editing, and is quite different from the original.

In honour of the effort to rebuild the US cut in HD from the best available elements I have made some retro and nonretro covers, and will on this rare occasion also make labels to match.

These are available by PM.
vdCxEY.png

mV24dc.png

bufoEH.png

Robert George

Screenwriter
Every movie fan/collector has their favorites and favorite guilty pleasures. For me, one of the films I can revisit as often as I want and never gets old is that little slice of kitsch from 1968, Lady In Cement. The second film with Sinatra as Miami detective Tony Rome, this film has a lighter, less serious tone than the first "Tony Rome" film, and more importantly, features my favorite sex symbol of all time, Raquel Welch at the height of her career. Indeed, this is one of a bare handful of DVDs I have kept despite now being years into the HD era, even if it is more of a frustration than a pleasure to watch in 480p.

As you might imagine, when this and Tony Rome were announced as a double feature by Twilight Time, this instantly became one of my most anticipated Blu-ray titles ever. With just a few days before the disc releases, it was a forgone conclusion that I would attempt a custom cover to replace Twilight Time's. I use the term "attempt" because this is a double feature on a single disc so individual covers was not really an option, and doing justice to two films on a single Blu-ray cover is usually nearly impossible. In this case, I found some decent elements for both films that I felt I might be able to blend into something I would be happy to put on my shelf. After spending the better part of a day on the front image, I'm pretty pleased with myself. My cover is available in the usual places.

Tony Rome Preview.jpg

macdaddy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
Robert you are amazing! I've downloaded about a dozen of your covers and the one above will be mine also. Just a special ATTA' BOY for your The Shootist cover. The German one just did not get it. I appreciate your special talent and hope to see more soon.
Thanks, Gary

Robert George

Screenwriter
Thanks. I don't know about the "amazing" part, but it is certainly gratifying the hear someone appreciates my efforts.

Thanks for the mention of my cover for The Shootist. As I was working with the full poster, which I did use on the back of the cover, I had this idea to isolate just the image of Wayne on the front, almost as a portrait. It just seemed appropriate. I admit I was very pleased with how that one came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks