Blu and the demise of the boxset?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by dana martin, Mar 19, 2010.

1. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    from the start of the format war, the end of the mixed box-set started, and this is to all of the studios. Yes we will get this trilogy, or that quad, maybe a mixed blessing like the Mel Brooks. but where is the Kubrick box, the blu's were released the same time as the director series box was. is this the end of a WB signature series collection. I know as well as many others, that sometimes you find a movie in one of these that just surprises the hell out of you, and that is a good thing. But then not all of the titles would have made great single releases, but as added content only helped to make a box-set shine that much brighter. would like to know what others think.

2. kemcha

kemcha Second Unit

Not at all. I've seen some of these Blu-ray mixed boxed sets at Best Buy. You just have to do some looking. While there aren't many just yet, they are out there. I've seen a boxed set with western movies, a boxed set with disaster movies and another boxed set with superhero movies. It just depends on the retailer and whether they feel like stocking those particular releases.

3. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    Dirty Harry was a boxset. upcoming Eastwood will be. i think WB will slowly transition into combo boxsets where both BD&DVDs are included.

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    And I received the Batman Motion Picture 1989 - 1997 BD Boxset last week (from Amazon/UK). The Bond BD boxsets will be resumed in the future, I'm confident. My most eagerly awaited set was the The Godfather BD boxset.

Box sets still exist.

Cees

5. dana martin

Dana Martin
    Yes i know , there are some out there, but not to the extent that DVD had at it peek run, we are going to get packs for trilogies, and that is fine, Fox will put out some more mixed packs (war set comes to mind) and WB had there starter sets, Action, Drama, and the such, but what i was discussing, is a Bette Davis set, with the way things are with MOD now, some titles i am happy to get on pressed disc, but if this is the future of the format, the question is when, technology is a blessing and a curse all in one, i have 9 times as many DVD's as i had VHS, and now if you cant find it, you can stream it, or maybe MOD, this is a blessing and a curse, because i think the biggest thing in all my years here is that we are all fans of the film format, i want my grain damn it, i want it as close to the original theatrical presentation as possible, my biggest thing is that i find myself more interested in titles that are not the nest big thing from Hollywood, i have time, it took to long for African Queen, but my it beautiful, breathtaking, and IMO worth the wait. i just hope that the rest of the classic releases, end that well.

6. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I wouldn't expect box sets along the lines of Warner's Signature Collection releases (based on an actor / director) simply because the cost would be too high to produce them. The studios are having a hard enough time selling the individual catalog titles.

7. dana martin

Dana Martin
    for a larger collection i can see the issue, some of the things i have heard mentioned, here and elsewhere, ideas that WB had for sets, use them as the example, one had them redoing the Superman box, and the Astaire & Rogers set as well. the only way i think we will see a signature set like the original ones will be the use of double feature disc, for some of the set, by the way the Eastwood box that is coming is DVD, according to the announcement. A lot has to do with the economy, and what will sell right now. someone made a comment about $5 movies on DVD, and were not talking about bargain bin at walmart.

From (Grace)ing your avatar(tongue firmly planted in cheek) i am assuming that there is a catalog title that you are waiting on. I am fine with the next thing from Hollywood, but do i need the next in the Twilight Saga, no i think i would rather wait till something that holds up to arrive. Don't get me wrong , love a good popcorn movie, but some time, i just want to get lost in to the golden age.

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Oh, I am most definitely in the camp that buys a lot of catalog titles on Blu. The problem is that the camp is fairly small right now.

Double features will help, but not for titles with any significant bonus content.

9. media-junkie

media-junkie Agent

I think the problem is that most of these Blu-ray boxed sets are priced high. Being that I'm new to Blu-ray, most of the Blu-rays that I have purchased have been around $10-15. My income is limited, like most consumers, and my budget for buying Buy-ray movies is limited to around $15.

Boxed sets generally run around $55 or higher for three movies. Boxed sets generally should be priced lower than their single releases ...

10. dana martin

Dana Martin
    What will Blu-ray products cost? from bluray.com

As with any new technology the first generation of products will likely be quite expensive due to low production volumes. However, this shouldn't be a problem for long as there is a wide range of Blu-ray related products (players, recorders, drives, writers, media, etc) planned, which should help drive up production volumes and lower overall production costs. Once mass production of components for Blu-ray products begins the prices are expected to fall quickly.

According to the Blu-ray Disc Association, the overall cost of manufacturing Blu-ray Disc media will in the end be no more expensive than producing a DVD. The reduced injection molding costs (one molding machine instead of two, no birefringence problems) offset the additional cost of applying the cover layer and low cost hard-coat, while the techniques used for applying the recording layer remain the same. As production volumes increase the production costs should fall and eventually be comparable to DVDs.

time, i remember the days of VHS with prices that made rental the only option, the on-line retail industry has a better grasp to change this quickly, with price drops and sale prices that mirror standard DVD at some points, agreed sometimes the price seems too high, but as someone once said, if someone is willing to pay that, then it will remain that way. trust me i understand the budget issue as well as any one else, and have lots of the less costly blu's in my collection, i watch for sales, i use the hell out of coupons, come on when you can get both toy story's for less than $15, it's a good week.

11. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

Of course that article doesn't add the cost of making new masters, which can be considerable for catalog titles.

12. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Not really a fan of boxed sets for feature films in any format (for the most part) -- at least from what I've seen anyway. Doesn't matter whether it's very old catalog titles, catalog from the recent couple decades or something new.

I rarely find that I want to own more than 75% of the titles in a boxed set (at least given the kind of asking prices anyway) -- and more likely, I'd probably only care all that much about 50% of such sets and would likely only go for the others at some serious bargain bin prices.

So for the most part, I find separate standalone releases to work best (w/ few exceptions). But yeah, I'm sure that will vary depending on one's partcular interests (and whether that would fall into more niche, maybe cult-ish, territory).

_Man_

13. media-junkie

media-junkie Agent

I hear you. Generally, there are like one or two movies out of a boxed set that I'm generally interested in so I end up passing on them as well.