What's new

BLOW OUT (The Criterion Collection) Comes To Blu-Ray! (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
FANGORIA: The Criterion Collection announced a very exciting release today, their DVD and Blu of one of De Palma’s best, BLOW OUT. Head below for the neat cover art and full details.

While not all of his output is fantastic, it’s hard to imagine someone not loving at least a couple of De Palma films. 1981’s BLOW OUT is hitting Criterion April 26. If you’ve never seen it, this will no doubt be a fantastic opportunity.

Here’s the Criterion synopsis and DVDetails: “In the enthralling Blow Out, brilliantly crafted by Brian De Palma, John Travolta gives one of his greatest performances as Jack, a movie sound-effects man who believes he has accidentally recorded a political assassination. He enlists the help of Sally (Nancy Allen), a possible eyewitness to the crime who may be in danger herself, to uncover the truth. With its jolting stylistic flourishes, intricate plot, profoundly felt characterizations, and gritty evocation of early-1980s Philadelphia, BLOW OUT is an American paranoia thriller unlike any other, as well as a devilish reflection on the act of moviemaking.”

-New, restored digital transfer, supervised by director Brian De Palma (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)

-New hour-long interview with De Palma, conducted by filmmaker Noah Baumbach

-New interview with star Nancy Allen

-Cameraman Garrett Brown on the Steadicam shots featured in the film within the film

-Select on-set photos from photographer Louis Goldman

-Original theatrical trailer

-A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Sragow and Pauline Kael’s original New Yorker review

I look forward to its future placement next to SISTERS on my shelf. You can find out more about the release and preorder it right [COLOR= #cc0000]here[/COLOR].

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
LOVE that cover art. While I was hoping for a Quentin Tarantino commentary, just having a high-def transfer of Vilmos Zsigmond's exceptional cinematography will be reason enough to retire that blurry, decade-old MGM DVD.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I love the look of Body Double, Blow Out and Dressed To Kill and between the three of them Blow Out is my favorite and I personally believe Travolta's

best performance. I'm still delighted to mention this film to those that haven't heard of it and have them come back to me ranting and raving about how good it is.

I remember thinking at the time, and still think, how much DePalma's work on these films brought back to the screen the type of mastery in direction and

production afforded to HItchcock.

I am glad to see that Criterion is the company that is going to be bringing one of my all time favorites to Blu-ray.

April can't come fast enough.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Blowout, inspired by BlowUp, is a fantastic film, beautifully photographed and edited. Probably DePalma's best film.

I LOVE the photograph they have chosen for the cover. It really captures that this film is the last gasp of the classic 70's paranoid thriller, and not in a bad way.

Doug

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Great film. Can't wait! Man Criterion is just sucking my bank account dry these days! LOL. And the cover art is terrific!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks