What's new

Blown channels on older Pioneer VSX (1 Viewer)

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
I have an older Pioneer VSX-D508. I have just experienced my very first problem with it in over 6 years. I am not getting any sound from my fronts/mains with the receiver in TV mode. I checked and I am getting fronts from VCR and from my tuner functions but not from TV. Does this mean that my receiver has blown something in this domaine or what? I'm not even sure if this receiver has seperate amplifiers for each channel or what. If I am getting sound from the other function areas then it can't be the amplifiers right? With the receiver set to TV, using "digital" cable, I show a signal to all 5.1 channels. However, I only hear sound from the center, the surrounds and the sub. No fronts. I changed the signal to analog and still the same, both in the 100+ digital channels and in the regular network channels. I put a tape in the VCR and switched the receiver accordingly and I got sound from the fronts. My tuner also plays from the fronts just fine. I have had this receiver for 6 years now and never any trouble. I have recently added new fronts but they are not the problem as they sound fine with other functions on the receiver. What do you think? I know I need a new receiver anyway but I would like to salvage this one for the bedroom. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am leaving to see a movie now but will be back to check HTF later. Thanks in advance. MM.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I have a VSX-D510. Did you notice the receiver makes a clicking noise when changing between stereo and surround? Maybe this is the turning on of the amp for the center and surrounds. If it is two separate amps I think the stereo section may have blown.

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
My receiver clicks as it changes from surround to stereo and when it changes different functions. Like from tv to vcr to dvd to tape etc. etc. I think even the newer Pioneers do this. My receiver has always clicked. I just assumed it was a Pioneer thing as I have heard several others do this in stores also. My receiver does not click however when I select a digital signal vs. an analog signal though. It never has. I'm not sure what has happened. I do get surrounds and center in 5.1 Just no mains and I get mains in stereo mode. I get mains in all modes except TV. Could this be some sort of decoder maybe? I love my HT but must admit that I am somewhat of a novice, especially in the actual receiver construction/build area. Anyone, please help if you can. MM

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Well, I have a 709, so I am not completely familiar with your model. First a couple of questions:

How is your TVs audio connected to the receiver? with 2 RCA type cables (L&R)?
When you say "TV mode" do you meen the input selector (TV input) or do you mean a DSP (TV/cinema/standard/musical/drama, etc)?

If you mean the actual TV input, try using a different analog input (VCR, VCR2, LD or DVD) and see if that resolves the problem. If so then you have a problem in the analog input section.

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the TV is connected to the receiver through two RCA's. That is a great suggestion. I will attempt to connect to the receiver using a different analog input. I think that should do the trick seeing as how all of the other input jacks work fine. Let me try that. I'll post results. MM

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
I connected to the receiver using the CD RCA input and the sound through the fronts is fine. I guess this tells me that my analog TV input switching is bad right? I wonder if I should even bother having this repaired since I will be moving it in to the bedroom anyway. Also, I play my cds through my dvd player so that cd input is free. It's just not going to indicate tv on my receiver when I'm actually using the tv/receiver combination. I'm going to get a quote on the repair just in case it's pretty cheap. Do you know if this is an indication that other areas of the receiver will be going kaput? I mean, this will not directly lead to problems with other inputs will it? Thanks for your help Julian.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
You're welcome. :)

The last time I had a receiver "looked at" the "look at" fee was $50. The "fix-it" fee was a lot higher.

Unfortunately, for most mass-market stuff these days, fixing it doesn't make economic sense. Exceptions would be something they don't make anymore.

If I were you, I'd move it to a location where I didn't need a TV input, or just live with it until I bought a new receiver.

One final thought: my Pioneer has a "rename" feature: my TV input has been renamed "TV-Prizm", VCR1 to "Sony BetaVCR", etc. Can you "rename" your CD input to TV?

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think my receiver has that option. I checked in the manual and no mention of it. That would be really cool. There is no secret access that I don't know of is there? I am going to live with it for now. I am trying to decide if I should buy an H/K 525 now or save a little longer and go with the 7200. I can get the 525 from OneCall at a little over $500.00 shipped. The 7200 on the other hand is a little over $1500.00 shipped. For my limited applications, I don't know how much difference I'll hear from the two. I love the setup and features of the new 7200 (logic 7 applied to digital sources, more clean H/K power) but 30wpc is not even going to be audible to my ears at less than reference levels. $1000 bucks is a $1000 bucks you know? I'm pretty sure that I will end up amping my two front channels for music anyway so I may just save half the amount and put it towards a decent 2 channel amplifier. That way, I can get a receiver now and still have the power I want for music. The older Pioneer, which I have to say I have been pretty happy with over the years, will go to my bedroom so my girlfriend will have something else to complain about. Thanks again. MM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks