What's new

Blown Subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Jamesurq

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Hoping that someone can tell me if I need to repair/replace the sub or the amp in this scenario. It's a 15" Parts Express subwoofer (build your own - ie: screw in the sub and amp). 240W RMS amp 250W RMS speaker REALLY good bass from this cheap ($300) setup. Had it running for about a year with zero problems and all of a sudden it's lost 80% of it's kick and it's buzzing. Question is, is it the amp or the speaker? I've attached a youtube video that hopefully will help:

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. Is it still under warranty? Some of the older PE stuff had 5 year warranties and they will honor them. 2. Can you push in the driver without it making a scratching noise? Make sure the amp is powered off? 3. Do you have another driver to test this with? Another amp? Rule out the offending party. The video sounds like a driver that has the voice coil unwinding. Have you really cranked it up lately before this started happening? Did someone else have control of the system while you weren't around?

Jamesurq

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Yep - it's under warranty. I sent the video to someone in their technical department. They've asked me to hook up the amp to a functioning speaker just to be sure that it's not the amp (as you did) - and assuming it works, they're going to issue a return authorization for the speaker and replace it. To answer your questions on cranking it up? the answer is never past about 70% - but yes, I run it pretty loud. Here's hoping the replacement one doesn't do the same thing in another 6 months. But the more that I read, the more a multiple driver infinite baffle system in the crawl space sounds like a good plan. Now I just have to find an excuse to cut a huge hole in my hardwood floors ;)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are numerous decorative grates you can put over it. The jump between your sub and an IB like this is like going from a mini-van to a Lamborghini.

Jamesurq

Auditioning
Real Name
James
So apparently although the driver is under a 5 year warranty, the amp (which is what it broken) is only a 1 year warranty. Figures. So for a $35 bench fee, $20 in shipping back and forth, they'll repair my 1 year old $90 amplifier.... groan...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks