What's new

Custom Cover Blu-Ray Custom Cover art thread (2 Viewers)

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
... and here are a few I cannot share at this time.
behindthemaskbd.png

bigtrailgerman.png

thingbd.png

whoframedrogerrabbitbd4.png

hellraiserbd5.png

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I got to say, I love that Roger Rabbit cover.Another excellent job Fritz.I'm curious, when you do a foreign language cover, do you know the language, or do you have someone who speaks it translate it for you?I know when I let the browser translate web-pages, the syntax is 'awkward'

David

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Fritz Nilsen said:
Two recent commissions I'm allowed to share:

Troll 2 and The Warriors.

warriorsretrobd.png

Please note: Troll 2 includes the "Best Worst Movie" documentary. The Warriors cover makes reference to the inclusion of the Theatrical cut. All per the client's request.

PM me for download links.
Took me a minute to recognize the Wonder Wheel in your beautiful cover; I caught myself thinking, "Why is Michael Beck wearing a sombrero?"

Bad brain. :wacko:

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Mark Edward Heuck said:
Took me a minute to recognize the Wonder Wheel in your beautiful cover; I caught myself thinking, "Why is Michael Beck wearing a sombrero?"Bad brain. :wacko:
LoL. Ha ha. Post of the day.
I'm afraid I can't take the credit (or the blame) for that Warriors montage. That was from a Deviant Artist called Shaun Watson (I credit him on the cover). The client specified the use of that "poster", so I built the cover around it. That is usually the way I work. The style, colours, fonts and logos from the poster dictate the design of the spine and back.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
David Weicker said:
I'm curious, when you do a foreign language cover, do you know the language, or do you have someone who speaks it translate it for you?I know when I let the browser translate web-pages, the syntax is 'awkward'

David
To date I have only made covers in two "foreign" languages, German and French. Usually I copy the synopsis off of the French or German DVD or Blu-ray, or the client sends me the text in an e-mail attachment. Not being a native French or German speaker (or English for that matter), I have to rely on the client for proof-reading before final approval, but this doesn't impede the process much. If I were to do a cover in Cyrillic or Kana I would be completely lost though.

I'm sometimes asked to re-do/translate different language covers into English, and that's the only time I use Google translate. It can't give you a proper translation fit for print, but it gives me enough info to rewrite the text in proper English.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Whoa! SOLD.PM on the way. Thanks to you, and your client, for that breath of fresh air.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Fritz, a belated thanks for the link to the UK MALTESE FALCON, which looks great. Even though it was never one of the best ad campaigns, even by the lackluster WB poster style of the 40's, I still like it and prefer it to the US Blu release.

If it's not too much trouble, can you send me the link to the Lon Chaney PHANTOM OF THE OPERA cover again? I lost all my PMs when HTF switched over to the new server and that's where I had it, waiting for me to buy the Blu, which I now have.

Thanks and congrats on all the new covers, which look fantastic!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I had asked this earlier but no one replied so I thought I'd have another go at it, has anyone found any BD customs for the 'Die Hard' movies using the original artwork? Not the original one sheet artwork mind you but the same artwork found on the old VHS and laserdisc boxes/covers?

All of the new artwork for the BD's suck.

Thanks.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
My client just let me know that he would like everyone to have access to the Behind the Mask Blu-ray cover he had made.
behindthemaskbd.png

Please note that this particular cover mentions the inclusion of the DVD-only extras, with the intention of including the DVD copy as well. I do not modify commisioned covers to suit others' configuration of discs, sorry.

PM me for the download link.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Fritz,

Was just curious if you have a template that you follow or are your measurements from scratch. I ask because I have made some custom covers in the past, but my measurements nor templates ever filled the case once it was printed out. I could never figure out where the mistake was. I checked printer settings, measure and remeasured, but could never get the image to fill the page.

How do you get the image to fill the cover so nicely?

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Scott Burke said:
Fritz,

Was just curious if you have a template that you follow or are your measurements from scratch. I ask because I have made some custom covers in the past, but my measurements nor templates ever filled the case once it was printed out. I could never figure out where the mistake was. I checked printer settings, measure and remeasured, but could never get the image to fill the page.

How do you get the image to fill the cover so nicely?
The tried and true method is to scan an actual insert, and use that as a blank canvas. You'll find different inserts vary a mm. here and there, but generally this is the way to go.
I'm not sure if your troubles are caused by some scaling implemented by the printer (or software), or if the measurements of your created artwork is off.

I see a lot of people use the freeware program UndercoverXP (Windows only), which scales all prints to preselected templates (i.e. Blu-ray). This is supposed to be a foolproof drag-n-drop way of getting correct printouts. Never tried it myself though.

BTW, here are the "official" dimensions from the CustoManiacs site.
BLU-RAY

Blu-ray cases tend to come in several different sizes. Most important is the spine width measurement, which is typically either 11mm (approx size in USA and some Europe) or 14mm (Europe). Larger disc sets may also come in a 25mm spine format. We will allow some variation from the suggested cover sizes below but at a minimum the spine must be accurate in each case.

3118 (1523+72+1523) x 1762 (6mm spine)
3173 (1523+127+1523) x 1762 (10.75mm spine)
3120 (1490+140+1490) x 1748 (11.8mm spine)
3172 (1516+140+1516) x 1762 (11.8mm spine)
3172 (1501+170+1501) x 1762 (14mm spine)
3212 (1521+170+1521) x 1762 (14mm spine)
3224 (1523+178+1523) x 1762 (15mm spine - VIVA ELITE 5 DISC CASE)
3306 (1523+260+1523) x 1762 (22mm spine)
3317 (1511+295+1511) x 1762 (25mm spine)

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
The first of three:
madmax2bd.png

Mad Max 2, aka The Road Warrior.
This custom Blu-ray cover follows the old Warner Bros. template as closely as I could get it.

These will be available to share once the set is finalised.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Fritz, what would you say is the best type of paper to use to print up covers? I've heard brochure paper works best, but what would you recommend?

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Fritz Nilsen said:
T I see a lot of people use the freeware program UndercoverXP (Windows only), which scales all prints to preselected templates (i.e. Blu-ray). This is supposed to be a foolproof drag-n-drop way of getting correct printouts. Never tried it myself though. BTW, here are the "official" dimensions from the CustoManiacs site.
It works pretty well, and you can also create a template of your own with the program by tweaking a template, for say a Criterion sized case. And all in all does a good job of printing correctly, although depending on the printer, for using normal letter sized paper you will need to choose letter borderless as the paper size setting.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Professor Echo said:
Fritz, what would you say is the best type of paper to use to print up covers? I've heard brochure paper works best, but what would you recommend?
Not Fritz, but I had to experiment with a few different kinds because some would work great with my printer and others would not. I settled on a type of photo paper I found from an online paper shop, quality paper and really good prices. I had originally found them. Because I had needed some specialty sized paper and couldn't find it locally, and their paper ended up working so well with my printer that for covers, pictures, ect. I just keep reordering from them. One thing that I found interesting, my printer (an older Lexmark) printed much better than my wife's new Brother printer. Hers is so washed out and doesn't have good black levels, no matter the paper or settings. However it is a great scanner.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Fritz Nilsen said:
The tried and true method is to scan an actual insert, and use that as a blank canvas. You'll find different inserts vary a mm. here and there, but generally this is the way to go.
I'm not sure if your troubles are caused by some scaling implemented by the printer (or software), or if the measurements of your created artwork is off.

I see a lot of people use the freeware program UndercoverXP (Windows only), which scales all prints to preselected templates (i.e. Blu-ray). This is supposed to be a foolproof drag-n-drop way of getting correct printouts. Never tried it myself though.

BTW, here are the "official" dimensions from the CustoManiacs site.
Fritz,

I never thought to scan an actual insert. It sounds so simple. That is probably why I never thought of it. Thanks for the measurements, I REALLY appreciate it.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Also not Fritz,

I use RoyalBrites Premium Photo Paper Brilliant Gloss. I print on a Canon IP3300 and get very good results. The stock is a bit heavier than the regular inserts, but it hold ups very well.

I buy it at Sam's Club - I think 75 sheets for under $20 (it might even be around $12 - haven't bought any for a while).

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks