What's new

Blu Ray audio to DVD 5.1 system (1 Viewer)

Tim W

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Watson
Hi everyone, I have a Sony Blu Ray player (BDP-S1100) and a Sony 5.1 DVD system (DAV-T2140) . I usually use my 5.1 system to listen to music DVDs in surround but currently some of my favorite artists are releasing their albums in 5.1 on Blu Ray only. My question is if I can play a Blu Ray on the Blu Ray player and connect it to the DVD system so I can listen to them in surround? Can the audio go from one to the other and will the audio play correctly in 5.1? Thanks!

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Looked up your players - and there is no way to get the signal from the blu ray player into the sound system -
Input
Analog Audio Input(s): 1 (Rear)

So you have no way to get your digital signal from the blu ray player into your DVD system to listen to the blu ray music. There also isn't an internal decoder in your blu ray system to decode any of the loose less audio formats that are available on blu ray - and your DVD system does not decode these formats either.

So it looks like you will have to upgrade your sound system if you want to listen to your blu ray discs. That system only up-scales DVD video over HDMI.

You have encountered the dangers of getting a home theater in a box - as you have no upgrade path available and you have to replace the entire thing.

If you have a receiver based system - you could have kept the speakers and just upgraded your receiver if needed, instead of having to replace the entire system - as the speakers that come with that package are only designed to work with that package.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks