What's new

Custom Cover Blu-Ray Custom Cover art thread (5 Viewers)

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
13789066.jpg

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/9993/bruniversal.jpg

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Originally Posted by Mike Wadkins /t/314247/blu-ray-custom-cover-art-thread#post_3844996
Saw your thread and thought I would support it
Yeah. Thanks. It's very quiet in here. Eerie. Not like where you and I come from :)

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
These two were commisions, so I'm not at liberty to share them with anyone. I just wanted to show them off.
3c114207_smallterrorintheaislesb.png

For Terror in the Aisles I found a good-sized poster on Wikipedia. It had some folds I removed using the clone tool. It was a bit tricky with all the text, but whenever a crease crossed a letter I just cloned the entire letter from somewhere else.
What took the longest time was to replicate and expand the text from the skull into the general background. I found a listing of the films featured in this documentary on the Wiki page and copied that as text into a text layer in Photoshop. Matching the beginnings and endings of words where they intersected the titles on the skull took some legerdemain. It's pretty close, but not perfect, so I blended the edges to conceal the transition.
In the end, the client preferred an all black background, but I am showing my original version here. The specs won't be finalized until the movie comes out.
6dd11572_smallt2bynissen.png

I offered to make a version of the US Skynet edition of T2 with the Ken Taylor poster for a forum member. I think the poster is very cool, but I wouldn't have picked it for a cover myself. (Mostly because you can never make a matching set for the rest of the films.)
I used only the colours found on the poster for the logos and lettering. Red on black is usually dynamite (like the A-team van and Knightrider!) so the choice was obvious. I had to choose the back stills carefully so as not to clash with the colour scheme of the cover.
I've started retyping all the legal small print on my covers, individualizing it for each film and it just gives them that little extra polish. I feel I'm starting to get the hang of the backs. The trick is not to try to cram too much into them. You'll note there's no recap for the movie on there, as the extras are the main attraction of the Skynet edition anyway.
Taking commissions is a good way of diversifying, doing covers I otherwise wouldn't do for myself.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
d8d89347_smallswpt.png

1d2398a2_smallswot.png

Okay, so I wasn't completely done with Star Wars after all (I made a previous set I haven't posted here so far.)
These are inspired by the mock-up covers that were used as placeholders on Amazon etc. when the Blu-rays were just announced.
I thought they looked okay and found it a pity they weren't used, so I just made some myself. I tried soooo hard to make a cover with a simple background colour, but in the end I just couldn't resist adding some texture to it. I'm a slave to textures :)
This is as simple a cover as I'm ever likely to make. I didn't even sign them.
A third cover for the extras discs is coming up in a day or two.
They'll fit a regular 3-disc case, so anyone who wants them can PM me for High Rez files.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
9b88cb84_smallpianocover.png

I felt compelled to make one for The Piano. This is for the Australian release with it's God-awful "Dendy Heart" cover.
I love the film. Saw it in the cinema back in '93 when I was in the army. The film wasn't too big a hit in the barracks, but I was floored.
I found a tourist photo from the beach that was featured in the film, erased the photographer's wife, tweaked the colours to match the photography in the film and added some ethereal figures to the beach. The figures had to be rotoscoped from their backgrounds before being added, something I try to avoid because it's such a pain to get the edges right. Couldn't be helped this time.
The photo wasn't quite sharp enough to support the blow-up, so I had to run a few filters on it and add some noise. Tip: Using the Add Noise filter (sparingly) will give images a perceived sharpness, even though the detail isn't there. I use it from time to time when I only have small or blurry images to choose from.
I wound up with a really clean back this time. I had all the Dolby and DTS logos and stuff on there originally, but found it distracting from the serene beauty of the beach. I also scanned parts of the piano score (my wife plays) for the film to add as a background texture, but that also had to go. It just got in the way.
I have several other ideas for a Piano cover, so I may make another, not quite so serene, soon.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Originally Posted by Mike Wadkins /t/314247/blu-ray-custom-cover-art-thread/30#post_3846710
Very nice
Thanks. I'm not quite convinced myself. It's just, you know, too safe. I'll have to start from scratch tomorrow.

(You and I are the only two members in this mutual appreciation society)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks