What's new

Blu Ray and SA-CD & DVD-A (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
My Pioneer DVD player has given up the ghost. It's doing this nasty radial scratch thing on every disc it eats. Thus my transition to Blu Ray may come sooner than I expect. Why spend $120 on a DVD player when that modifies the price point of PS-3 to make it acceptable.

My question is this. Are there any existing Blu Ray players that play SA-CD and or DVD-A? I bought the pioneer specifically for the multifunctionality, so I would really prefer it.

I'm currently borrowing a DVD player from a friend, so I'm bandaged at the moment, and I might consider waiting 6 months for a rev2 PS3, but does anyone suggest otherwise?

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
The Panasonic will do DVD-Audio and the PS3 will do SACD. I'm not certain on the other players.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Cool. I had a feeling anything Sony would bypass DVD-A. Of course almost every DVD-A I have has DTS on it that (as far as I can tell) is as good as the DVD-A specific track. Glad to know the PS3 will support my SA-CDs, which barring dualdisc, is my favorite next gen audio format. Of course it's likely to be a "Beta" for audio... much like Minidisc.

Now to decide whether I should wait on the rev 2 PS3. Especially considering that they are in stock everywhere, I wonder if a price drop will accompany a rev 2.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I think that the PS3 will only allow SACD signals via HDMI, so if you don't have a receiver or such with HDMI you're out of luck (like me).

PerryD

Supporting Actor

It took the PS1 and PS2 around 3 years or more before their new hardware redesigns came out. Is that what you waiting for with the PS3?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Not at all. I'm thinking more of a rev2, wherein all the launch bugs have been fixed and the chipset has been finalized for the initial model.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

Hmm. This is discouraging. On my Pioneer, I had to use analogue 5.1 cabling. Is this not available on the PS3? I suppose they'd want to keep it simple for the average gamer.

Don May Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, the PS3 doesn't have the 6 channel analog outputs. It bummed me out as well.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I suspect that a PS3 purchase, at whatever point, would lead me fairly quickly to both a new HDMI 1080p TV purchase as well as an HDMI switching receiver purchase.

That price point of $599 is looking higher and higher :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to my world! :D

My 7 year old HD set doesn't support 720p and my receiver is HDMI free. So I'm waiting for HMDI 1.3 capable TVs and receivers (with deep color or whatever) and am looking to upgrade in late 2007 or early 2008.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Luckily, for the most part, my TV is going to give me some upgrade with component. But surely I will need to get HDMI 1.3 compatible equipment with eventuality.
At which point my old 50" HD warhorse will move to my bedroom with my Wii, an HDDVR, and an "old style" DVD Player.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
John, it's my understanding that you can playback 2ch SACDs via the main L and R of the PS3. But no multich unless you have an HDMI 1.3 rec'vr.

If high rez aud was any precursor, I'd look to Pio and Denon to give you SACD and DVD-A playback in a BD player before Sony. I have no reason to believe Sony will ever support DVD-A playback in one of their pieces. Hell their first gen BD player doesn't even freakin' play CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks